The Mouse That Roared DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John KB, Jul 10, 2003.

1. John KB

John KB Second Unit

Is this movie worth a blind purchase? I have never seen it, but thought I'd like to.
    I do like Peter Sellers, although I couldn't call myself a huge fan. I've basically only seen a couple of his movies plus the Pink Panthers, (which I love, by the way).
    Any opinions or reviews on this movie, or the DVD, would be appreciated.
    thanks in advance.

2. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

JohnKB: It's a hilarious movie, and if you've liked any Peter Sellers movie, this is no different. I'd pick it up!

3. John KB

John KB Second Unit

Thanks Jesse.

4. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    This is a great movie, but it is somewhat different from the Pink Panther movies. In the Pink Panther films, Sellers plays the bumbling inspector and lots of slapstick ensues. It's been a while since I've seen The Mouse That Roared, but I remember it having a different feel to it. In The Mouse That Roared, Sellers plays multiple roles, all quite different, and the humor doesn't just hit you over the head. I'm not saying that it's subtle, but it's definitely more subtle than in the Pink Panther movies.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Pink Panther movies also, but I'm not sure that it's a given that you'll like The Mouse That Roared just because you like the Pink Panther films.

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yes, it is very different. I don't think that anything has ever come out quite like it, but it is a really funny flick.

However, I was surprised to see that the DVD is in colour, as it did come out in B & W. I tried to find a list of colourized movies last night but didn't get anywhere. Does anyone know when - and who - did that?

Glenn

6. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Glenn,
    Are you sure about this? IMDB says this was originally shot in color by Technicolor, although there are errors in IMDB.

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yeah, it did make me wonder at first, but I have never seen it in colour. After several failed attempts to get to the bottom of it, I found this one.

http://www.allstates-flag.com/fotw/flags/flagtmtr.html

Yeah, this could be bogus too, but they did change the colours several times, which is odd.

Is there a list of colourized films out there anywhere?

Glenn

8. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Glenn,

I saw it in the theater back in 1960 and it certainly was in colour.

I have ordered this hilarious movie (it is on its way, but hasn't arrived yet). I'm not sure if it may feel somewhat dated, politically speaking.

Cees

9. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

It was definitely in colour and I would also suggest looking at the sequel to this which is Mouse on the Moon. I thought that was incredibly funny too.

Patrick

10. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor

Bill Buklis
    Definitely check out this movie. It also features William Hartnell before he became super famous in Doctor Who.

I see they also have the DVD for The Mouse on the Moon out. That one I haven't seen yet.

After seeing the movie you should definitely check out the books that these were based on. Very funny books. Great political satire. As decent as the movie may be, it still doesn't do the book justice.

There are also a couple other mouse books in the series, most notably - The Mouse on Wall Street. AFAIK they haven't made a movie of that one yet.

11. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Films were no longer being shot in Technicolor when this film was photographed.

It was an Eastman color production.

12. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

In the colonies, it was in COLOR! Lots of location shots of New York City, but the actors never actually went there. Mr. Sellers is a bit chubbier in this film (as he is in most of his English ones). "Mouse On The Moon" is sans Sellers but Terry-Thomas is in it! Go here for info on the DVD.

13. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Really? I'm sure I've never seen it in color. Can it be that I haven't seen it since television was in black & white??? [​IMG]

14. Stephen PI

Stephen PI Supporting Actor

Glenn Overholt:
    However, I was surprised to see that the DVD is in colour, as it did come out in B & W. I tried to find a list of colourized movies last night but didn't get anywhere. Does anyone know when - and who - did that?

I do recall some British features that were shot in color but were released in the US in b/w only. At present I can only remember one, I think it was the Columbia Hammer film "Terror of the Tongs".

15. Peter Kline

Mouse definately was filmed in color and released in the U.S. that way. It's played on tv here many times in color.

16. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Maybe the Eastman color just faded to black and white. :p)

17. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Very strange! I'm not going to argue with it as I can not prove it one way or the other, but I do remember being disappointed at it not being in colour when I saw it first run. Maybe they only had a black and white projector at the theater? [​IMG]

It is too bad that Columbia is gone, as it would be nice to get the original info on it, but it should be available somewhere. Odd that any company would make 2 prints of a film too.

Glenn

18. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

No such thing as a black and white film projector in a theater. [​IMG] And yes, it was originally released in the US in color. I remember seeing it at the Queen theater in Hawaii.

Ted

19. Peter Kline

..... Fade to black.

20. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    glenn are you sure you aren't having selective memory and are mis-remembering? you must have seen this on tv in black and white and are thinking it was at the movies.
    or another movie, altogether.