What's new

The most you'd pay for your speakers (1 Viewer)

Martice

Screenwriter
What would be the most you'd pay for your current pair of speakers? We always talk about how much of a great deal we got on our speakers, so what would be the most you'd pay for your speakers if you didn't catch such a great deal?
Example:
My PSB Goldi's retailed at $3,000 (Black Gloss). Would I have spent that much for them? HELL NO!!!!!
I paid $1675.00(a great deal)for mine I wouldn't have owned them if they cost much more than that.
I liked the PSB's while I had them but after hearing the $3,000 Kef 201's I actually feel I've heard a speaker that's actually worth considering the $3,000 price tag.
*** Hey I made my 500th post. The funny thing is I don't remember half of the posts I made. :D

Chip E

Screenwriter
Well....

I've got the Silver i 's in gloss black which go for $1100.00 a piece... i paid $750.00. I probably wouldn't have bought them if i had too pay full list.. who knows, maybe i would've. Hard ta say.. Great speakers though, i'm pretty happy with them.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Budget guy time....
NHT SuperOne's were $175 each for a long time. I got mine for $200 / pair. I wouldn't pay $350 for them ever, even if I DID know how good they were. $200 is fair.
:D

Martice

Screenwriter
I find it interesting that we could rave over a speakers performance at a certain price point but we seldom conclude what the most we'd pay for them.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
My Paradigm Studio 40's retail in laminate for $1200 a pair. I got mine for $680. I doubt I would have paid more than $800/pr. for them. Great speaker for the money, but I will be hitting the speaker market in the next 3-5 years looking for that elusive audio nirvana. Maybe I'll be looking at those Kef's Martice!!!:D

Martice

Screenwriter
I've since taken the plunge on the GR Research offerings namely the AV1+ model. I hope to be pleasantly rewarded for taking a chance on them without hearing them.

As for the Kef's. Wonderful speaker!!

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
Got my Goldi's for about $1800/pr. I still really like them and have had no desire to get something else.

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
I paid $160.00 (pair) + shipping ($90.00 Damn Ubid) for my Wharfedale Modus 1.6 in Rose Veneer.
Am I Hapy with them? Absolutely! Would I pay more for them? Probably about $500.00 for the pair , but Im poor so Thats my budget for these speakers.
Would I buy expensive speakers?? Absolutely! I would gladly pay $3000.00 a pair for my NEXT set but they BETTER get me to Audio NIRVANA or I'll give them back!!:D
My .02 cents

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
I own the PSB Gold i's (cherry finish) also, and I picked 'em up for $1200 for a mint condition pair. Had to drive to Phoenix from SoCal, but they were worth it. To my ears they sound much more expensive than that. I thought it was a great deal at the time, and the past year has proven that fact. They are a tremendous all-around value for the money. Would have paid $500 more for them. I think they are the best deal in speakers for around $1500. Would I have paid full price? No. If I were to drop that kind of dough ($2700) it would be for something like the Monitor Gold Reference 60's or maybe some used ML's.

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
I have Mirage OM-7's. They retail for $3000 (Canadian) and I got them for $2100. Gotta love making friends with retailers :D

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
I got a pair of JMLab Electra 920.1 floorstanders for $2000 which was already way over my initial budget of $1250. These speakers retail for $5000 so I got a good deal. I'm hoping these last forever.......

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I paid $3000 for my $4500 NHT 3.3s, and while I wouldn't want to pay any more for them, I would, because I haven't heard a speaker under $10,000 that I like better!

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
My spks package came to $2725 (3 years ago) for two sets of NHT VT-2's (front/rear) and two VS-2A's (double centre). My Velodyne HGS-18 was $800...Good to know good people in high places.

Arnel Enero

Stunt Coordinator
Just imagine this... the new Sonus Faber Cremona would cost around $7000 in the States. Now, the local stockist has promised to sell his first pair to me (once it arrives IN AUGUST, hell!) for $4500.

Am I willing to buy it at that "great deal" price? Well yes... it's still pricey but the Italian speaker is worth it both as a luxury item and high-performance speaker! Am I willing to pay the full US price? No, coz I know elsewhere in the world the Sonus Faber speakers don't cost as much as they do in the US.

Thing is, for me it's not whether or not I pay full price... it's about two things (1) is the speaker worth the asking price? (2) does the asking price fair well with the FULL retail price someplace else?

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I have the Advent A-S Two's Costco specials. I tried some other towers that were $430,- I could not tell the difference. Im 100% HT. I pay-ed $75 apiece for the Advents. I would pay mmmm $300 apiece if it would make a difference! Now a sub I would pay up to $3000 for but I know of one that is going for around $850 at this time That I will get the first of the year if I don't order it today.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
I bought a near mint condition pair of Klipsch Cornwalls 7 years ago from a guy who's wife "Just couldn't stand the way they looked anymore!:rolleyes:" for $600.
I wouldn't sell them for 5 times the price today! :)

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
The problem with all this is that I can say what I think a speaker is "worth," but that only partially influences what I will actually pay for it. Also important is what I can personally afford. I paid $425 for a pair of used Studio 20 v.2's. I doubt I would have paid more than about $450 for them, even though I think they are comparable to many bookshelf speakers I have heard at around $1K.

Even apart from financial limitations, I am influenced by other factors. For example, I hold a personal believe that people who pay full price for anything are suckers. Hence, if a speaker lists at $700 but legitimately sounds like a $10,000 speaker, I still wouldn't pay $700 for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks