What's new

"The Monster Squad" coming to DVD in 2007? Yes, according to this guy (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The original poster artwork is used for the insert. The other side of the insert has a preface by Fred Dekker.

The 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer is clean, with a high degree of detail, vibrant color and fairly solid black levels. However, it is interlaced, ie. not a progressively-scanned transfer. This won't be noticeable on CRTs, LCDs and plamas, but will be on video projectors. When the amulet projects its prismatic beams of light, I would imagine that there will be pretty bad break-up in the image. I have a 42" plasma and seeing the film for the first time in 12 years and for the first time in 2.35:1 was a huge thrill.

I haven't checked out any of the extras yet, but I'll post my thoughts as and when.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Why do you say that it being interlaced won't be noticeable on LCD and other televisions? My heart sank when I put it in and saw all kinds of combing.
:-( Though changing the settings of my player can remove the combing, the transfer is still softer-than-expected. :-(

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
Also was anybody else copy missing the insert/booklet? Mine is missing and I'm wondering if I can contact Lionsgate to acquire one.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
This news of the encoding problem is a big let-down. I'm glad that my local shop sold out of all their copies yesterday before I had a chance to get one. I hope Lionsgate will respond to it in the appropriate manner. Does anyone know how they have dealt with authoring problems in the past (surely they've made errors before)?

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam

Yeah same here. This has happened to me before. Maybe it has to do with us living in Canada?

troy evans

Screenwriter
I had an insert in Mine but My friend didn't get one.I gave Him Mine since I don't care about the insert.It shouldn't matter where You live,but that Lionsgate needs to get Their shit together and do some quality control.As consumers We pay for everything that went into that dvd release so We should receive everything that is supposed to be included with It.As far as the video quality I'm not seeing the problem and I'm watching on a plasma 42"screen.I've waited so long for this, I'm just happy to finally have it in My collection.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Got it today and have already watched the film and one of the commentaries. :) I was saddened to learn that the boy who played Horace passed away in 1997 :frowning:, he had probably one of the most memorable lines in that entire decade..."The wolfman's got nards!"

The kid made his mark that's for sure.

BTW, the town square that the film's climax is set in is used on Desperate Housewives and i'm pretty certain Gilmore Girls as well.

Esten

Supporting Actor

There's gonna be very few complaints. Lion's Gate won't do anything. If you wait, all you'll be doing is missing out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks