What's new

The Munsters: AFFOF - Anything new here?! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay, so I bought the long awaited Image 2-disc DVD
of The Munsters: America's First Family Of Fright.

Quickly looking this over I think I got duped!

Is there anything on this 2-disc DVD that isn't already
available on last year's The Munsters Season 2
TV set?

And if there isn't anything new, why spread things out
on two discs that (if I remember correctly) available on
one bonus DVD in that TV set?

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I was under the impression that the first disc contained old promos and cast appearances and such. The second disc contains the Biographies on Fred, Al, Yvonne and the show which are included on the last disc of Season 2 as well. Are the promos and all not on this AFFOF?

And where did you buy it? I thought it wasn't be released until 10/10, next Tuesday.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay...here is the situation....

Tucked inside the 2-disc DVD is a program guide.

It can be a bit deceiving. At first glance, it lists the contents
of the entire set which is the exact material that appeared on the
MUNSTERS SEASON 2 bonus DVD.

On closer look, it appears that the guide only applies to DVD #1.
There is no guide for DVD #2, or at least, there was not one
available in my DVD.

Upon popping DVD #2 in my player I saw additional material
available for the first time including a Buddy Ebsen special
CBS network promos, trailers for MUNSTER GO HOME, TV
spots and newsreels.

Sorry for the confusion....but allow me to blame it on the
enclosed program guide. :)

As to where I got this disc early? I would rather not rat out
a street-breaker.

JimmyT

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,
I've been on the fence about this one. Do you feel it's worth the purchase if you already have the biographies from the Season 2 set?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Really want to know?

No, this is not worth a purchase.

What added material included here is not worthy of the
purchase over The Munsters TV Series Season 2 DVD.

Most all the material on this 2-disc set is imported over from
that bonus DVD.

The new "exclusive" material is really a joke. The Buddy Ebsen
"special" for instance, is a mere 60 second promo for the Munsters
new season where Mr. Ebsen makes frightening faces at a Munsters
banner. There are two other "fond looks" at the Munsters from
that period that provide no new material other than playing familiar
scenes from the show's pilot episode with host commentary.

The newsreels are very short and mildly interesting with mere
seconds of footage of the cast at public appearances or parades.
Most, if not all the material, has been highlighted in The
Munsters: America's First Family Of Fright
documentary.

There's a Cheerios commercial that was also highlighted in
the above mentioned documentary, and some extended new
cast interviews that I am uncertain as to whether they were
included on the TV season 2 bonus DVD or not.

There are also (I believe) 2 trailers for Munster Go Home
that I think were also highlighted or included on that bonus DVD.

Fact of the matter is, outside of what was originally included
on the Season 2 bonus DVD, there is nothing new or exciting
that makes this 2-disc set worth a purchase. The problem is,
there is so little "home movie footage" of the Munsters available
that all the available footage has pretty much been included in
the America's First Family Of Fright documentary.

In my opinion, this 2-disc set is strictly for those who did not
buy the Season 2 TV set -or- need to have everything "Munster"
in their collection.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
From what you have said, Ron, sounds like it's going to be a disappointment..I was imagining much more to be included.

I think I'll still get it...hopefully I'll have a different perspective.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
John, there will be additional opinions here that may agree with
or challenge my opinion on this set.....so keep an eye out because
it may or may not change your mind.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I respect that, Ron. And God bless those street breakers. :)

As for this release, I am stumped now. I was all set to pick it up in a couple of hours, but since reading your views I think I'll wait to hear others' opinions and findings as well (and I hope some people will be good enough to come here and fill us in). I was under the impression that there was considerably more material. Hmmmm.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Well, after looking through three stores I finally found it at F.Y.E., which I hate that I actually spent money there but that's another story.

In my opinion, I believe the set is worth it. Yes, there are things that are included that were seen in the Biographies but I like having them without any overlapping commentary.

The additional cast interviews were not on the Season set releases and there were some great stories from Yvonne and Pat Priest that I remember now. It seemed like these interviews were just the edited out parts of the interviews used on the Biographies.

I really liked the Universal News reels and the promos, even if they were familiar shots from the show.

My only complaint is that, yes, if you have Season Two you all ready have the Biographies so it was cheap on Image's part to include them.

But overall I'm really pleased I purchased it!

I also found that bn.com has a listing of all the features:
Menu
Disc #1 -- The Munsters: America's First Family of Fright
Fred Gwynne: More Than a Munster
Yvonne DeCarlo: Gilded Lily
Al Lewis: Forever Grandpa

Disc #2 -- "My Fair Munster" - Presentation #1, Presentation #2

The Munsters Main Title Sequence (Unaired Version With Portuguese Subtitles)

Seven Wonderful Nights (CBS Special With Buddy Ebsen)

CBS Network Promos - CBS Network Promo #1, CBS Network Promo #2, CBS Network Promo #3, CBS Network Promo #4

"Wayne and Shuster Take an Affectionate Look at the Munsters" (Munsters Segment)

Marineland Carnival (CBS Special)

"Big G, Little O"

Munster, Go Home (Theatrical Trailer)

Munster, Go Home (TV Spots) - Munster Go Home TV Spot #1, Munster Go Home TV Spot #2, Munster Go Home TV Spot #3, Munster Go Home TV Spot #4

Syndication TV Spots - Syndication Spot #1, Syndication Spot #2, Syndication Spot #3, Syndication Spot #4, Syndication Spot #5

Universal Newsreel - New Studio Center, Santa's in Town, Movie Munsters

"It's What's Happening, Baby" (With Murray the "K")

Bonus Interviews
Al Lewis - Topics: Remembering the Munsters, Fred Gwynne in the Foam Suit

Yvonne De Carlo - Topics: Getting the Part of Lily Munster, Playing It Straight, Fred Gwynne and the Flu, Losing Her Wig, Teasing on the Set, Milton Berle and Marlon Brando

Butch Patrick - Topics: Getting Cast for "The Munsters", The Success of the Show, Fireworks on the Set, Al Lewis, Makeup, Yvonne De Carlo as Lily Munster, The Only Kid at Universal, Favorite Episodes, On the Set With Al Lewis and Fred Gwynne, A Strong Memory, Al Lewis and a Sense of Humor, The Munsters Strike a Chord, Working Closely With Fred Gwynne

Beverley Owen - Topics: Meeting Fred Gwynne, The Actors and the Contract, Camaraderie and Success, Marilyn Munster, Fred Gwynne's Makeup

Pat Priest - Topics: Meeting Yvonne De Carlo, Yvonne De Carlo's Custom Car, Family Values, One a a Kind, The Tears of Al Lewis, The Adorable Grandpa, Al Lewis As Grandpa, Color Vs. Black & White, Joking With Al Lewis, Getting Teased

Debbie Watson - Topics: The Munster Originality, School With Butch Patrick, Fred Gwynne in Person, The Car, The Makeup Chair, The Munster Movie, A Wonderful Life, Getting Recognized, On the Set, Fred Gwynne and Yvonne De Carlo

CIULLOCAMNY

Agent
Real Name
CHRIS
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and thought that I would like to put my 2 cents in. I have yet to crack open the cellophane and it seems very disappointing on the reviews. But as a Munsters fan, I will choose to keep it - at least for the promos. But if mind serves me correctly, when Universal was promoting this disc(s) a while back, it was mentioned that the first version of the pilot - MY FAIR MUNSTER was to be included. Some of the scenes were the same as the pilot that was aired. In fact some of those scenes were probably just lifted from the first version. But what's interesting about this early/first version is that Eddie's character is not in his usual make-up. In fact he doesn't have the widow's peak. He almost looks to be a normal kid.
I had seen this version many years ago here locally in New York when WPIX Channel 11 used to run these shows. And they aired the early version. That's how I know that this version still exists. Later on they would go on to air the "acceptable" version with Eddie in full make-up in all of the TV syndicated packages. So I am wondering - even though it's not mentioned - if this original early version of MY FAIR MUNSTER has been included. From all the threads it doesn't sound like it is. Very upset to Universal for not following through on thier promise.:angry:

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Greg, thanks for posting that link to the live Munster house! I have heard about it for a couple years now and saw something in regards to it on TV awhile ago. I really want to attend the Halloween party there.

Ciullocamny, I haven't watched the original pilot presentations all the way through but I'll try to do that tonight to see if the one you are talking about is on there.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Since I live here, I really ought to try to get out there to see what it's like.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
"See what's it like"???!! LOL You should be going to the Halloween party there! How perfect would that be!

Man, I'm jealous!

Joseph_G

Grip
Real Name
Joe
I agree that it's worth it to see all the promos and things used in the Biography's uncut and without any voiceovers. My favorite additions (that weren't mentioned when the set was going to come out two years ago) are the extended interviews used in the A&E Biography's, especially Beverley Owen and Debbie Watson, whom I've never seen appear on anything else. Yvonne De Carlo's interview was barely used in the Munsters TV-ography, so it's nice to see more of her too.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

I watched it and it DOES include that version with Eddie aka Butch Patrick sans widow's peak. It also has a little introduction by a voiceover announcer saying how we are going to be seeing a new show about a family of monsters who think they are normal. It ends with a placard with the CBS eye logo. It's awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks