What's new

The most frustrating sports phenomena: cheering against the home team. (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I wonder about people's sports allgience sometimes these days. How is it, that somebody born and raised in the state of Kentucky, can become a Dukie? Of for that matter, how is it that anybody raised in state A can root or cheer for a team in state B, and love it when they face/off with state A?

Here's part of the story: I have a friend who's been anti-UK since the early 90's. This doesn't make a lot of sense. He was born and raised in Kentucky. Add to the fact that his own dad is U.K. medical school alumni, and this makes the situation all the more puzzling. He's also a big front-runner, but that's a whole 'nother story. I also have other friends who are North Carolina fans and whatnot.

I know there are a lot of Michigan fans out there. Wouldn't it, in the kindest of terms, piss you off if a friend who lived and grew up with you all through school was an Ohio State Buckeye fan?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My family wasn't too happy about my favorite hockey team -- the Montreal Canadiens. I remember rooting for the Habs versus the Red Wings in a playoff series in the 1970's. My family is full of oldtime Wings fans going back to the early Howe days in the 1950's.

Of course, these days the family gives it back to me, since the Wings consistently finish ahead of the Canadiens.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I grew up in Kamloops BC (not too far from Vancouver). Lets just say it was Canuck Country. If you weren't a canuck fan, you were the enemy and were ousted from society. Well, the only person who was not a canucks fan in Kamloops was me. I absolutely HATED them!!! (I don't know why, maybe those god awful black, red, and yellow V's). Those two playoff runs they made, one in the 80's, the other in the 90's, can't remember the teams, I was the only one wearing a hat of the opposition. In fact I still have a long standing bet I made with a buddy of mine, in 96 I think, the year the Sharks came into the league thaht the Sharks would win the Stanley before Vancouver would. I think that bet is gonna be standing for a loooong time beforoe either of us wins. Why was I anti-canuck? I don't really know. I guess it was fun to get people's nerves up, more fun than it was to cheer for the canucks. And there wasn't much reason to cheer for the canucks.

And now I live in Calgary.

nuff said.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I despise televised sports, so I ALWAYS bet against Philly teams going all the way. Keeps me in box sets :)
People are so stupid and blind they keep betting me :)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I think a lot has to do with Parental Alegiences. I live in CT, and a lot of people are either Yankee or Red Sox boosters. Being right in between the two cities, I kinda hated both teams because I was sick of hearing about Red Sox this and Yankees that. Now if my father was a big Yankees fan growing up, I probably would have followed suit. But because he didn't have any strong allegiences, I was able to follow my own heart. In 1981, when I was 10, the Yankees played the A's in the division championship. Being a Yankee hater, I rooted for the A's (who were swept). I've been an A's fan ever since and I live 3000 miles away. Same for football. Grew up hating the Giants (because everyone around here loved 'em!) I also hated the Cowboys too (America's team my ass). When the Cowboys played the Broncos in the 1977 Super Bowl (I was 6), I rooted for Denver. I've rooted for them ever since. I think I'm the only CT resident who roots for the Broncos and A's. Hope that answers your question.

I was a huge Hartford Whaler fan before they moved, but that's a story for another time. Now my favorite hockey team is whomever plays the Carolina Hurricanes.

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
I grew up around Chicago. I now live here in Connecticut. When the Bears play the Pats at Foxboro you will hear me cheering for the Bears:D (that woopin' they took today doesnt help my team spirit much. #@$%$#@!:angry: ):D

Martin G

Second Unit
I has a lot to do with the part of the state that you are from. For instance I know mamy people who live in northern Texas who are Oklahoma fans and who despise UT and Texas A&M. Also there are always in-state rivalries that can make a person hate one team from thier home state.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Hah, you only know APPROXIMATELY where I live ;)
Unless you want me to add you to this year's income list ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks