What's new

The Movie Marathon Thread (1 Viewer)

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
If you are anything like me, you might find yourself right in the middle of a "theme" when viewing movies. I'll get in a horror mood, and watch 4 or 5. Sometimes, I just want to sit back and watch some Verhoeven madness (cause 1 is never enough). Anyway, I found myself (although not through a conscious effort...at least not totally) in that same situation these last two days. I was right in the middle of an Edward Norton marathon. Thanks to the Norton thread discussing whether he has or has not lived up to his promise, I added some of his films to the old queue. And as luck would have it, they all came at once (well 2 of them). And I thought it might be nice to have somewhere to come and discuss these type situations.

So if you want, join along. For the purposes of this thread, 2 movies shall be the minimum requirement for a "Marathon." Because let's face it, if you run into two crappy movies in a row, you might just get that taste washed out of your mouth rather quickly (it happens to me). All I ask is that your movies contain a similar theme. It could be actors, directors, genre, sequels, or anything that makes sense to you. In fact, the quirkier the connection, the more fun.

And feel free to stop in and update us mid-marathon if you like. Especially if you take on a daunting challenge.

I'm going to start with a Karate Kid marathon myself. And all just because that one damn song that plays in the awesome "fight montage" got stuck in my head about two weeks ago and will not leave (You're the best around...no one's ever gonna keep you down...You're the best.....if this now gets stuck in your head, my apologies....and hahahaha). I hope to get all 4 (yep...even the Macchio-less installment) between today and tomorrow.

Other upcoming marathons I hope to undertake:
-The entire Friday the 13th series this one may take me some time...while Jason has a special place in my heart....I can really only take him in small doses
-Sam Raimi with Spiderman 3 coming out, and Darkman playing on demand, I feel the need

There are others too, but these are just on the horizon.

For what it's worth, I viewed The Illusionist (a good movie....but I almost feel the need to call it fluff), Fight Club (nothing I can say that hasn't already been said before), and Down in the Valley (the most interesting of the two "new discoveries" and well worth checking out).

I'd add more, but the Kid is calling.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
The Karate Kid (1984)
John G. Avildsen

Only the 'Old One' could teach him the secrets of the masters

First thing first. The Karate Kid kicks ass. I could sit here and drop all sorts of random explanations (I was picked on and this movie taps on my fantasies, good kid is rewarded, cinderella, Jersey Power!, etc.) but does it really matter?

For those in the unknown, Daniel is the new kid in town and makes the bad mistake of hitting on the ex-girlfriend of the area karate champ. Many ass-kickings and mayhem ensue. Daniel befriends the local handyman (who happens to be a wise karate master) who teaches Daniel the fine art of defense.

As I watched all four films, I noticed some themes.

1.) Someone always has to take a beating.
2.) Miyagi always gets to kick some ass.
3.) Daniel is a player.
4.) The bad guys are bad.
5.) While the idea that fighting is bad is portrayed (repeatedly), I really want to kick someone now.

I'm not going to pick on this one too much. It was a great movie to me growing up, and I still really enjoyed it.

Bad Guys
The bad guys in this film are the best in any film. They gang up on Daniel, ride motorcycles, smoke pot, and ominous music plays whenever they come around. I still find the Dutch character more scary than Johnny.

Quotes
"I cannot believe this."
"What?"
"What you just got me into in there. You said you were going to make things better for me."
"I did."
"How?"
"Just save you two months of beatings."

Trivia
-Chuck Norris was originally targeted to play the role of John Reese
-Pat Morita was initially turned down for the role of Miyagi

The Karate Kid II (1986)
John G. Avildsen

The Story Continues

This time around, Daniel heads off to Okinawa with Miyagi to be with his dying father. Well that's not enough of a compelling story, so we throw in a 45 year old rivalry, more bad guys, love for Miyagi and Daniel, and a fight to the death.

We find out that Ali has dumped Daniel on prom night (quite a nasty thing to do, but he was wearing a powder blue tuxedo after all) and that frees him up to get down with Kumiko, once again showing his player moves.

Two things really bug the shit out of me in this film:
1.) During the big storm (where Sato learns the ills of his ways) there is a scene where Sato instructs his student to help Daniel aid a little girl stuck in the storm. Chozen (what kind of crap name is that) refuses, and all the people around him give him dirty looks. Some of those people are healthy, adult males who could be out there helping too. Who the Hell are they to give him dirty looks.
2.) At the grand finale, Chozen makes Daniel throw the bridge into the pond so no one could get to them, thus allowing for a fight to the death. The water surrounding them is about two feet deep, and my weiner dog wouldn't be afraid to jump in it. Again, these people are killing me.

All in all, the movie's a fluffy piece of fun. In fact, compared to the next installments, it's a damn masterpiece.

Bad Guys
Chozen is indeed a badass, but doesn't come close to laying down the beatings on Daniel like the Cobra Kai in the first film. I give him credit for being evil enough to hit a girl, and fight to the death, though. His minions are most forgettable, and I don't think they even had names.

Quotes
"Do you think you could break a log like that?"
"Don't know, never been attacked by tree."

Trivia
-the opening scenes were actually filmed for the first film
-my best friend and I waited in front of the theater for 2 hours before the film began on opening night....just to get great seats

The Karate Kid III (1989)
John G. Avildsen

First it was teacher to student. Then it was father to son. Now, it's man to man.

Remember ol Krese from the first film (and getting his knuckles all covered in boo-boos in the second) well I guess all his students quit. He can't pay his bills, and he's pretty much down on life. Good thing he has a super-rich pal who likes to get revenge.

Terry (the rich pal) concocts a lame ass plan to give Daniel and Miyagi payback for his friend. It involves faking Krese's death, hiring the "bad boy" of karate tournaments, and tricking Daniel into taking "bad" lessons from Terry himself. Along the way, Daniel gets his groove on with the neighboring pottery girl, buys Miyagi some property to open a bonsai tree store, falls out of love with Miyagi, falls back into love with Miyagi, and engages in a shitty side story about his soul and a bonsai tree.

This movie stinks on just about every level. Funny thing is, Daniel overcomes all the aforementioned plotting with just a single strike. This film is easily the worst of them all.

Bad Guys
The bad guys do hit a girl, but that's about it. They're reduced to having cross a railroad junction with the guard rails down to show off just how evil they are. Oh, and they don't bow when prompted by tournament officials.

Quotes
"But then, when he steps out into the tournament ring, he's going to find out what pain's all about.....in front of a thousand people. Anything else you want me to do to him?"
"Yeah. Make his knuckles bleed."

Trivia
-By this point in the evening, I have now gone through 3 cans of yummy Dr. Pepper, a tasty ham and cheese Hot Pocket, and an apple.

The Next Karate Kid (1994)
Christopher Cain

Who says the good guy has to be a guy?

You know Hilary Swank? Oscar winning actress from Boys Don't Cry and Million Dollar Baby. This is the skeleton in her closet. Daniel is absent and Julie wins over Miyagi's heart now. Miyagi takes Julie under his wing and teachers her karate and even goes one better than he ever did with Daniel by taking her to live with monks. And the old guy, teenage girl story gets the grand treatment with Miyagi dealing with half-naked girls, overflowing cabinets of make-up, dangling pantyhose, etc.

Yeah it's crap, but at least I had more fun with this than part 3. But, I couldn't help but wonder what happened to Daniel. The film never says, so here are some of my guesses:
-Just like Bruce Lee, he was ready for the "next level" of training, so he faked his death and is now on a secluded island learning the badass stuff the world just isn't ready for
-He is working covertly for the government doing all sorts of spy stuff
-He entered the adult world of karate tournaments and got his ass kicked by Chuck Norris and then moved to Mexico where he enjoys tacos everyday
-He was eaten by the Marvel Zombies

This was actually campy fun. The ridiculous ending ruins what could have been a cult fave. I suggest a drinking game where you have to drink everytime you see Julie's bare midriff.

Bad Guys
They bungee jump. They stay in school til the wee hours of the night. They want to date Julie. Oh, they also call animal control on a bird caged on top of the school......those bastards!

Quotes
"I wish I had courage like you."
"I wish I had chocolate bar with almonds."

Trivia
-The fight choreographers gave Hilary Swank a "pink belt" for her mastery of the most flashy techniques, but none of the basics.
-When the monk bowls a gutter ball (which jumps out to make a strike at the last second) the 10 pin begins falling before the ball contacts any of the pins.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Well, I had a mini Veronica Lake marathon last night:

Sullivan's Travels - Preston Sturges' classic and one of my personal favs. If you've never seen this one, shame on you!

Trivia: Veronica Lake was really hot

Quote: "There's a lot to be said for making people laugh. Did you know that that's all some people have? It isn't much, but it's better than nothing in this cockeyed caravan."

The Blue Dahlia - Raymond Chandler-penned noir. Alan Ladd is a returning war vet under suspicion for the murder of his wife. Veronica Lake is the estranged wife of the shady nightclub owner who was trysting with Ladd's wife. (Why he would want to cheat on Lake-a real sweetheart here-is a mystery in itself.) Not a classic, but a solid suspenser with a superior cast.

Trivia: Monkey music gives you headaches, Alan Ladd can take a licking but keep on ticking, Veronica Lake was really hot

Quote: "You're wearing the wrong shade of lipstick, Mister."

I'll be having a zombie movie marathon tomorrow, but of course that'll be covered in the Zombie Movie Appreciation Thread. Here are some of the tantalizing titles: Zombie Doom, Deadline, Dead Girl Walking, Lover from Beyond the Grave, Living Dead Lock Up, Psychomania, Una De Zombis and the Zombie Bloodbath trilogy.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm so into this, i've been watching multiple marathons at work for months, granted it's on my 7" portable that I have on my desk and connected to my shelf system but it serves it's purpose. :) I'll leave out reviews and comments because it would just take me too long to type all that.

I hope your comfy cuz here goes :D...

My sequel marathons which is still ongoing, I plan to start the Lethal Weapon series on Monday morning...

The entire Friday the 13th series including Jason Goes to Hell, Freddy vs Jason (which to me fits in perfectly with either film series) and Jason X and the extras disc in the Friday the 13th dvd collection. That whole series took me a week because I was able to sqeeze in at least three a day.

The Evil Dead series.

The entire Robocop series, piece of cake, one day. :cool:

The Karate Kid series, again, one day.

The entire Star Wars saga including the two Clone Wars dvd's, properly placed between episodes II & III.

The Die Hard trilogy. My boss wasn't there the day I watched Die Hard so I was able to crank it up.
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

The Kill Bill films.

The Nightmare on Elm Street series including Freddy vs Jason (yep, watched it twice lol).

Titanic and Ghosts of the Abyss.

The Rambo trilogy, you'd be amazed at how short those films are when watched non stop lol.

The Back to the Future trilogy.

The Final Destination trilogy.

The Terminator trilogy.

The Omen series including the remake.

The Young Guns films.

And i'm going to start the Lord of the Rings directors cuts soon but I need to work up to those, that's a lot to bite off. ;) I also plan to watch the entire Superman series now that i've got the big dvd collection.

And i've had marathons of random films that I usually break up into genres...

Comedies (each bunch represents one work day)...

Bowfinger
Beverly Hills Cop
Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Ferris Buellers Day Off
Office Space
Just Friends

Liar, Liar
The two Ace Ventura films.

Action...

Speed
The two Predator films.

Drama/action...

John Q
Out of Time
Crimson Tide

Animated...

Cars
The Toy Story films.

Random...

The Hunt for Red October
The Lost Boys
Tombstone

E.T. (which still managed to make me cry despite the fact that I was working while watching it)
The Island

Pleasantville
Bruce Almighty
Killer Klowns from Outer Space

Armageddon
The Rock

Sin City
The Crow

And finally the entire series so far of Smallville and Seinfeld.

WHEW! :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Hehe, I work in a factory, we make nylon laundry bags, the sewer sews them and then they come to me and I put them together and box them up. Not a bad job, I get 11 cents per bag and I can do 8 to 900 a day.

Nope, not hiring. ;)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
hmm, I usually watch movies thematically, and post round ups on another site. I'll cross post them here, in the future. :)

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
That's an impressive list John. I'll never keep up with you, but I hope you post em. I just realized how long it's been since I saw any of the Lethal Weapon films. I may have to line that one up myself.

I've started another "marathon." This one is a bit strange. There will only be one new discovery in it, and it's not shipping until today. I've only viewed one film so far, and I'm gonna wait and post all of them together. It'll be more fun for me that way. Although, I may head up to the local used store and see if I can't make another match. Stay Tuned.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
"I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all."

Do me a favor and please ignore my previous post. I can't quite recall what happened, but I obviously never got around to posting about that last marathon. For anyone who may care, it was a bowling theme, and I believe the films I watched were, The Big Lebowski, Dream With the Fishes and either another title that I watched or was going to watch that escapes me. Probably Grease 2 now that I think about it. I think that's where it all began with that crazy "Let's bowl, let's bowl, let's rock and roll song getting into my head.

I have a marathon about half to a little more than half completed, and my next post (hopefully :) ) will be the first part of it. Until then, I have a bit of a quirky question. Are you ever mid-marathon (or even mid movie...or about to put in a movie you are just in the mood for) when something (a scene, jingle, song or anything along those lines) triggers something in your brain and makes you do a 180 and stop what you're doing and watch whatever was triggered? Even though you are watching or was about to watch something completely different, you just have to go to the other? Happens a bunch to me. And more often than not, it's usually something stupid (like the bowling song mentioned earlier) and it cannot be denied.

The most recent time it happened was in between my current marathon (I just got in the Masters of Horror first season) and I flipped over to the tv in between movies, and there on the screen was a mostly naked cowgirl. She proceeded to have a showdown with what I'm assuming to be the head bad guy. It was as horrible as it sounds (but oddly enough, the absolute best gunfight I've ever seen with a cowgirl in nothing but a thong and chaps) and made me instantly put down Deer Woman and insert The Quick and the Dead.

I'm not sure why I felt the need to share that with you, but I did.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
The Masters of Horror
Season One

This seems like a great idea on paper. Get together some of the best horror directors of all time, and have them film a movie (with certain time/budget restrictions) with pretty much free reign. No studio interference, no content limitations, and no holds barred. Well, I bought in. I was able to view a couple of these (almost a year ago I believe) before, but when I came across the whole box set for less than 50 bucks (in a cool mausoleum set at that) I had to get it.

For fun, I'm going to list and rank the 13 directors with my thoughts and faves.

1.John Carpenter- By far my favorite director from this franchise. Sure he's had his misses (and sometimes some pretty big ones) but even the best big leaguers strike out occasionally. Favorite film:The Thing

2.John Landis- By far my favorite director (that I don't really consider a "master of horror".....master of comedy..sure) from this franchise. The exact same thing for Mr. Carpenter applies for Mr. Landis. Though, I often do find myself laughing at least a couple times even in his stinkers. Favorite film: American Werewolf in London

3.Don Coscarelli- I'm giving Don the nod here because when I grew up, The Beastmaster was one of my favorite movies. I've watched it a million billion times. Tanya Roberts in this film was quite helpful during puberty. Plus, Phantasm scared the absolute shit out of me as a kid. Favorite film: The Beastmaster

4.Joe Dante- Joe could easily have been number three, mostly due to Explorers....a wonderful film. Joe is another director I hesitate to label a "master of horror" just because he doesn't do hardly any horror. But, he seems like a likable enough chap. Favorite film: Explorers

5.Tobe Hooper- Hard to imagine the guy behind The Texas Chainsaw Massacre being behind the guy who did Looney Tunes: Back in Action, but that's where he falls. Tobe just has polluted us with too much crap to get any higher. Although he is responsible for the second best horror film of all the collected artists. Favorite film: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

6.Lucky McKee- I've only seen May, but it's one powerful film. That promise lands him here. Favorite film: May

7.Takashi Miike- I've only seen a couple of Miike's films too. Perhaps more exposure might otherwise affect some of these decisions. Miike certainly has the power to haunt. Favorite Film: Audition

8.Stuart Gordon- Re-Animator and From Beyond have stuck with me through the years, but other than that, none of his films have had a lasting impression with me. Favorite film: Re-Animator

It starts to get a little harder here

9.John McNaughton- Here's another not really horror guy. I haven't seen a lot of his work, but other than one, I don't really care much for any of his films that I have seen. Favorite Film: Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

10.Dario Argento- I know I'm going to catch a ton of shit for having this guy this far down on the list, but of the couple films I've seen, I just didn't care all that much for them. I don't think they're shit, but I just don't get it. Favorite film: Suspiria...i guess

11.Larry Cohen- I've not seen a lot of his stuff either. It's Alive was an okay film from what very little of it I remember. Same with Q. Favorite film: The Stuff...i guess

12.Mick Garris- I want so badly to put this guy at the bottom, but he is responsible for getting this series together and off the ground. Plus, he seems like a pretty good guy. I just can't stand his movies. Everything I've seen from him seems like a paint-by-numbers horror film. Favorite film: The Stand...i guess

13.William Malone- I've only seen a couple (has he made more than that) and can say that they both were dog turds. Actually, I didn't even get all the way through FeardotCom. So perhaps it had an awesome ending/second half. Perhaps he has something I just don't see. Favorite film: Hopefully, the one in this series.

I'll start with the rest shortly.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
I'm going in no particular order (actually, the order they are in the box set) and I'll rank the films at the end once I've seen them all.

Jenifer
Dario Argento

I think I did a review of this in last year's Scary Movie Challenge. Man, I hope I don't contradict myself. It's a fun enough ride. I guess, you could infer some type of message that men are dogs and will "do" anything with a nice body.

Jenifer is a lady who happens to be deformed (her face.....everything else is pretty much good to go) and has a taste for flesh. She's unable to speak, and communicates via the ol' "grab my boob" technique. And she uses it on Frank, the policeman who managed to save her from the ax of her former lover/captor/protector, and wouldn't you know it manages to ruin his marriage. And it's not long before the neighborhood cats, children, and carnival barkers end up missing. Well Frank can't have that, so they move to the woods where he hopes to salvage his sanity.

Not near as bad as I make it sound, this has been the favorite film I've seen from Mr. Argento. Certainly worth checking out.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck with a meat cleaver.

Trivia This is the only installment that required material cut from the film. This was due to a Showtime policy involving male full frontal nudity, as during one scene Jenifer is shown biting Dirk Diggler's penis in half. (The penis was made from the same mold they used for Dirk Diggler in Boogie Nights)

Favorite Kill going to go with the corpse in the refrigerator....while we don't actually see the kill, anytime (thanks Friday the 13th part 2) people's parts end up in the fridge, I get the willies

Running Body Count
5 deaths
1 animal death
1 inappropriate anal sex

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
Cigarette Burns
John Carpenter

Ever wonder what would happen if you (and I'm quoting here) "sacrificed" an Angel on film? Well, I guess you'd get a film that drives the viewers to total violence. A film that haunts those who even just seek it out. Or at least that's what you get when you make a film with an Angel having its wings sawed off. I'm guessing if the filmmakers had actually sacrificed the angel, people would just explode when they watched it.

This film has all the same trappings of similar constructs, but you never fall into them long enough to ruin the viewing. The acting is serviceable, with the exception of Udo Kier who seems to be having a grand ol time, and you can't help but have fun with him. Some interesting stuff here, but not up to snuff with John's best work. That having been said, it's the best thing he's done in awhile.

Favorite Kill No doubt, it has to be the ol intestines through the film projector scene. Good fun.

Running Body Count
8 deaths
1 animal death
1 inappropriate anal sex
2 suicides
1 set of intestines run through film projector

mtlfilmguy

Agent
Real Name
Benoit Tisseur
yes i am that culprit TravisR is talking about...:laugh:

but the oscar on my mantel clearly states i won it for having Poltergeist as one of my fave films and saying John Williams wrote the score instead of Jerry Goldsmith !!

Ben

mtlfilmguy

Agent
Real Name
Benoit Tisseur
on the subject of marathons while most people have a certain connection between the films,i try to screw it up by having films so unrelated im in a daze for two hours after.

try this for a change.

Robert Wise films in a specific order.

1.West side story first.
2.his next film The haunting right after.
3.and finish with Sound of music.

believe me,a black and white eerie scary film between two legendary musicals and youll be like the guy from Memento going " what the hell did i just watch ?"

or Blue velvet right before Pee-wee's big adventure(or maybe the other way around)

Ben

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter

I'm sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear. I meant that it was funny (to me) that I had Tobe Hooper (who did Texas) behind Dante (who did Looney Tunes) on my list of fave directors in a "Masters of Horror" discussion. Texas (at least to me) is one of the single best horror films of all time. And I have the guy responsible behind Dante (who I'm pretty sure many would agree is not exactly a "Master of Horror"). It's just that given the choice between watching a new film by Dante or Hooper, right now I'd watch the Dante first.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter

I totally agree. That was kind of the vibe I was going to go for with my bowling marathon. I just either lost interest or something came up. Knowing me, it was a bit of both. It's fun trying to find a connection between weirdly different films. Hopefully you'll keep us up to date on any similar undertakings. I'm interested at least.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
Pick Me Up
Larry Cohen

Mr. Cohen's entry involves a bit of cat and mouse play with a couple of serial killers. Walker is a hitchhiker who preys upon those decent enough to give him a ride. Wheeler is a truck driver who preys upon those unfortunate enough to get a ride from him. It isn't long before both realize what the other is, and the game is underfoot.

Fairuza Balk (who I'm not a bit ashamed to admit really excites me in that "bad girl" way) is poorly underused as the "trophy" these two madmen set their sights on. She really isn't given anything to do, and you never connect to her in any way. You just wait to see what happens to her.

Our killers are played with much more gusto. Warren Kole plays Walker and Michael Moriarty plays Wheeler. Both (especially Moriarty) seem to be having a great time, and you can't help but have fun with them.

The ending will be seen as one of two ways. I think some will find the ending too absurd, and could possibly ruin the good time. I think it fell in line with the atmosphere, but still really wish Mr. Cohen could have pulled a bit fresher cat from the bag of tricks. All in all, a fun (if forgettable) ride.

Favorite Kill There isn't a whole lot of memorable kills here, but I'll give the nod to the "rattlesnake strangle."

Running Body Count
15 deaths
2 animal deaths
1 inappropriate anal sex
2 suicides

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
Homecoming
Joe Dante

I guess I better tread lightly here. Joe uses this opportunity to tell a story important to him. While it does fall in line with some horror elements, you'd be crazy to call this a horror film.

The long and short of it: Dead veterans are coming back from the dead to vote in the latest election.

There are potshots taken at a few political persons, and it's clear Dante has an agenda here, but I'd be lying if I didn't say the film was quite dramatic. The horror elements are barely played upon, but the comedy and drama combine to a perfect melody.

The great thing about this Master of Horror format is being able to do something like this. I'm not sure it would have worked as well as full-length feature, but just fits perfectly in this hour time slot. And whether you agree or disagree with the themes at hand, you have to admit this is a nice little diversion from the majority of "horror" films we're being force fed these days.

Favorite Kill There isn't a lot to choose from here, but I'm going with the head bashing scene.

Running Body Count
18 deaths
2 animal deaths
1 inappropriate anal sex
2 suicides

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Re-reading your post, you were 100% clear and I can not read properly. Sorry. :)

While on the topic of Tobe Hooper, I quite liked Dance Of The Dead. It's one of Hooper's better outings of the last 20 or 25 years. Granted, I'm biased because I even dig his bad movies (and there's plenty of those) but I really enjoyed his Masters episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks