What's new

The Movie "Moment" (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The movie moment...you know what I mean (or you don't...if not, don't worry and move on). The one little moment on screen that actually reaches you. It happens in good movies, bad movies, old movies, and usually when you least expect it. Sometimes, it's a throwaway scene. Sometimes, it's in one craptacular (Bart/TM) movie.
Did you ever buy a movie for one moment in it? Even if you didn't like the film. If so, please share:) Or share your favorite moment (moment defined as short...a look, one sentence, one cut [for you horror fans]).
This came up when I saw V.Sky. It had a moment...the short scene of Cameron Diaz (who was incredible in it) dancing with the waiter, whispering to him, looking happy. It was a great shot.
Another example is the pullback at the end of From Dusk 'Til Dawn, a movie I did not really care for. As it ends, you see the back of the bar, which pulls out to an ancient temple with a graveyard of vehicles behind it. It was a great shot...in an average movie.
Examples done. Please share...
Take care,
Chuck

Matthew_S

Second Unit
I love the end of Born on the Fourth of July. When Cruise talks to the reporter and wheels out into the arena, giving the peace sign. After more than 2 hours of punishing heartbreak, it's a great ending. Always gets me.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
-Eddie Murphy giving the O.K sign in "Beverly Hills Cop"

-"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads!" in "Back To The Future"

-Julie Brown tossing her hair near the end of the "Brand New Girl" number in "Earth Girls Are Easy" (best savored in slow-mo. It's right after the lyrics "If you want to be a femme fatale/You can't rest on your L'oreals")

Sincerely,

John "If Earth girls are so easy, then how come I don't have a girlfriend?" Kilduff

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
When Emmy Beart doffs her bathrobe in La Belle Noiseuse...

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
One of my favorite movie moments is the shock ending to the original 'Planet of the Apes', which I had first seen in a cinema reissue (with Beneath) in the 1970's, a fantastic memorable ending.
I also love the bit in 'Star Wars A New Hope' where Luke is staring at the twin suns rising, John Williams soaring music in the background.
Sharon Stone uncrossing her legs in 'Basic Instinct' was also a great movie 'moment' (you so bad Steve).:)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
William Wallace yelling 'freedom' at the end of Braveheart always hits me.

Others:

The end of Philidelphia, specifically in the hospital room.

Vader on the funeral pyre.

Saving Private Ryan-In the final battle the American and the German wrestle with a bayonet in the upstairs room. As the German slowly kills the American he gently says shhhhhhh. That's brutal man.

Wow, I have this whole tragedy thing going...

Ike

Screenwriter
In 8 1/2, in the first non-dream sequence of Guido. When he walks into the bathroom, and turns the lamp on. Then, it cuts to a side angle, and we see generators power up and light the set. I don't know why this is such a fantastic scene, but as soon as I saw this, I was hooked.

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Almost Famous: ... I'm going to live in Morocco for one year. ... Do you wanna Come? Yes, yeah. Are you sure? Ask me again.

Aaron

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
Another great scene from Almost Famous, at least to me, was the "Tiny Dancer Bus Scene".

My personal favorite is the very last scene from Dances With Wolves when Wind in his Hair is yelling out to Dances With Wolves from atop the cliff.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Kevin,
Thanks for the DWW reminder. One of the few scenes to give me goosebumps. I love it.
See also (don't laugh) Disney's Hunchback, when Quasimodo rescues Esmerelda (sp) and holds her above his head on ND, screaming "Sanctuary". Another favorite of mine.
Take care,
Chuck:D

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Edward Scissorhands
When Winona Ryder (Kim) looks outside and notices the ice-flakes falling like snow from Johnny Depps (Edward) Ice-Angel and she goes outside and dances in it. Completed with Danny Elfmans score.
Peace Out~:D

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
The scene in Lawrence of Arabia as Lawrence reaches the canal and the person on the other side yells "Who are you? Who are you?!" The look on Peter O' Tooles face tells you that this question is at the heart of this great movie!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
- In "The Producers," when Leo finally gets some self esteem and the fountain behind him shoots up in the air along with his line.

- In Monty Python and the Holy Grail, when Launcelot attacks the party guests. The "Errol Flynn" music playing....

- It Happened One Night: The famous hitch-hiking scene.

- In "Help!" when Ringo and a cult member do an Abbott and Costello take.

- Around the World in Eighty Days: Fogg walks into the Reform Club at the end and the gentlemen who wagered against him just say "Hello, Fogg." Very subtle.

- In Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs...when the Queen/Hag stares at the Crow for a moment and jokingly offers the poisoned apple to it. Also, the scene where she overshadows Snow White and there's almost a freeze-frame of her staring. Great stuff!

- Young Frankenstein: "He wants to do it by himself!" Obviously, the monster is having some trouble!

-

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
- The first appearance of the monolith and the "starchild" sequence in 2001: A Space Odyssey.
- The cropduster sequence in North by Northwest.
- Selma singing "The Next to Last Song" with a rather abrupt ending in Dancer in the Dark.
- Dumbo learning to fly.
I could go on for pages, but I don't feel like it right now. :)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
One more:

-Princess Vespa (Daphne Zuniga), upon having her hair shot at, making like Rambo and shooting at enemy soldiers in "Spaceballs".

Sincerely,

John "Not bad for a girl? That was pretty good for Rambo" Kilduff

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
I'm resurrecting this thread, because I thought it was a good thread. Anyhowie....

Jerry Maguire: On the airplane (towards the beginning of the movie) as Renee Zellweger's character is looking into first class listening to Jerry Maguire talk about his engagement, and she slowly gets out of the seat and leans a bit forward to hear more.

Aaron

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
A few "moments" I really love:
2001 A Space Odyssey - The Starchild at the end
Apocalypse Now - The raid on the villiage to Ride of the Valkyries
Seven Samurai - The Raising the The Farm flag
Memento - Lennys I cant feel time speach
Empire Strikes Back - "Perhaps you think youre being treated unfairly?"
Dr Strangelove - All the WarRoom scenes
Excalibur - Merlins "you brought me back..."
People vs Larry Flynt - The courtroom scenes
Fight Club - Tylers "Whole generation pumping gas..."
Blde Runner - Roy Batty appears on the roof and Deckerd jumps
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest - Chief suffocates Murphy, lifts the sink and throws it through the window
Evil Dead2 - The laughing deer
Batman Returns - When Penguin appears from the water and is stalking Batman in the backround(LOVE Elfmans score )
As for movies I could care less about but bought on DVD because of a certain scene, The Hot Spot and Embrace of the Vampire come to mind. Guess why :D

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Red Planet - Right near the end. Carrie jumps in a suit with thrusters on the back and launches herself towards Val (unconcious through lack of oxy). The shot composition and beautiful score absolutely make the scene. It's better than any other portion of the movie, and put me over the edge to acquire it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks