What's new

The Movies Begin DVD Boxset? (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I found this information on a routine visit to Kino's website.
Kino's treasury of early cinema is now available in DVD format. The Movies Begin recreates the dawn of the movies with archival 35mm prints. Produced by Film Preservation Associates and the British Film Institute, the 133 complete motion pictures are spread over five individual volumes.
I'm surprised that I haven't heard anything before now, since this set is being released next Tuesday. Has anyone seen any advance reviews? I'm very interested in buying this set and Kino's quality is usually pretty good.
http://www.kino.com/video/dvd_titles/moviesbegin.html

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I just got my review copy last night. Based on the first disc, it looks great. Plenty of interesting material. A little light on explanatory background stuff, but definitely worth owning for those interested in the history of cinema. The Image discs, Landmarks of Early Film vols 1 & 2 duplicate discs 1 and 4 and most of 5 of this set, so if you already have those it may or may not be worth it to you to replace them.
My full review should be up on http://www.digitallyobsessed.com Monday or Tuesday.

StevenA

Second Unit
I also stumbled upon this on Kino's site a few days ago and was very excited! This set has virtually all of the definitive early cinema landmarks, including the most famous Lumieres, Edisons, Melies etc. And with the BFI involvement on the restorations, I would think it's going to be very nice indeed.

Mine has shipped already from DDD, at $58, free shipping!!!

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
I've been drooling over this set for the past few weeks. Haven't had any luck talking my wife into us buying it, though. Hopefully that $58 DDD price stays a little longer. I too would love to read a review. I'm just now really getting into silent film, and didn't know about the Image "Landmarks" DVDs. I'd be interested to read a more detailed comparison.

JiM T

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
Good news and bad news - the good first. I found a review of the set. You can read it here: http://www.silentera.com/DVD/moviesBeginDVD.html
The bad news is that Deep Discount DVD upped their price from $58 to $66+. :frowning: And on the exact day that I was going to finally buy it. Oh well, it's only a few bucks, but annoying to have been drooling over it at the lower price for so long, but unable to know for sure if I could afford it until now.
Anyhow, the review looks pretty good, although they do have a few issues with it. I'm looking forward to it...
JiM T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks