What's new

"The Monster Squad" coming to DVD in 2007? Yes, according to this guy (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I originally read this at the horrordvds.com forum:

I checked out www.deadpit.com and the link to the interview with May Jr. is on the main page on the left side of the screen. I had to skip through maybe half the interview so I wouldn't have to listen to the guys with the heavy southern accent but it's there. May Jr. does not say who is releasing it (Paramount?) but he seems pretty certain that it is coming.

"Night of the Creeps" was brought up to him but he basically said it's in "limbo" and that the money men don't see any financial reasons to release it.

Now I'm not taking any of this seriously until said studio officially announces it but one can always hope right?

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I want to see this movie. I read reviews of it on both I-Mockery and Crown Combo and it seems really off-the-wall. I also saw the trailer on YouTube and it looked like there was a lot of action in the movie.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

But I think that's because Shane Black co-wrote it (He wrote "Lethal Weapon" that same year).

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
The other possibility is that since THE MONSTER SQUAD was acquired by Paramount from their Republic buyout, it could be getting released by Lionsgate, who reupped for that library after the new home video regime lost interest in handling those titles.

Not the most desirable scenario, but seeing as how Lionsgate did just reissue LIVE NUDE GIRLS in a 16x9 uncut version (as opposed to the fullscreen edited cut previously issued), there is a good chance that at least we will get a widescreen transfer.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
"Night of the Creeps" was HDNet Movies last week. So, a pretty good High-Def transfer exists for that movie, so there's some movement in the direction of a DVD. Although, the same could be said for "Legend of Billie Jean" which was on HDNet last summer and still no DVD.

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator
The existence of good source material means nothing to Lions Gate. Expect uneven flesh tones, dirt and other print damage on the transfer.

Haden

Supporting Actor
If it really is coming out in April/May, we SHOULD be seeing some kind of official announcement soon, right?

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
According to Dreadcentral.com's sources, the release will not be April or May. However, they did say an official announcement was due soon.

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
TonyD "most of the cast will be appearing at a monster movie con in
cherry hill nj next weekend 16-18.

maybe there will be some info on a dvd then."

I'll be there this Fri. and Sat. so I will be quite happy to hear any info. I promise to relay, if there is..

Also hope to hear anything about Night of the Creeps which is also being shown. It should be interesting to see what the format is that will be shown and if there is any plans to update that said format. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
nice, dont know if i'll go yet.
not into the horror/slasher stuff too much

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
At this point I dont really care what company releases it, as long as its not another false alarm.Madacy or Goodtimes could release it and id still buy it !

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm not concerned that Lionsgate is involved, as long as the film elements to which they have access are the same ones used for the HD broadcast. Although that broadcast was MAR 1.78:1, the print was very clean.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
Considering all of the early word regarding the release, it's really pointless to be complaining right now. It's quite obvious that Lionsgate involved the cast & crew, which is an easy task considering that the director and 3 main cast members are literally touring the film at various revival houses.

I would expect to see participation from Fred Dekker, Andre Gower (Sean), Ryan Lambert (Rudy), and Ashley Bank (Phoebe), all of whom still actively promote the film. I also seem to recall Dekker mentioning deleted footage somewhere recently, but I can't remember where and that's entirely dependent upon what material Lionsgate still has access to. With a 20th Anniversary Edition being touted and Don May seemingly content, I would imagine a commentary and featurette at least.

I just hope they tracked down some of the other cast & crew members, because I would like to hear from Shane Black, Duncan Regehr and Tom Noonan. If they can get the old Black & Dekker team back together on a commentary, maybe we'll even be lucky enough that they'll spill something about the film that was supposed to follow "The Monster Squad", "They Live", "Lethal Weapon" and "Red Heat"... the greatest horror film never made, "John Carpenter's Shadow Company".

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

It's only natural to worry if indeed Lions Gate is releasing this (I have yet to see an official press release from the company) considering their poor track record. Also, why is it "quite obvious" that Lions Gate involved the cast and crew? Considering there are absolutely no details about the supposed DVD and it's actual contents, I see no evidence to suggest cast/crew are involved at all right now.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

I won't buy if it's not OAR either. If you go back to my post, I was referring to the quality of the film elements, NOT the AR. I think we need to give Lionsgate a little breathing room here and see what they come out with; then we can pass judgment. After all, they did finally get Reservoir Dogs right.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

Again, I point to comments from industry professionals like Don May Jr. and Horror Hound. They seem quite excited about the release while knowing full well the dedication of the cast & crew to the film, so I don't even see a smigen of the worst case scenario you are implying. The only motivation for your negativity and cynicism seem based on the lack of immediate gratification in terms of an official release, in lieu of *your* disappointments of various titles from Lionsgate. I too have purchased Lionsgate releases and the quality simply varies. Obviously they held onto a lot of Artisan's poorer releasing patterns, but they still haven't been around that long. As yet, I have not been disappointed with their special editions.

And if the news regarding a major release of the film (when it hasn't been available for years) isn't enough evidence to your liking of a proper release (yet), there isn't any evidence that we should worry either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks