The Munsters Today on DVD??

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Krister_, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Krister_

Krister_ Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,

does anyone know if The Munsters Today will be released on DVD?? I remember that I watched this series that aired 1988-1991, I hope that more people enjoyed this series. It was also called The New Munsters, I hope so much that there is more people out there who wants it out on DVD but please write back guys and tell me about your memories regarding this series and if you liked it or not

All the best,

Kris

2. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

I think that among the thousands of shows I've seen in my lifetime, The Munsters Today is the worst show I have ever seen. People talk about My Mother the Car but compared to The Munsters Today, My Mother the Car is Masterpiece Theatre.

3. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I enjoyed this show as well - I'd buy it if it was cheap.

4. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

It WAS cheap.

5. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Easily one of the five worst sitcoms EVER, especially in the first season.

Yes, I actually watched some of the second and third season shows of this videotaped train wreck just to see how bad it would be.

As I remember, in the first season, it was a really, really poor imitation of the original; while the later years they had Eddie wearing "Miami Vice" colored suits and trying to be cool.

If you ever get the chance, try to catch one of these because you won't believe your eyes!

6. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    I have never seen this show. Can it possibly be worse than "Mama's Family?" That has always been my choice for worst sitcom ever.

7. Bryan Krantz

Bryan Krantz Stunt Coordinator

I vote for this as worst for 2 reasons. 1) It was bad all on its own merit. Poor production values and a misguided focus for the show. 2)It is a horrid "update" of a TV classic that still holds up today.

8. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

This lasted one more season than the original did? Wow.

9. Michael Alden

I challenge anyone (over age 7 that is) to actually sit through an entire episode. I don't think it can be done.

10. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

I honestly don't think my 5 year old could sit through it, not after he's seen the original. I gave it a shot once, but couldn't get through the opening credits once I saw John Schuck as Herman. Just awful.

11. Steve Phillips

Trust me, "Mama's Family" is classic compared to this! I kinda like Mama, actually!

"The Munsters Today" even makes those FOX Munsters movies look good. It's THAT bad!

12. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

!!!! Mama's Family was incredibly well-written; far, far better than any of the tired, "let's sit on the couch and insult each other" family sitcoms on tv today! It wasn't as sophisticated as All in the Family (despite the fact that Mama's house looked exactly like the Bunkers), but then again it was in syndication at 6:00pm so they couldn't exactly focus on taboo subjects such as rape and abortion. Please don't compare Mama's to derivative cheesy remake crap like the Munsters Today.

13. Robbie^Blackmon

Robbie^Blackmon Stunt Coordinator

Mama's Family also has that catchy theme...

14. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    Well, not to hurt anyone's feelings, either fans of "The Munsters Today" or "Mama's Family," but I have NEVER seens a worse written, directed or acted show than "Mama's Family" in my opinion. Absolutely the bottom of the barrel to me. To each his own, though. Judging from the responses here though, I guess I'd probably be ranking "The Munsters Today" even lower if I'd seen an episode. Yikes! Inconceivable!!!!

15. Bryan Krantz

Bryan Krantz Stunt Coordinator

Mama's Family while not the best, was easily better than many of its contemporaries. Try 'Gimme a Break'

16. Steve Phillips

John, you can't be serious. "Mama" may not be the greatest, but it is miles ahead of stuff like "Saved By the Bell", "Who's the Boss" or "Punky Brewster"..

Nothing will ever touch "The Munsters Today" though, especially the truly awful first season.

17. Michael Alden

Just seeing those shows listed makes me very thankful I was a kid in the 60s instead of the 80s. We may have had some bad shows then, but nothing that moronic and poorly produced. As the book on BAD TV wrote about Saved by the Bell, "it is such a mess it caused us category placement trouble since the sitcom elements are so unfunny, it doesn't seem like a sitcom, and the dramatic moments so undramatic, it doesn't seem like a drama either. What is it?"

18. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    Hey, I certainly don't mean to disparage anyone's taste, as this only my opinion and nothing more, but I am indeed completely serious. Especially with that cast and the pedigree of the Family sketches on "The Carol Burnett Show," "Mama's Family" should have been so much better than it was. To me, it was painful watch to the point of being insulting.

However, thanks to this thread I am having repressed memories surface of other series that I had (mercifully) blocked out which I now remember were even worse: I think there was one called "Small Wonder" about a robot daughter. And of course "Charles in Charge" and "Saved by the Bell," as you pointed out. Oh the humanity!!!

I need to call my therapist now...