What's new

The Mummy (2017) (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Not like you can make a summer movie without $100 million of CG today but I do long for the days of when the Mummy just slowly shambled around with a bad leg and strangled people.
That's what blu rays and dvd's are for. Sadly, if the original (with Boris) were to be released today, I think it would bomb.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That's what blu rays and dvd's are for. Sadly, if the original (with Boris) were to be released today, I think it would bomb.
I'm semi-embarrassed to admit that I like the Chaney sequels more than the Karloff original. No doubt the original is a better movie but I just love the B movie-style of the sequels.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm semi-embarrassed to admit that I like the Chaney sequels more than the Karloff original. No doubt the original is a better movie but I just love the B movie-style of the sequels.
I like the cheesy sequels too, but I have no shame. :)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There have been plenty of R-rated, more hardcore horror versions of these characters in recent decades (the Brendan Frasier action-adventure comedy Mummy films aside). Time to give the mainstream studio series populist versions of these characters another go, I say. As such, I expect action-adventure with the appropriate supernatural moodiness, a dash of mystery, and hopefully monster spectacle combined with tragic characterizations. That's the mainstream studio film formula of our day, just as the classic 30s films gothic horror style and monster effects driven spectacle was for its day.

I agree with this. I would like to see popular, accessible versions of these characters on the screen.

That said, I really liked the first two Brendan Fraser Mummy movies. Great fun.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
When I saw Tom Cruise aboard the plane, I thought we were in for another Mission Impossible film. :) So the comments about Ethan Hunt were kind of on the mark for me. Checking the credits over at IMDB, Alex Kurtzman is the director. He has a ton of producer and writing credits on a variety of genre projects, but I'm not sure how well that will translate to directing this feature. Could be fun, but my expectations are pretty low right now.

- Walter.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It's true that Tom Cruise looks the same in all of his recent movies. If they show a shot of him without saying the name of the movie, it could be any movie. He is always Tom Cruise on the screen and not the character.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I didn't get the crack someone made about being able to watch Tom Cruise hang on the outside of a plane and now being able to watch him hang on the inside of a plane. Then I watched the trailer and saw how observant and funny that crack was.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
It's true that Tom Cruise looks the same in all of his recent movies. If they show a shot of him without saying the name of the movie, it could be any movie. He is always Tom Cruise on the screen and not the character.

Also the shot of him running full sprint towards the camera away from destruction behind him has been used in every one of his films it seems.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Cruise is not the actor you hire to put behind a lot of makeup, costumes or varied hairstyles. Off the top of my head I can think of only a few of his films where he really changed his look significantly: Born on the Fourth of July, Interview with a Vampire, Valkyrie.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Cruise plays a variation of Cruise in almost all of his roles and, as Brandon pointed out, that's what pulls people into the theater and that's why he gets hired for the big bucks. He's not going to believably pull off these action films for much longer though. I suspect that as he gets older he'll try to branch out more. I hope so, because I find his current modus operandi extremely boring.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
He hasn't really bothered with a straight up drama since Lion for Lambs bombed in 2007. But he has done really good work in suspense thrillers (Valkyrie), action-adventures (Mission: Impossible 4 & 5, the first Jack Reacher), sci-fi (Oblivion, Edge of Tomorrow) since.

He's back in a suspense thriller at the end of 2017 in the Doug Liman directed American Made, wherein he plays 80s pilot-turned-CIA-recruit-turned-drug-runner cocaine cowboy Barry Seal.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I remember Tom Cruise in Born on The Fourth of July.

That was something.

I wish he would lose his 'action star' roles and return to dramatic features.

Also great in Magnolia.
I've enjoyed most of the Mission: Impossible movies but those two movies are my favorite of his. He gets a lot of static for Eyes Wide Shut but I thought he played that role in a strange 'sleepwalking' kind of way that I think was deliberate and smart.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Cruise is not the actor you hire to put behind a lot of makeup, costumes or varied hairstyles. Off the top of my head I can think of only a few of his films where he really changed his look significantly: Born on the Fourth of July, Interview with a Vampire, Valkyrie.

724387c9a28b231216de5d4b478b2cbc.jpg

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
He could always do a sequel to Legend. ^_^ Actually, I think he's great in all his movies. He just has that "presence" on the screen similar to John Wayne. Just IMHO. :)

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Oh my God... the accidentally-released trailer (minus music, plus Tom Cruise screaming) had me belly-laughing like a toddler.

Good one, Universal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks