What's new

The Mummy (1932) 75th - Want a DVD? (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Would I buy the Mummy for the 3rd time on DVD? I doubt it.

Pretty much in agreement with most of the others here. I'd rather have Uni release films that have never been on DVD than a triple dip with very miniscule improvement ala the 75th Ann Drac and Frank discs.

Here's another big vote for Island of Lost Souls.

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis

As long as most of the recent Broadway Musicals are re-tread stories (not to mention the ridiculously dramatic style of songwriting these days), wouldn't it be appropriate to make a musical of "Island Of Lost Souls"? They could advertise it as the "first S/M Musical"! (Just imagine the songs they could write......"I don't want to be a new species....")

Just a thought......

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Since the hero falls in love with a Panther Woman, they could call it "Kiss Me, Cat."

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Mummy is a great movie, but Universal should concentrate on making it look great on HD-DVD.

I'd like to see HD-DVD editions of the six Legacy sets instead of more standard DVD editions of the films.

MichaelEl

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have a problem with double - or even triple - dipping, but I'm not going to pay $20+ for THE MUMMY or DRACULA alone when the same money last year got me the entire MUMMY or DRACULA series.

Last November, Paramount came out with a major upgrade of WAR OF THE WORLDS priced at $9.99 (with commentary from surviving cast members, I might add). Had Universal priced the 75th anniversary editions of DRACULA and FRANKENSTEIN (sans documentary perhaps) along the same lines, no doubt sales would have been much better.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This, from Scott Essman, has been posted on the CHFB:

Friends:

The new 1932 MUMMY DVD is done and due in summer! The documentary is called THE LIFE AND ART OF JACK PIERCE but may be changed. The director originally wanted FATHER OF FRANKENSTEIN, which was also the name of the book which inspired the movie GODS AND MONSTERS.

In the commentary session were film historian/collector Bob Burns, ardent Mummy student Steve Haberman, and special makeup effects sculptor/artist and original Mummy makeup re-creator Brent Armstrong. It was a full 75 (approx) minutes of talking about the film and the U Monsters in general. Rick Baker provided additional commentary but was not on site at the time of the others.

The doc features interviews with special makeup effects artists Baker, plus Howard Berger, Michele Burke, Tom Burman, Bill Corso, Nick Dudman, Kevin Haney, Greg Nicotero, Tom Savini and others. It is a lot of fun and a spirited tribute to Pierce in the 25 allotted minutes. Lots of cool photos and some footage abound. I hope that you will all be pleased.

In absolute truth, I feel VERY lucky to have been asked to consult on this DVD and to have some of my words used in this project. I have been a total monster squid since the early 1970s when I was a schoolchild (I'm 41 now), and I feel extremely fortunate to have turned my passion into legitimate works that people can enjoy. Next, I will throw all my weight into getting Pierce his Hollywood star!

Now that it's done, onto MUMMY III publicity - but please don't damn this movie as it is the WHOLE reason that a new Mummy 1932 DVD is being released!!!

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I guess I am the kind of customer Universal loves. I love these movies and buy every edition hoping for an upgrade or some other new special feature.

Actually, I wish Universal would do some further restoration work on the films and release them in BluRay.

There are four films I feel were best presented in their original laser release:

DRACULA - It was framed correctly, the sound was complete and the contrast and look of the picture was pretty good.

FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN - As I remember, the laser attempted to fix that bad splice and pop in the main title.

THE INVISIBLE MAN - the laser had the original radio source music.

HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN - for some reason, has a low hum running through the entire film in every DVD version. Again, I don't remember this on the laser.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
It's good to hear that Universal decided to go ahead with this. The Mummy is my all-time favorite Universal horrors. I just hope that the PQ is improved this time. The previous DVD looked pretty rough.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Sold!
I'll buy it.

Now, where's ISLAND OF THE LOST SOULS?
I want to buy that, too.

JackKay

Second Unit
I wonder if a hi-def version in on the horizon?

John Hudson, thanks for the post and search for this old thread.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
The next time I buy The Mummy for the umpteenth time it won't be on DVD.

Offer it on Blu-ray and it'll be............. SOLD!

I'd settle for a DVD of the long overdue Island of Lost Souls though.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Yes I do but I want it in blu ray, along with Drac, Frankenstein, Bride I like the idea of the legacy sets, and since they are finally jumping on the Blu, camp what makes you think that they are not going to go to their bred and butter. But it has to be reasonable, for people to be willing to spend the money on an upgrade. I can get a 5 disc set of Blade Runner for $27 new on Amazon, with the run times they could easily make them two to 3 disc sets, and still include supplementary extras that were in all the previous releases, along with new extra features. And don’t skimp out make the whole set 1080p, price it at under $24 SRP and see if you don’t have one of the biggest selling sets of the year if done correctly.

Any one hear any more on the “found Dracula footage” I would hope that when there are release in hi def that they are as restored as completely as possible, to the same standard that WB did with King Kong.

What I would also like is for universal to release volume 3 of is sci-fi collection
And volume 2 of is horror collection, both were outstanding, they included some of the Paramount’s in the last one, (Dr Cyclops) so there is hope for Island of Lost Souls

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Universal doesnt know how to properly market their franchise films.

They should do a major promotion like the Ford At Fox series with ALL of their classic monster movies, sequels, etc. with the latest restorations, all avail. supplements, original promo art, etc. They could release them in sets and than one major Universal Horror box with EVERYTHING in it. They could do a collectable l.e. run and than make everything else available as singles and in franchise sets with definitive transfers, packaging, etc. and call it a day.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

agreed, now that fact that Image was distrubiting some of the older Universals, if this was done i would hope that they would take the time to include the Channey silents, POTO , and Hunchback in that set as well,

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Confirmation on the new edition of the 1932 'The Mummy' at DVD Times here; nice art:

The Mummy (1932) (Special Edition)

Disc 1: Main Feature
1.33:1 Full Frame
English DD2.0 Mono
English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles
Mummy Dearest: A Horror Tradition Unearthed
Feature Commentary by Film Historian Paul M. Jenson
Feature Commentary by Rick Baker, Scott Essman, Steve Haberman, Bob Burns, and Brent Armstrong
Posters & Stills
Trailer Gallery
Disc 2: Extra Features
He Who Made Monsters: Life and Legacy of Jack Pierce
Unraveling the Legacy of The Mummy
Universal Horror Documentary

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Looks good to me.
My favorite Karloff performance.
Consider it bought.

Wanted: more SE from Universal's classic horror catalog.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks