The monkey lands twice! Planet of the Apes ending questions.

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Charles J P, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Spoiler discussion of Planet of the Apes remake.

I know there have probably been a lot of threads discussing this movie, but rather than doing a search and looking through a couple hundred posts, I thought I would appeal to the fans of this movie that think it all makes sense to defend the movie.

A coworker of mine just saw this and thought the movie was a really good remake and liked it up until the last 10, 15, 20 minutes or whenever the "ending" starts that seemingly makes no sense. Its been so long since I've seen it that I couldn't really offer any help. One of his main beefs was that Pericles, the ape that had been trained by the space exploration team and at the beginning, goes through the time warp storm before mark wahlberg, also lands at the very end of the movie, leading the Ape population to believe it is the second coming. Or at least this was his interpretation, as well as my recollection. So how the hell does the monkey land twice?!

That's the first question. The rest would basically be, if you are a fan of the movie, what is your explanation for what the plant is that Wahlberg lands on AFTER he leave PotA? Is it earth, etc. I know there are multiple interpretations, but give me yours.

In other words, explain the entire last 20 minutes of the film focusing on how Pericles lands twice, several hundred or thousand years apart, and where Wahlberg ends up at the very end and why.

Thanks,

2. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

" the "ending" starts that seemingly makes no sense"

You said it. It doesnt make any sense and when asked to shed some light on it, Burton refused to.

Its ambiguous only for the sake of being so.

3. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Well, Jon, that's one vote for my coworkers position then. We'll see if anyone else has an explanation.

4. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

The time warp buffer cloud thing worked on a first-in, last-out principle. Since Pericles went in first, he came out last. Marky Mark went in second and came out days before the chimp. Finally, the space station went in several days later and came out thousands of years earlier. The time displacement was amplified, so that gives you the time structure that you need for the arrivals on the planet. In my understanding, this was the first time Pericles had landed on the planet. There were other trained chimps on the space station before it passed through the warp and crashed on the planet. Once on the planet and free of their cages they rose up in revolution, conquered their human overlords, and then produced offspring and a chimp/ape/baboon/orangutan civilization. The leader of this revolution was a chimp that (as chimpist as this may sound) looked just like Pericles. They may have been intelligent enough to figure out the space cloud thing and prophecize the eventual arrival of Pericles, hence the misinterpretation of it as a second coming.

So at the end Marky Mark hops in the spaceship to go home. Somehow, we are shown that his passage through the time warp cloud thingy returns him to roughly the same time that he entered it before (isn't that convenient!). He lands on Earth to see that Tim Roth has conquered the planet at some unknown time in the past. We are left to presume that Tim Roth found and repaired the spacechip that was under the water, learned to fly it, entered the cloud thingy, and was propelled backward in time far enough so that he could conquer Earth. I know, pretty fishy.

So it's understanding the nature of the cloud thing that allows you to concoct this goofy explanation. That still doesn't explain where the damn horses came from, but it does clarify your misunderstanding.

The original is about 100 times better, IMO.

Brad

5. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Thanks Brad, I knew at the time I watched it (and in fact, researched it after the fact) that I was fairly comfortable that the ending made SOME sense. When my coworker brought up the monkey landing twice, I was at a loss. It turns out he was just wrong. The civilization was started by all the OTHER monkeys (chimps in fact) on the space station. The VERY ending is still a bit too much as you really have to work to believe that the monkeys (or a monkey) beat Mark Wahlberg back to earth, but at least you cleared up that the monkey does NOT land twice.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

But, for some good times, the past threads were fun and lively:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&threadid=5655

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=27853

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=36474

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&threadid=5754

My theory (reposted by Dana in one of the thread because the original thread doesn't exist anymore):

Meaning, Leo (a human) was used by the dominant race of apes as a "test chimp" and sent into space, in an alternate world where apes ruled the earth.

I don't intend on revisiting the film to satisfy someone else's curiousity (plus, most of the points are hashed out to ad nauseum in the other past threads on this topic).

7. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

Actually, I think he ended up in an alternate universe at the end of the movie. Who says it all has to be one universe?