What's new

The Most Beloved Movies Of All-Time (2 Viewers)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
There are always lists of the greatest films of all-time. But I was wondering, what are the most beloved films of all-time? Here are my picks for the top-ten:

1. The Wizard of Oz
2. Gone With the Wind
4. Star Wars
5. Casablanca
6. It's A Wonderful Life
7. The Godfather
8. The Sound of Music
9. The Ten Commandments
10.Singin' in the Rain

What films do you think would make the list?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I think you nailed most of the really really big ones, that virtually everyone has heard of or at least seen one or two.

There are many cineastes on here that'll chime in with masterpieces like Lawrence of Arabia, but I don't think that film has penetrated all strata of society like many of these films have claimed to do. by the time I was ten I'd seen Sound of Music, Ten Commandments (seen dozens of times as I was semi-obsessed with it when I was eight or nine for some reason0, Wizard of Oz and Star Wars, and heard/kenw of all the others, I may even have seen my mom watching It's a wonderful LIfe but I probably avoided watching it since it was black and white (boring/slow which is how I thought of Gone With the Wind, one of my Mom's favorite movies.).

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
While I agree with most on that initial list, it's such a fuzzy thing, that it could easily be a completely different 10. My personal list would include some from both lists, but here's a different 10 off the top of my head that I think is just as valid:

E.T.
Snow White & the Seven Dwargs
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Maltese Falcon
North by Northwest
Beauty & the Beast
Mary Poppins
Ben-Hur
My Fair Lady
Breakfast at Tiffany's

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I'd remove Wizard of Oz (wasn't there a hate thread here a few years ago?) and replace it with The Shawshank Redemption or E.T.

~T

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The point of the thread is "the MOST beloved". I might not be clear, but I mean films that are loved by the most people. The Shawshank Redemption, while a great film, is hardly in the Top Ten. Most of the films I picked are ones that have stood the test of time, so the public's fondness has grown. Incidentally, I only included nine. I'm surprised nobody commented on that! I am correcting that.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Id definitely include ET and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and probably take out Singin In The Rain and The Godfather. Great films yes, but I wouldn't class them as beloved.

See the problem here is "beloved" in this sense sounds to me more like a film that the whole family from youngest to oldest like.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
SNow White
Bambi
Cinderella
Old Yeller
Lady and the Tramp

are all probably the most beloved of the Disney movies

E.T. is definitely a good candidate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks