What's new

The Moon May Have A Warm "Heart" (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Peter! Now, I'll have to merge this with my thread on the space effort! :)
Really, if the collision scenario is ever confirmed, just imagine what an awful day on Earth that must have been!

Ike

Screenwriter
They always say that about the ugly ones.
(Okay, back to your intellectual hub-bub. :D)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Thanks, Peter!
While I find this revelation exciting, I would personally prefer it if the Moon were solid throughout and geologically dead. Then there would be no quakes, no tidal distortion to muck with the precision of my Far Side Lunar Observatory which I plan to build as soon as I save up enough money.
Would anybody like to pitch in?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Laser beams are the only way to bounce light off the Moon because only they are concentrated enough to remain tightly focused during the round trip of roughly half a million miles.
I feel compelled to quibble here :) I'd rather say "directional" than "concentrated." Laser beams can be highly directional; they spread out very little over distance. They are also extremely bright (large energy for the spot size, compared to other light sources). This is useful since, as the article says, the reflected light is much reduced after the round trip. (But, "concentrated" is a pretty good way to express all that concisely.)
Mmm... squishy goodness in the moon....

Danny R

Supporting Actor
They are funky to look into because all you see is your own eye

The weird thing is that your eye is always right in the very center where the 3 mirrors join up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks