What's new

The Mummy (2017) (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Reportedly, the embargo on reviews gets lifted tonight. Please link any reviews you come across.

Mark

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The NBC Experience Store at 30 Rockefeller Plaza in New York (which shares a parent company with Universal), is hosting a Mummy VR experience through mid-June. It's free, and you get to see some props from the movie, and then watch a VR movie with a headset and in a seating pod where Tom Cruise narrates behind the scenes footage of them filming the plane crash scene from the trailer in the "vomit comet". If you're in the neighborhood, it's worth a look. After the "ride", you get a coupon for a free Mummy poster, and can also play another VR game that's a shooting/adventure game (I didn't have time to try that one).

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Well, the initial reviews aren't promising. However, Chris Stuckmann gave it a "C" and that's good enough for me to want to catch a cheap Tuesday matinee while my wife is playing Rummikub with her girlfriends. It's a popcorn flick, after all. I'll check my brain at the door and go in expecting a "B-movie" experience.

Mark

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
So far the reviews are about what I expected based on the film's marketing. I'll probably wait until it comes out on 4K UHD to see it.

Last edited:

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Even with all the hard sell trailer blitzes and star power, I still can't muster an ounce of interest for this CGI fest, even though it probably will be one of summers top 5 shows.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think it's extremely unlikely to be in the Top 5 for the summer. To do so, it would have to beat the following films which are on their way to making a billion dollars worldwide:
-Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2
-Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
-Wonder Woman

As well as the following upcoming titles:
-Cars 3
-Despicable Me 3
-Spider-Man: Homecoming
-Transformers: The Last Knight

Though I don't think either of these next films will win the summer box office, depending on momentum and reviews, they could beat The Mummy:
-War For The Planet Of The Apes
-Dunkirk

If we're counting these titles as summer movies, it's unlikely The Mummy beats them either:
-Beauty And The Beast (2017)
-The Fate Of The Furious

I just don't see a pathway to The Mummy being a top five title this summer. I think it will have a mediocre domestic opening, balanced out by a disproportionately large international audience, as has been the pattern with Tom Cruise movies for several years.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That said, I'm probably gonna see it...watching all the old B&W ones now and having fun with it. I know one has nothing to do with the other but I have hope that it could be a fun if slightly bland two hours.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Wow...the reviews are BRUTAL. Kind of thought it might not be great but the reviews are stunningly bad.

I'll probably go see anyway. :)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I have a feeling that the same fate will befall any further "Universal Monster" movies down the road. We'll see come Monday if the general public is excited by these kind of "old school" monsters or they fall with a big thud. I still sorta think this one may surprise folks and do fairly well, but will it be well enough to warrant digging up more old school monsters.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have a feeling that the same fate will befall any further "Universal Monster" movies down the road. We'll see come Monday if the general public is excited by these kind of "old school" monsters or they fall with a big thud. I still sorta think this one may surprise folks and do fairly well, but will it be well enough to warrant digging up more old school monsters.
Wondering what you mean by "same fate"? Do you mean they'll be bad movies or just do poorly box office-wise? Besides how can you talk about the movie's fate when only critics have seen it. They frequently come down on the big movies.

Besides, you can have a stinker and the next movie be great. You just never know. If the people making movies had the "magic" of making a good movie down pat, every movie would be good.

I'll pay attention to the critics and to the public.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Yes same fate as in critic dog piling. It's really a tough call if this generation of moviegoers really care about the balance of this whole old school monster franchise. Wolf Man? Invisible Man? Frankenstein, Bride of...? Many of those in some form or fashion have been remade or re-imagined over many years and most if not all failed badly.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If they want to CG Peter Cushing, they should do it for one of these movies. It's the only appropriate use where it could work.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
These Dark Universe films are reboots/reimaginings/remakes of Universal's classic monster properties, not Hammer's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks