What's new

'The Mummy Returns' - Biggest Week in DVD History! (1 Viewer)

/PRNewswire/
Breaking all existing records in home entertainment, the Universal Studios Home Video release of the blockbuster smash ``The Mummy Returns'' has registered the biggest first week in the history of DVD with consumers purchasing over two million units of the record-breaking initial shipments of 4.5 million DVDs.
Further illustrating the strength of ``The Mummy'' franchise, the combined DVD and VHS sales of ``The Mummy Returns'' have racked up more consumer sales in the first week than any other title since the release of ``Toy Story 2'' with the DVD besting the biggest DVD of all time: ``Gladiator.'' The Mummy Returns combined initial week VHS and DVD sales are over 70% greater than the 1999 release of the original ``Mummy.'' ``The Mummy Returns'' has emerged from its crypt as the #1 non-family VHS title of the year.
------------------
http://www.movierecords.com

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah? Pan & Scanned or Widescreen? and I certainly hope the latter.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
all I can say is...
WOW!
... I never imagined that 'Mummy Returns' would push those kind of numbers.
------------------
Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
Link Removed Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Any numbers on widescreen DVD vs. pan-and-scan (oops, "full screen") DVD? Those are the statistics I'm really interested in.

Thavat

Auditioning
I ordered The Mummy Returns region 4 from Australia. This is the only region that give you DTS soundtrack. I already rented the region 1 about a week ago. The DTS from Australia has much better sound. And the region 4 Mummy Returns come in 2 discs set with special features in disc 2. The price is incredible. Check www.ezydvd.com.au

Mathias Klemme

Stunt Coordinator
Yup, I also have the R4. Good they saved all space on Disc 1 for the movie. And, umm, The Mummy Returns is a non-family title?

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't think Mummy Returns was that big at the box office. Maybe its partly down to this being one of the first of the 'big' summer movies to come out, plus the increase in overall DVD userbase.
I'd like to see whether the DVD sales are a larger percentage of DVD owners than Gladiator.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Congrats to Universal!
No offense, but I hope SHREK breaks that record!
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Stefan A

Second Unit
Something tells me next week's Star wars dvd will break this record. The hype alone has made me want to get it - since that's the only thing that would make me buy this movie :). Of course, with all the date breaking with TPM, maybe it won't break any records.
------------------
Stefan Antwarg
My DVD Collection
The Regal Brass Quintet Not HT related

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I think we need to offset this information against the fact that DVD player ownership is increasing. Thus, in order to break a prior record, a title could claim a smaller percentage of the total potential market than a previous record holder and still come out on top.

tommy_esq

Stunt Coordinator
"I didn't think Mummy Returns was that big at the box office"
Ah, didn't it break some sort of record its opening weekend by grossing 75M? and then go on to almost 200M total?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I may have missed earlier examples, but MR was the first DVD title I've seen advertised at the cash register of my local supermarket.
It's not a good sign that all the copies I saw on the shelf were full screen.
------------------

Jodee

Screenwriter
Yes, but keep in mind those numbers were for DVDs SHIPPED.
When you put out a dual release (WS&P/S) you're bound to ship a lot more than for a single release.
I have also seen many stores with literally hundreds of copies of this disc sitting on their shelves.
I am sure many will end up getting returned to the distributor if the product doesn't sell through during the 4th quarter.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Actually, 4.5 million shipped. 2 million SOLD! That is a pretty huge number though. I agree that a year has passed since Gladiator last year. That's a Christmas of DVD players being given as gifts, plus quite a few birthdays. So, as ownership goes up, so will sales. However, it must be popular. Universal certainly hyped it enough.
Take care,
Chuck

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
...a year has passed since Gladiator last year. That's a Christmas of DVD players being given as gifts, plus quite a few birthdays.
If the CEA numbers at The Digital Bits are correct, there've been 1.7 million DVD players sold just in the last month. Suddenly a 2-million-selling DVD doesn't seem like quite such a stretch...
doug
------------------
"How can it be the same movie if they've changed my character from a
tightly-wound convenience-store clerk to a jittery Eskimo
firefighter?... uh huh... uh huh... uh huh. Well, that's actually a
pretty good explanation..."
--James Woods, on The Simpsons

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
[rant]
i wonder if the sales have anything to do with the fact that you cant even freaking rent a Widescreen version of the movie. So your basically better off just buying it. (also, Blockbuster has about 593489348929340349 copies of FullScreen version on their shelves to rent..but -0923094 copies of Widescreen to rent. Ohh but you can purchase the WideScreen version there!! WTF?!?!)
Picture it:
Me: "umm Hi, yeah I was wondering if you had any WideScreen versions of TMR to rent, alls I see is FullScreen"
Blockbuster worker: "umm no, sorry unfortunatly because we are big retards we dont let normal people rent WideScreen movies, but heh, you can buy it right here.."
Me: "no thanks!"
[/rant]
Sorry for the rant... :]
------------------
- Jason
My DVD Collection | My Home Theater
"what ya got here is two people dragging a third..."

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Here's my take on this subject I originally threw in the "movies" section by accident:
OK, so I'm probably the nth person to post this, and it's surely been discussed a thousand times already, but I'm from the After Hours Lounge and don't get out much. Somebody kill me now.
Anyway, yesterday, I picked up my copy of The Mummy Returns: Collector's Edition at Costco. Got around to watching it 5 minutes ago, and noticed a few problems. First, when I took the security garbage off the case, part of the lower one was stuck to the paper insert (the plastic sleeve wasn't covering it as it should) and it tore the printing off. Damn. Then, the disc was loose in there because the snap was broken. Damn damn.
So, I'm already in a sour mood, and I haven't even put the disc in the player. But wait, it gets better.
What is with these idiots putting previews and other advertisements at the beginning of my movie? Put it in the extras section. I'll watch it if I want to. I had to skip through all sorts of crap before I finally got to the movie.
Then, what do I see, but the following words on my screen. White words, on a black background. Dreaded, evil, horrid white words:

This film has been modified from it's original version.
It has been formatted to fit your TV.

What the?? My TV is 16:9. I wonder, whose TV was it formatted to fit, because it sure as hell wasn't formatted to fit mine. I ripped the disc out of the player as fast as I could before my eyeballs fell out of their sockets.
OK, so there is something to be said for the idiot who picked out a movie with the words "full frame" on the case, but how the hell do they get off calling this a collector's edition? Now, I'm taking the thing back to Costco tomorrow, and I'm hoping that they have the full version there so I can trade, but it boggles my mind that any hacked disc can say "Collector's Edition" on it.
There should be a law.
EDIT: I went to Costco today and returned the disc. The gal at the counter said, "Let me guess, you wanted widescreen?" She told me they have had a fairly large number of returns on this disc, and they do not carry the widescreen version. I went to Best Buy and they only had 5 copies of the widescreen, but about a thousand of the 4:3. I had to dig through boatloads to find my 16:9 version... Then, they wanted $22.99, even though they were selling it last week for $17.99. I made them pricematch Costco @ $17.99...
Now, maybe tonight I can sit down and enjoy this movie...
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks