What's new

The Mouse That Roared DVD (1 Viewer)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I was just kidding about the projecter Ted. Sorry you didn't get that.

As for the selective memory, it is possible, but the technicolor process allows both color & B&W processing from one camera. Although the whole techicolor process became obsolete about a decade before this, it doesn't mean that every camera got swapped out right away.

Stephen, I had a deja' vu on that last night, and now seem to recall that it lasted for a few years, but we do need an expert on this. Maybe it was just Columbia that did this.

Glenn

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
In the early years of televsion, both here and Europe, many color films were converted to black and white for broadcast. Perhaps some of you saw the film on tv or at an art house (re-run) that got a b&w version?

Stephen, I had a deja' vu on that last night, and now seem to recall that it lasted for a few years
I'm sorry to hear you had deja' vu for so long. Glad you're ok now. :D

John KB

Second Unit
I did end up buying the dvd. I watch it in the car during my 13 hour drive to Calgary. I really enjoyed it! Thanks for the imput.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Glenn...

The last of the real 3-strip Technicolor movies (in the U.S. at least) were made in the first half of the 1950's, I think. Many of those cameras were later converted for other formats (many for Technirama). By the time Mouse was made, Eastmancolor was the norm. However, prints were often made in the dye-transfer process still.

It is too bad that Columbia is gone, as it would be nice to get the original info on it, but it should be available somewhere. Odd that any company would make 2 prints of a film too.
Columbia is still around...I don't know what made you think it wasn't. I hear they made a good bit of money with a bug movie last year, in fact.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
I grew up in Asia, as I recall, I saw the film some time in the 60s, probably early part of 60s and it was black and white. It was definitely not TV, as there really wasn't any TV then (over in SE Asia). May be there was different prints for different distribution, don't know.
I have not thought about the film for close to 40 years, and it was the first thing that popped up when I read about all the post conflict reconstruction in Iraq and the cost. NOT meant to be a political statement, I was rather amused at myself that I somehow just thought about a movie I saw so long ago.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
It was a Columbia release, but Sony did the DVD.
As for having a B&W memory of it, I don't think that would be possible. How could anyone remember that it was in B&W, and no, a B&W TV is out. LIke I said before, this late in the game, someone would have to find the original release notes on it, or find a way to dig up an origianl review.

Glenn

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It was a Columbia release, but Sony did the DVD.
Sony owns Columbia (and Tri-Star).

Why look for notes? All you have to do is watch the opening credits. It should have a color credit such as "Color by Technicolor" or "Technicolor" or "Eastmancolor" etc. in the credit sequence.

Columbia, to my knowledge, didn't comission any colorizations other than having a handful of Barney Google cartoons re-traced in the late 1980's. The Technicolor negatives were lost for those cartoons, thus they re-created the color by reanimating the films.

Plus, if it were colorized, there would be a new copyright line such as "Color Version (c) 1996 Columbia Pictures"

And if it were colorized, you'd see a HUGE uproar about it.

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
Dear Glen:

What is the matter with you? The film was shot in color. The film was shown in color. Many here saw it in its first release (myself included) and are telling you it was in color. Still, you sit there and don't believe it, and say things like "Can't we find a review?" or "I wish Columbia was around (last I heard they put out this fershluganah DVD). Why? The film was in color. You are either mis-remembering or you saw it on TV in black-and-white. And that is the end of this story.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well I'll just say this. I've looked through a number of reference books I have (all long predating this current dvd), and they all list this is a color film.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Gee guys. The film was photographed in Eastman color (colour). It's a fact. I saw it on television last year and it was in color. I saw it in a theatre in New York City when it first came out and it was in color. The DVD is in color. What is the problem?????????!!!!!!!!!??????!!!!! :frowning:

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
There isn't any problem - it's just a little disagreement about what we all saw.

Some should reread posts # 14 & 25.

Also, if you haven't yet, and it does seem as if a lot of people didn't, click on my link (post 7). If there are no arguements then I have to assume that no one disagrees.

The reason that most sites say that it is in colour now is because the DVD is out, and it is in colour. It would look a little weird to have info on a film that clashes with the DVD.

I did find another site:

http://www.btinternet.com/~lambjw/mice/a-z.htm#GlossM

This does show what happens when you don't fix everything, though.

I do need to ask about the flag maker. Can anyone explain that?

Oh, I'm colorblind :)

Glenn

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Glenn,

That site has another strange error: it claims that the Duchess is played by a (young?) Margareth Rutherford. We all know who played her, though.

Cees

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Glenn:
That site has another strange error: it claims that the Duchess is played by a (young?) Margareth Rutherford. We all know who played her, though.
Actually, Margaret Rutherford did play the Duchess. It is only since the DVD came out that sites list the part as being played by Peter Sellers... ;)

DJ

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mouse was photographed on Eastman color negative 5248 stock, and has always been a color film. While at some point during its history, it may have played local television in black and white, that does not change the fact that it is a color film.

Unlike films such as the 1958 Gideon of Scotland Yard, which was photograhed in Eastman color and released in the U.S. in black & white, Mouse was not.

RAH

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
RAH,

Where do you get all this specific film stock information? Is there some kind of reference work that lists which films were shot on what stock?

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I won't pretend to answer for RAH, but film stock changes every decade or so and during the period that TMTR was filmed that was the Eastman color stock used. RAH is very knowledgeable about such things.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Those in the know are aware that I'm a warlock and have such information, generally, by sacrifice.

RAH

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I knew that the Great Old Ones would deliver us a warlock of amazing powers. Behold the dark arts of color correction and film stock restoration! RAH is the Chosen One!

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks