What's new

The Munsters - Second Season (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
After anticipating the release of the second and final season - due out on Oct.25 - I managed to get a copy a bit early. One item I will mention from the outset is that the packaging theme is alright in itself, featuring Herman's head, but the manner in which it was done is, quite frankly, very user unfriendly. I had to really work at pulling the thin cardboard that holds the 3 DVD 18 discs out of the flimsy plastic slipcase. And let me tell you that after you hopefully get the disc holder in your hands without a struggle - it is a tight fit - (good luck if you have large hands) - you then flip it up revealing another cover (it lists the episode titles and their corresponding disc) that is also flipped open in the opposite direction revealing all 3 discs. It is amusing having the whole thing shaped as Herman's head - featuring both front and back - but I feel that anyone who watches the episodes with any regularity will want to put them in their own individual keepcases as I doubt it was designed to hold up under repeated use. After getting them out I REALLY do not want to insert the holder back into the slipcase. Once was enough. It is very unfortunate that Universal did not use the standard design like the rest of their releases appear to receive - I would have welcomed it.
Looking at the actual episodes the first three that I watched looked great but I have to admit to preferring the first season theme music a bit better. Just a personal observation. All these years since I last viewed the series as a kid the image of Herman walking through the front door of the mansion - while it was closed - has stayed with me. I had forgotten that this was used only in the second season. The menus are basically the same. One change from the first season is that each episode opens with the shows' storyline and then after a quick development leads into the theme music and credits.
Lastly, the extra features. I only watched the first of the four, which total three hours, entitled America's First Family Of Fright. Total running time was 45 minutes and I found it both entertaining and informative - all the surviving principal actors are interviewed. So there you have a quick look at this short lived series that is once more alive and well on dvd. Guess I'll just settle down and watch a few more of the 32 episodes. Grandpa!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Thanks, Brent. I had an inkling that the packaging, however neat it might look, might be troublesome for the long haul. Oh well. Looking forward to Tuesday for many, and I do mean MANY purchases, Herman's head included!:D

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Had a hard time opening this package just
because I am so used to keeping the shrinkwrap
on all my cardboard DVD cases.

I'm not overly thrilled with the packaging
here, but give credit to Universal for trying
to do something original.

I watch these while running on my treadmill so
I only started watching the first episode yesterday
which was a very poor way to start Season 2. Not
a great one at all...

...then again, most of my favorite episodes are
on this second season set including the one where
Herman becomes a Rock'n Roll singer and the magic
muffins that speed up his voice.

Also, my all-time favorite Herman line is in this
season as well...

"Run --- Run --- Run"

(I think he's reading See Dick Run)

As for the theme music, I prefer the more
rockabilia style of season 2.

So happy these are out on DVD.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Ron, that episode with the sped up voice was hilarious to watch. I have made it through 6 so far and also enjoyed the one where Herman has to get his drivers license. There is another that stars Frank Gorshin as a used car salesman that is also quite funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks