What's new

The Mouse That Roared DVD (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I knew it all along. RAH is Cthulhu, and uses his many tentacles to hold together vinegar-rotten film elements for restoration......:D

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
I refrained from calling Glen a hardhead in my last post, but now I shall call him a hardhead because there is no other word for such an obstinate stubborn mule. Really, Glen, baby, is it so hard to admit you are wrong? You ARE wrong, everyone here has told you you are wrong, many of us saw the film in its initial release and it was in color. You have no argument and if you continue to be a hard-headed nincompoop I'm afraid you shall look even stupider than you look now. Give it a rest, bucko, and move on.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The reason that most sites say that it is in colour now is because the DVD is out, and it is in colour. It would look a little weird to have info on a film that clashes with the DVD.
Mmm, that could be the reason. Yes, it could be, I guess.

And what could be the reason I watched it in colour in the cinema, back in 1960, as I stated in my earlier post (post #8)?

Cees

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Hello?

Has anyone actually seen this DVD and would care to opine on its quality? I've got one on order as none of the B&M stores carried it.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
I've watched the DVD and it looks fine. Very colorful too. :) And it features what I assume is the original British-accented narrator. The TV print I grew up with used an American type (or at least mid-Atlantic type) voice to speak the narration.

--Bill

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I was sure that after Mr. Harris replied three days ago this thread was going to die, but some others just keep on plugging away to keep this open, and it looks like this topic is almost as important as global warming, so I'm going to hopefully finish this off, for good.

First Bruce, not everyone that has posted here has been against me. I do understand why they haven't gotten into this mess, and my message to them is - don't feel bad for not supporting me on this. I wouldn't want anyone else to get into this, knowing that they'd receive repeated bashings as I have, of a sort.

Second, I was not the person that suggested that it was shot in Technicolor, that was Dennis, but he got the info from IMDB, which I have found has more than a few errors in it. The info I got on Technicolor was only the result of his telling me that it was done that way.

Third, I will not argue that it was shot in Eastman Color, but no one has brought up the screen shot from the film yet. Maybe they left it out so that b/w prints could be run from it without any problems. (Yes, I know you didn't want to hear that).

Fourth, No one can claim that any site on the Internet is perfect (as the IMDB is/isn't). Ask youself this - If you wre creating a webpage and put this movie on it, you would add that it is in colour. Why? Because you saw it that way!

Let's reverse the question. Why would anyone put down black and white? It doesn't make any sense at all, unless the pagewriter knew it or got it from somewhere.

As I was trying to explain before, if a site did have b/w on it (getting that info from who knows where), and realized that the DVD would be in colour, they would change it as fast as they could, before they looked stupid. The site on mice is a perfect example of that. Someone there missed something. Ok, a few things.

I don't mean just about the DVD though, because it is out on VHS in colour too, but finding out that the DVD was coming out might have resulted in several pages being corrected. One of the problems with this is that a dot com site would be selling it, and probably already has the VHS version in colour on it anyway, so they wouldn't have to do much, but finding a site that is not selling it is not easy.

Fifth, as I wrote before a few times. Unless the person that wrote the page on the flag did so from a mental institution, what gives? Maybe some markets got a colour version, and others got a black and white one?

Ok, I hear 'no' to this. However, the Columbia Hammer film "Terror of the Tongs" was mentioned earlier to have been shot in colour yet released in b/w too. If that weren't enough, Mr. Harris stated that Gideon of Scotland Yard was also released that way. Columbia again?

Now we have two movies released both ways in the late '50's by the same studio that did TMTR. Why not a third?

Now, as we all know, after the original movie gets to the finished product on film, they make copies of it and ship them out. With the two other films mentioned above, they used B/W film for some of the transfers. This is not a big deal!

Could it be possible that for its initial release, some places got b/w copies first, and after the initial run of a week, the theaters just shipped them out to more theaters? The second week they'd just get moved around, and I'm just guessing here, but The Orient and South Asia were probably some of their destinations. Having staggered first-run dates back then was very common.

Of course, the cop-out is that this happened over 4 decades ago, and getting info from '59 is next to impossible now. There isn't a Columbia.com website, and Sony will not take any questions.

As for any books that cover this movie stating that it is in colour, that all might depend upon the number of b/w reels that were made. Maybe it was a smaller percentage than Gideon & Terror, so most of the critics might not even know about it.

Now, for the rest of you 'old folks' out there, can anyone remember seeing a trailer in colour and then seeing the movie in b/w? I can, and this was probably one of them.

I'm resting my case now. I'll state again that I cannot prove it, one way or the other. I have shown two places that support me, and the explanation I gave for why there are not more sites makes sense to me. If anything is unclear here, let me know, and I'll try to explain it another way.

Glenn

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
OK Derek, you have convinced me that I did the right thing by ordering this flick......that shot of Leo McKern with hair holding the wineglass is worth the price of admission.....

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Glenn Overholt:
Ok, I hear 'no' to this. However, the Columbia Hammer film "Terror of the Tongs" was mentioned earlier to have been shot in colour yet released in b/w too. If that weren't enough, Mr. Harris stated that Gideon of Scotland Yard was also released that way. Columbia again?

I can add to this. Columbia released the Hammer/William Castle film "The Old Dark House" in the US in b/w. Also "The Vulture" ('66) released by Paramount, and "Dr. Blood's Coffin" ('61) released by United Artists.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
One of the things I remember about seeing the film back in 1960 or thereabouts was how surprised I was that it was in color. I was a Peter Seller's fan and saw all his English (British) films at an art house on the East Side of Manhattan and they were in gold old black and white. Many years later Mr. Sellers and I had a brief conversation as we crossed Park Avenue en route to the Waldorf Astoria Hotel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks