The most expensive movie theater in the US

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Todorov, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

That's not so bad, though - I read it as $12 for all-day admission, which looks like as low as $3/film if you're interested in all of the day's screenings, for boutique selections, and you get a visit to the museum afterward, unless I'm reading it all wrong. The Boston MFA charges $9.50 for a single film and the admission is completely seperate from the galleries, as a comparison.
    I mean, sure, higher prices are no fun, but somehow it seems like $12 for up to four or five hard-to-find films is less of a rip-off than the $5.75 relatively unimpressive second-run theaters around here charge.

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

$12 for all-day? Damn I'd do it! Once a month go in and see like 3 movies!

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Um, Jeff, it's a museum film program. They change movies every day and often the films are pretty far off the mainstream, targeting very divergent audiences.

Not that there aren't dates on that schedule when I'd consider doing that, but most of the time it probably would be $12 for one film.

7. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

8. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

At ArcLight in LA, it's $14 on a weekend.

~T

9. Nick_Scott

Nick_Scott Second Unit

10. Scott L

Scott L Producer

So does Arclight show mainstream Hollywood cinema or the ritzy artsy stuff only well-to-do folk care to watch? [​IMG] I pay $5.50 for a student discounted ticket at my local AMC15 (SDDS theater). Buncha riff raff hang outside on the weekends so no artsy stuff here lol.

11. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

.50 matinee 2nd runs in Indy too.
    Sure we're in the sticks, but at least a hamburger only costs $1 or less. I go to Chicago and pay $25 to park, but I can park for $1 in d/town Indy. [​IMG]
    But then NY also has boutiques like this one and gets the very first releases of films.

12. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

The Arclight. Nice theater but I don't know if I would pay that much all the time.

13. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Wow! Now that's something we need in the DC area (minus the cost)! "Lawrence of Arabia - 40th Anniversary Release Presented in 70MM." Very cool..
    But still for $14 a ticket I'd reserve that place for the better movies. The Moulin Rogue's, Matrix 2's, Dude Where's My Car 3, etc...

14. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

15. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    Arclight is indeed amazing, it was only 11$ to see "Lawrence of Arabia" there in 70mm which I consider a bargain. It was easily the best theaterical film experience I've ever had. Unfortunately I won't be going there all the time, they only get about half the first run films, and err on the side or art films it seems, unfortunately they still don't have Punch Drunk Love (so I'm giving up and going to Graumann's if it's not there this weekend), and it doesn't look like they will get Harry Potter (which I would love to see there!). Despite the grandeur of the El Capitan I almost wish I'd paid the extra dollar and seen Spirited Away at Arclight. oh well. probably should see SA again, but money is tight and there are tons of good films coming out.
    If you keep reading about arclight you'll find the amazing AFI fest coming up in November (looks to be grand! and the gala premier of Antwone Fisher, fifty bucks a ticket though [​IMG] ), and the amazing quality of projection equipment they have. It's a pretty astounding theater, and well worth the price of admission for any above average film.
    SIGH! If only my Tuesday's were free, nothing would then keep me from missing the "Meet Me in St Louis" screening.
    Adam

16. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Well, we may not have cheap movies here. But with the Brattle, Coolidge (for 70mm, especially!), Kendall Square Landmark, and MFA, and (finally!) a few nice mainstream theaters (Boston Common, Fenway, Framingham AMC [with premium cinema, as well]) it's a pretty nice city to catch movies in.

Plus an Omnimax and IMAX. And the IMAX in the city does a really fantastic job (much better than the Science Museum Omni theater at taking care of their prints...)

17. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Bill,

I have to say that I honestly find Boston a mixed bag when it comes to movie-going. Yes, we have pretty decent theaters with a decent selection of movies, but I find the mainstream venues, Boston Common and Fenway, woefully miss the mark when compared to similar venues in New York. I'm more used to it now that I've lived in Boston for over 2 years, but it used to drive me crazy when I first moved here--especially the narrow seating and inconsistent projection and sound quality (it's mainly why I was driven to HT). That said, the premium cinema in Framingham is awesome, albeit at $17 a pop, and I do like the Kendall as well.

18. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Boston could be better, certainly, but it's one whole heck of a lot better than it was two years ago, when the Loews Nickelodeon (now abosrbed back into BU), Cheri (also closed) and Copley Place theaters were the main places.

19. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

20. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

The new movie theatre at the Grove shopping center in LA was $9.75. Nice theatre but nothing out of the ordinary besides just being new. I guess there is a premium theatre in Hollywood (down a bit from the Mann's Chinese Theatre) that is $17. It was my first time to LA so sorry if I have the locations or names wrong.

Sony at Lincoln Square in NYC was $9 when I lived there 5 years ago. I think at the time that was the highest priced theatre. Imax was $9.50. I'm sure they probably went up by now.