What's new

The Mummy Returns Ultimate Edition??? (1 Viewer)

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have any info if this is in the works? I held off on the current version in anticipation of Universal releasing an ultimate edition around the time The Scorpion King hits theaters. But TSK is about a month away from release and still no word.

Chris

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
So far they aren't going to release an Ultimate Edition.

There are a couple of The Mummy Collection 2-packs that are coming out on April 9th with the Collector's Edition of the first two movies. One in widescreen and one in fullscreen. Note that these do not include the UE of The Mummy.

Looks like Universal decided not to piss off the millions..., and millions of people that picked up The Mummy Returns.

-Chad

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Well, if there's no UE, then Universal have really shot themselves in the foot. Due to their tactics on The Mummy, there'll be quite a few people who didn't buy the CE of the sequel and who will hold out (probably indefinitely) for a 2-disc set. I'm one of 'em.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I agree with Philip here. This is stupid-upid. Not that I care what version I get, looks like I'll finally pick up the 2-pack then. But this really surprises me, and it looks like really bad marketing from Universal to me.

First you piss off lots of people by releasing an improved version they didn't know about. Then you piss off a lot of people by NOT releasing an improved version when everyone expects it. DOH!

Mikko Rasinkangas

Stunt Coordinator
I think director Stephen Sommers has said that there will be no Ultimate Edition. He wanted to get it right the first time. He wasn't that pleased with Universal releasing a UE of the first one. If he had know, he would have gotten that one right the first time as well.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Due to their tactics on The Mummy, there'll be quite a few people who didn't buy the CE of the sequel and who will hold out (probably indefinitely) for a 2-disc set
That's a very good point. I own the Mummy Returns CE and won't purchase a re-release no matter what, but I have a couple of friends who liked the film and won't buy it on DVD until the "Ultimate Edition" comes out. By blindly following the advice of a bunch of greedy, out-of-touch bean counters, Universal has managed to create confusion in the marketplace with reference to their DVD products. It certainly seems possible that Universal's schizophrenic re-release policy is only serving to confuse customers and possibly "cheat" themselves out of sales.

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator
I think Universal really dropped the ball here. Didn't other regions get a 2-disc set? If they did, I think its stupid that all regions didn't get similar treatment. I'll probably wait a little longer before I pick up TMR, just to make sure. Thank for the info.

Chris

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
there'll be quite a few people who didn't buy the CE of the sequel and who will hold out (probably indefinitely) for a 2-disc set. I'm one of 'em.
I don't think that Universal is going to worry much that you, and the small number of others that are waiting for the UE and didn't pick this up. The Collector's Edition sold over 5 million copies. I'm pretty sure it moved into the top 5 of all-time sales. The couple thousand well-informed people who were "holding out" is a drop in the bucket.

Personally, I think they marketed this very well. 5 million copies for a horrible movie.

-Chad

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I think they marketed this very well. 5 million copies for a horrible movie.
Well said. I was tempted to pick this up for a couple of the better effects scenes and for Rachel Weisz. But those excellent aspects aside, this is one hell of a crappy movie. Dreadful script, and some of the shoodiest effects work in recent memory. It's also doubtful that a UE would add any genuine 'SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIAL' to this release: The CE is just a bunch of filler adverts and back-slapping.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
The Mummy Returns is a bad movie? The devil you say! But yes, I rented the P&S version from Blockbuster (I new I should have looked at the box to see if it was OAR, Doh!), What a waste of my money/time.
Anyway, I found an OAR copy of TMR CE, But am still holding-off on buying because as soon as I do, somebody will announce the 2-disc release of the Ultimate Edition. Because of this I also haven't given the studio's any of my DVD-buying money for Scary Movie, Scary Movie 2, or American Pie 2.
Now I'm back to waiting for my 2-disc THX-mastered, DTS encoded, Rob Bottin and Joe Dante commentary track boistered copy of The Howling.:D

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
But Garrett, Scary Movie and Scary Movie 2 are Buena Vista titles, not Universal. Anyway, I too was hoping for a Mummy Returns: UE. Oh well.

Ali B

Second Unit
The UK has a 2 disc set I think, which also got a 'Mummy Collection' type release with both Mummy UE and Mummy Returns UE (I guess it's called that) in a nice box.

Filipe Almeida Paz

Auditioning
The UK release of The Mummy Returns is a 2-disc
Collector's Edition which also contains a dts track.
Despite of being 6-minute shorter (because of the PAL
speedup...) (sorry, I had to say this...:D ), I think
that the special features are absolutely the same as the
ones present in the region 1 release. Although, I still
have to confirm this...
Actually, since it seems that an Ultimate Edition of TMR
is not going to be, at least, available very soon, I was
definitely thinking in buying the region 2 (UK) release...
:b

Filipe Almeida Paz

Auditioning
I just would like to add that the UK release has been
cut by the BBFC :angry:
This segment has been copied from BBFC's website:
When submitted to the BBFC the work had a running time of 124m 21s.
To obtain this category cuts of 0m 1s were required., some or all of these cuts were substitutions. The cuts were Cuts for category.
Company chose to cut sight of head-butt, dangerous imitable technique, under the Video Recordings Act 1984, to achieve a "12". A "15" was available to the distributor.
Although it is not much (just 1 sec!!!), maybe it is
more than enough for me... :angry: :angry: :angry:

YANG

Screenwriter
THE MUMMY RETURNS DTS edition DVD is already available in R4 and R2.

"Despite of being 6-minute shorter (because of the PAL

speedup...) (sorry, I had to say this... ), I think

that the special features are absolutely the same as the

ones present in the region 1 release. Although, I still

have to confirm this..."

The UK release is an edited version with the head butt scene removed.The only available full-length cut release of MUMMY RETURNS is from R4.

I am one of the mentioned collectors who prefer to wait for the ULTIMATE EDITION from R1.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Stewart & Ali

I also have the 4 disk Mummy boxset from UK R2

but this only states The Mummy is an Ultimate Edition whilst The Mummy Returns is only labelled as a Collectors Edition despite being 2 disk.

Therefore there is still scope for an Ultimate Edition as extras on Mummy Returns labelled as Collectors Edition worldwide appear to be identical and the only difference is a DTS track in R2 & R4

DanR

Supporting Actor
Well, considering Arnold Vosloo (AKA Imhotep) is saying that the producers have approached him about his availability to shoot "Mummy 3" in Summer 2003, you guys may be waiting a while for a Mummy Returns UE. :confused:
Regards,
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks