The most films you've watched without stopping?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Robertson, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

For me, it was the Prince Charles Cinema's 1999 48-hour non-stop marathon.

18 films - I must have been insane. And I can still remember every one of them:

The Sixth Sense (preview), Badlands, Scarface, Alien, Toy Story, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Wild Bunch, Bullitt, GoodFellas, The Long Good Friday, The Blair Witch Project (preview), Apocalypse Now, Emmannuelle and the White Slave Trade (I wish I were joking, man), Romeo and Juliet, Monty Python's Life of Brian, The Sound of Music Sing-A-Long, Diva and Pushing Tin (preview).

On the up side, we got all the free coffee, hot dogs and breakfast cereal we could eat, there were limited amounts of free Stella Artois, as well as showers and Shiatsu massages, plus loads of other goodies and tidbits.

2. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

Jon:
    I think you will win this [​IMG]
    Personally ... I think 3 movies in a row was the most I watched. I usually fall asleep when watching flicks .. so that was definetely a record.

3. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

The most I ever watched in a movie theater was 5. When Nightmare on Elm Street 5 came out a theater in NY did a marathon. I have to say I was alseep for about 15 minutes during the second one.

At home, I am really not sure. Before our child, my wife and I could just watch movies all day. I know for sure I watched all 4 Star Wars back-to-back so I have to go with 4 for now.

4. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I did Season One of The Sopranos straight last weekend. Does that count? =)

5. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

Do you mean at home or at a theater? At home, my record is TBS's entire Eastwood marathon. I was sick that day (I think it was the day after Thanksgiving). I woke up at 6am to Hang'em High, I think, then watched the Man w/No Name trilogy, Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, the Enforcer, then something else, and finally Play Misty for Me, which ended at 6am the following day.

At the theater, my record is 4. When the Star Wars:SE was released I bought tickets for the first five showings, but only stayed for four of them. I decided to leave when I caught myself falling asleep during the 4th showing. It was a fun day. I showed up a little before 8am and was the 30-40th person in line. They let everyone into the Mall around 8:15. I looked like it was going to be a boring wait until the guy behind me went to the Great Cookie Co. (or whatever it's called) and suggested that they give away free soft drinks and cookies. They blew him off at first, but then the Cookie Co. manager & the mall manager came down with a big helping of Coke, coffee, cookies, doughnuts, newspapers and chairs for everyone. That loosened everyone up, and turned it into more of an event, and not just a bunch of dorks standing in line to watch a movie.

6. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I don't have the endurance that Jon has, but I watched all of Roots in one sitting.

7. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

Damn John thats alot of movies. My personal best is 12 during a movie marathon that me and my friends always try and have during the summer. Man 2 days worth of movies. Im gonna have to try and beat that. It's almost summer right??

8. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Would be a tie between all four Star Wars movies in a row and the entire first season of X-Files.

9. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

The event I attended was meant to be an annual thing. There had been one the year before which screened 21 films, and some rare cult stuff too, like The Wicker Man, Paths of Glory and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
    Of course, it didn't exactly have mainstream appeal, so they stopped it after the one I went to, but they're still a pretty cool (and cheap) cinema - here's their website, though nothing interesting planned.
    Get your local independent movie house to throw one of these bashes - there were certainly TV cameras and photographers during the one I went to, which is always great publicity and there are sponsorship opportunities with local bakeries, pizza houses, etc.
    I must admit my memory is pretty sketchy. I don't think I spent more than about 30 minutes outside the cinema walls - it was too scary to go outside by that stage... [​IMG]
    Did I mention I was 14 when I did this? My mother and father were surprised when I told them I was going, but they couldn't refund the ticket, so they just bought me lots of food (they knew I'd be fine since I was such good friends with a lot of the staff there). I still have all the ticket stubs and the necklace tag to prove it!
    [​IMG]

10. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I think one New Years, my family and I watched all three Godfathers and the first 3 Star Wars all in a row...

11. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

The most I've watched is 4 in a row at home.

And the most at a theater is 2. I can't sit in those theater seats for much longer than that before I start going insane.

12. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

In theaters: 2 (The Mummy followed by TPM)

At home: the magic number is 8.

13. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

Im not one to really stay up late, I believe my record is about 9 in one single day.

14. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    At home I've often watched 4 films in a row (usually at weekends), at the cinema back in the 70's I used to skip school and sometimes sit thru movie double bills twice in one day, I remember watching an Enter The Dragon + Dirty Harry double bill and than watching both films again in the same day, I looked more mature than I really was so I got into a lot of 18 certificate movies back than, and consequently lots of indecent/unsuitable fun was to be had for young Steve...[​IMG]
    SIGNATURE PHOTO OF TEENAGER WITH FALSE BEARD & RAINCOAT WALKING INTO CINEMA REMOVED.

15. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

The most I've watched in a row was 2... but I normally make it a point to stop at 1.

I'm one of those who really like to absorb a film after viewing it... I can't just "clean my mind" and watch another right away.

I guess I'm funny that way.

16. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

When Titanic came out, I sat through the entire movie.

Top that!

Jon

17. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph

The Star Wars trilogy.

18. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    The most films I've watched without stopping what?
    Oh, never mind. I thought you were asking about something else. [​IMG]
    The longest home marathon I've run is an entire season of X-Files.
    The longest theatrical marathon was all the Apes films back to back. I don't even remember how many there are anymore, because I've never been able to watch any of them except the first since. I just remember my parents dropping me off outside a theater in Mamoroneck on their way to a party in the Bronx sometime in the early afternoon, when there was already a line around the block. Then stumbling out of the then nearly empty theater sometime around one AM with Roddy McDowel's voice permanently burned into my brain. I think I fell asleep in the car and dreamt of Apes. [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Joe

19. David Ren

David Ren Stunt Coordinator

On 5/12/2000, I went to the multiplex at 10AM and saw all the movies there (7 of them). When I left, it was 1AM. The movies I saw were (in order in which I saw them): Battlefield Earth, Held Up, Center Stage, The Virgin Suicides, Screwed, Love and Basketball, I Dreamed of Africa

I slept during a half hour of I Dreamed of Africa (it was midnight, plus the movie sucked).

David

20. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Three films in one sitting is the most that I have ever done. I've done this many times, however.