What's new

The Mother Of All DVD Soundtracks??!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

terence

Supporting Actor
Could this be The Mother Of All DVD’s??!!!!!!!

With quotes like this………..

I can’t wait for this thing to come out now. I guess I can scoot over to Wal-Mart @ midnight and pick it up early, but I have yet to hear the words these guys have said about any DVD reviewed.

So could it be the best sounding ever to date?

Has any body heard this puppy yet, and what are your thoughts?

I do like to give my system a great work out, so if we have the holy grail of them all then WOW!

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator

yes, yes...extended edition..the magic words. That's why I will only rent the regular edition. I've gotten the first two extended editions as Christmas presents the last two years in a row and that trend will continue into this year too.

brad cook

Dom P

Stunt Coordinator
One day I'll sit down and watch all the extended editions in a row. Followed by Titanic or something like that.;)

Haven't seen the last one yet. I'm holding out cause I want to see it on my new HT system once I'm done with it.

Dean Wette

Stunt Coordinator
I just upgraded my 5.1 system to 7.1 and have been waiting anxiously for this DVD to come out.

Let the assault begin...

Dean

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
Brad,

I do the same exact thing. My copy should be here from Netflix today or tomorrow. I'll wait and purchase the exteneded edition around Christmas.

Bill

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
As did mine. I probably won't have a chance to watch it til tomorrow or Thursdat though. I'm tempted to go to a battle scene to check out this awesome sound, but I don't like doing that until after I watched it all the way through at least once at home.

Nick Breckon

Stunt Coordinator
I've had this disc a week, thanks to that early EBGames mishap.. if you're out of the know, they just got sued by New Line for breaching contract. My copy got here by 1-day mail on the very day they filed. Whew!

Anyway, I've had a chance to play it a couple of times through, me being an LoTR freak. So far I'm pretty impressed, but there are a few noticeable problems with the soundtrack IMO.

First being the music. It's a bit overbearing at times, compared to the theatrical mix. The bass is impressive, but to me it lacks the range and definition of the DTS tracks from the previous films. Every "hit" seemed to be just as loud as the last, if you get my meaning (on a PC+20-39).

It may have just been by design, but once the major battles started, I had to turn the master volume down a good 3 or 4 decibels to keep it equal to the first half of the movie, even in terms of dialogue. One very small thing I noticed as well - the initial Witch King scream that was painfully loud in even the worst theater, was now simply loud.

In terms of audio, it pains me to say it, but this disc doesn't come close to being as impressive as the Master and Commander DTS. Not in terms of bass or surround effects, at least.

Overall I still love the disc, and I'm impressed with the video quality considering the length, but I second the need for the EE. I honestly haven't even listened to a 5.1 soundtrack on any DVD for maybe a month, EX or otherwise, and hearing this one really drove home the differences between 5.1 and DTS.

August (or November?) can't get here any sooner.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
i just watched this dvd last night. it was great, but its not the best ive heard. the master and commander was better IMO, and i think both of the other LOTR DTS tracks are better. the extended edition with a DTS track will be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks