What's new

The Mummy Returns DTS or not !?! (1 Viewer)

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
Well it has been discussed here before but I was just wondering.
Now that several international studio's have announced this
movie to be with DTS (like Holland/Germany/UK/Australia) what about the Region 1 release ?!?
Will Universal do the same thing to The Mummy Returns like
they did with Nutty Professor 2 Uncut and Shadow of the vampire who when announced did not have a DTS track but when released they did ?
What do you all think about this ??
wink.gif

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
quote: Will Universal do the same thing to The Mummy Returns like
they did with Nutty Professor 2 Uncut and Shadow of the vampire who when announced did not have a DTS track but when released they did ?[/quote]
This also happened with The Grinch, or rather in that case, DTS was added to its spec at a later date. I have a feeling this is the case though, Universal's PR has not been in tip top condition lately, so I'm not surprised this is still an unknown issue.
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Steven Simon on August 25, 2001 at 06:51 AM]

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
My guess is they release an Ultimate Edition in 6 months...
------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
Well Universal has a rather strange way of releasing details of their dvd's these days.
Like you said Dan The Grinch press-release was updated a week or so later with DTS.
Now that The Mummy Returns seems to have DTS in every other
region on DVD I am very curious if Universal dares to release it without a DTS-track and release a Ultimate Edition several months later.
I am also very curious what effect this has on Jurassic Park 3 , American Pie 2 and Fast And The Furious.
Will these have DTS ???
Well they should !!!
frown.gif

Robert George

Screenwriter
Okay, so I'm going to step in it again....
I don't get it. People (well, some people) keep whining to get DTS on every disc. It is now common practice by all the majors to use the so-called half-rate DTS (768 kb/s). To that end, it has become accepted amongst the professionals and those hobbyists that do the research that 768 DTS is sonically inferior to 448 Dolby Digital, all artistic factors being equal (same master, same prep).
So, why?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
To that end, it has become accepted amongst the professionals and those hobbyists that do the research that 768 DTS is sonically inferior to 448 Dolby Digital, all artistic factors being equal (same master, same prep).
So, why?
Oh really??? Please point me to the "professionals" who say this. Thanks for the flame bait Obi :)
By the way, according to that statement I have yet to see that be the case as far as the artistic factors being equal as there is always something that has been changed. That is what you might say is a perfect world and we all know where those exist.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Please point me to the "professionals" who say this.
Unfortunately, very few of them in public. That is the problem with this issue. The "golden rule" in Hollywood is to not piss off someone you might have to work with later. So the DTS myth is allowed to continue for the most part.
Still, there are those with open minds and a grasp of technical principles. There have been enough direct comparisons, both in the industry soundstages and enthusiasts homes, to provide enough evidence to make an informed judgement.
DTS at 768 kb/s is inferior to Dolby Digital at 448 kb/s. Believe it or don't, it doesn't matter. With the widespread use of the 768 kb/s rate, DTS has been reduced to a marketing tool for the HT wannabes.
No flames, just my opinion.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, very few of them in public. That is the problem with this issue. The "golden rule" in Hollywood is to not piss off someone you might have to work with later. So the DTS myth is allowed to continue for the most part.
Still, there are those with open minds and a grasp of technical principles. There have been enough direct comparisons, both in the industry soundstages and enthusiasts homes, to provide enough evidence to make an informed judgement.
Sounds like the myth is in reverse :) Your opinion is just that.

David Judah

Screenwriter
You've got to be kidding, Obi. You refer to one test conducted by Dolby as the basis for your line of thinking? Or was it doubly confirmed by your friends at Warner Bros.? :)
There are many professionals and hobbyists on both sides of the issue as I would think you know, so you might want to leave those kind of generalizations out of your argument.
I also suggest you go back and read the white papers. There is nothing in them to suggest that half bit-rate DTS is inferior to DD @ 448kbps.
Each lossy scheme makes compromises to save space--it just depends on which compromises each person thinks are more critical. That would be a better basis for this type of discussion.
DJ

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I suggest we lock this thread. We know how these type threads go with this type of bait in the water. This won't solve anything.

DanR

Supporting Actor
Dan B, Wouldn't you think that Universal would have "updated" the specs by now if there is going to be DTS? We're only like 5-6 weeks away from release. I think there will be no DTS, but it's Universal . . . so expect a "consumer-will-be-in the dark", roller-coaster ride all the way until October 2nd. :)
Ok, this is getting pathetic. To those of you arguing Dolby vs. DTS yet again, we all know nobody is going to be convinced of anything. Even if someone claims to hear a difference, we know excuses will be thrown out there. We've all heard it all before. Bottom line, let everybody wish for what they want to wish for (buy what they want, and listen to what they want), is that such a crime? This has been going on for a few years now, and is becoming ridiculous.
Regards,
Dan

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
I have to admit that The Jackal DVD at full bit rate DTS sounds remarkable compared to many other DTS titles in my library at half rate.
But this isn't a wide spread phenomenon like most DTS die hards think it is. DTS by default isn't always "better". Its that attitude that kinda irks me.
I believe that the quality of the mix used is what mostly counts...not the bit rate.
But that's just my opinion. :)
------------------
LuvLBX

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
This thread is not intended to be a new discussion on the DTS VS DD debate.
In fact I realy get irritated when people start talking about DTS THIS AND DOLBY THAT, who cares !!
Let people deside for themselfs !!
You will always have people who will try and start up that
fire again.
In my opinion LET PEOPLE DECIDE WHAT THEY WANT AND DON'T
ATTACK THEM FOR THEIR CHOICES PLEASE, RESPECT IT.
I am a fan of DTS and I will always support it no matter what other people say.
So that's that and let's return to what this topic was about
, if Universal is still going to release The Mummy Returns
with DTS yes or no.

Don't pay any mind to "Obi"'s take on DD vs DTS. He has been biased against DTS since back in the day when he was a guest reviewer on Digitaleyes.net. If you look at his older DIGITALEYES.NET reviews, which are no longer available, he would often notice "no difference" between Dolby Digital and DTS releases, even in cases where the difference was obvious because different masters were used. Pretty much every reviewer, web and magazine, could hear these differences except Obi. His reviews were often humorous too, a lot of the time trumpeting the inferior video/audio quality release as the superior one, while all the other reviewers made the correct choice. (some examples are Silence of the Lambs Image (with its incorrect color balance) vs Silence of the Lambs Criterion and Dances With Wolves DD vs DTS (with the DTS version having a much crisper picture and a much better audio master, reguardless of compression differences)). It's clear where his bias is, what his agenda is, and how massive the grain of salt you should take with his opinion is. Another example of his blunders recently is his apparent cheering of the Panasonic RP91 as one of the best, if not the best, consumer progressive DVD player on the market. Unfortunately, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity strongly disagreed with him there, trashing the Panasonic RP91's deinterlacing performance compared to other Progressive Scan DVD players, even recommending players with the "Chroma Bug" over it due to its poor de-interlacing performance. Oh well. Anyway, the only "professionals" who think Dolby is superior to DTS is those that have been suckered in by Dolby's biased "tests". In addition, I find it funny that someone would think so highly of a codec which pales in comparison technologically to DTS. Dolby's max specs are 48khz, 640kbps (448 on standard DVD), 5.1 channels lossy compression. In addition Dolby is not truly discrete, combining channels at frequencies over 10khz @ 384kbps, and over 15khz at 448kbps. DTS, on the other hand, has the ability to do 24bit, 192khz 4096kbps, 8.1 channel lossless compression, while still maintaining backwards compatibility; this bodes well for DTS and HD-DVD if it ever takes off. On standard DVD however, due to space constraints the best DTS has achieved is 24bit/96khz 6.1 channels at 1509kbps lossy compression. DTS is also fully discrete at all bitrates unlike Dolby. However, at 754kbps it begins to simply rolloff frequencies at around 15khz, instead of combining channels and causing sound misdirection/channel bleeding like Dolby's codec does. And I don't know about you, but personally at those high frequencies I'd prefer not having the sound at all than having it bleed through the channels. In addition, DTS soundtracks are not compromised for Dolby Prologic downmixing, like many of the Dolby Digital releases. In the end, DTS is a clearly superior codec, and I think only a truly biased, deaf, or unwitting person would not realize this. :)
------------------
Dai miei incubi e nei miei sogni -
Un' Esistenza Rovinata...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks