What's new

The Monkees TV Series & 33⅓ Revolutions per Monkee + "Head" (1968) movie, coming to Blu (1 Viewer)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
No... Rhino has somewhat of a history of never re-releasing stuff. Even to do a standard release of a former "limited edition" release. If it happens at all it'll likely come from WHV or WA.
I don't know how that all works. Andrew did say when the set was first announced that there would be a "general release" set later without the extras, but that was six years ago and the physical media landscape hasn't improved since then.

I know Warner owns Rhino but I don't know if WHV or Warner Archive would take this -- but it makes sense to me.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I don't know how that all works. Andrew did say when the set was first announced that there would be a "general release" set later without the extras, but that was six years ago and the physical media landscape hasn't improved since then.

I know Warner owns Rhino but I don't know if WHV or Warner Archive would take this -- but it makes sense to me.
Interesting. I'm kind of holding onto hope that this last "found" batch of the "limited edition" sets sold quickly enough to make them consider a general release version in the near future. It sure seemed to me to sell out very fast - but I also don't know just how many copies they had when it became available again and that could factor into things.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Hi Ron!

I believe that the alternate soundtracks for the Saturday morning repeats and early syndication runs have been the single most requested Monkees related perk dating way back to the early 00's, at least. I'm blown away that this is finally being done!

Man, I'd love to get the collector's edition with ALL of the bonus content, but especially with our current crappy rate of exchange on top of shipping and taxes, its just so 'far out' of my price limit, it's not even funny! Nevertheless, it is great news that there will eventually be a non limited edition set for those of us whose pockets are lesser of depth! The show itself is the main thing when it comes right down to it, anyway!

CHEERS! :)

Tony
The second half of this post from the fall of 2015 hasn't aged well, at all!! 🙃

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Interesting. I'm kind of holding onto hope that this last "found" batch of the "limited edition" sets sold quickly enough to make them consider a general release version in the near future. It sure seemed to me to sell out very fast - but I also don't know just how many copies they had when it became available again and that could factor into things.

Here's the thing, we know a bunch of unassembled materials were lost or misplaced in a warehouse move, but we don't know if that has anything to do with the sets that were found prior to Micky's tour. The way Andrew described it, he had approached Rhino for older tour merchandise including old programs, T-shirts etc., and the Blu-Ray sets (which were previously sold on tour) were among them.

So who knows? Yes, it's a limited edition and was promoted as such, and they said more will not be made. But is all stock accounted for, that is the question.

I remember when the Headquarters Sessions and Summer 1967 sets came out, someone (a fan) set up a website where you could "register" which limited edition number you got and they kept a list. It was just for fun, but something like that could maybe answer some of these questions, and maybe suggest how likely it might be for more sets to still be unsold.

Albert71292

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Sims
Finally going through my Blu-ray set. Noticed the "bonus censored" scene on the set was from a really worn copy of the episode "Too Many Girls", where they blurred out most of Kelly Jean Peters body in a scene where she was in a bikini, with a navel covering. Wondering why Rhino, which owns all Monkees TV and recordings now, would use a worn/splicy version of the censored version as a bonus feature, when they obviously had a better version used on the previous DVDs, also released by Rhino in those "record player" box sets.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Wondering [...]
Are you saying that they had this deleted (censored) scene on the box sets in good condition? Otherwise, wouldn't it just be from footage that was excised from the episode, like an outtake and not expected to be in good condition?

Albert71292

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Sims
Are you saying that they had this deleted (censored) scene on the box sets in good condition? Otherwise, wouldn't it just be from footage that was excised from the episode, like an outtake and not expected to be in good condition?
The "censored" scene was the same as the version in the actual episode on the DVD set, just in worse shape. The restored episode was minus the blurring.

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
Finally going through my Blu-ray set. Noticed the "bonus censored" scene on the set was from a really worn copy of the episode "Too Many Girls", where they blurred out most of Kelly Jean Peters body in a scene where she was in a bikini, with a navel covering. Wondering why Rhino, which owns all Monkees TV and recordings now, would use a worn/splicy version of the censored version as a bonus feature, when they obviously had a better version used on the previous DVDs, also released by Rhino in those "record player" box sets.

The censored scene was a hi-def transfer that came from Mr. Sandoval's own copy, as were the rerun/replacement song versions if memory serves at all. Even with the splices and faded (kinda corrected but kinda magenta/green-y) color, there is more detail in the Bluray clip than what could be harvested from the old dvd. Pretty sure Mr. Sandoval personally funded the transfers of his films during the legal clearance and found footage delays, as well, just to make sure the bonus content could be included.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It's available again... for now...

I caved and ordered a copy... guess it'll now get a regular release for half that cost... at least that's what usually happens once I've purchased a limited/special edition of something...

What hurt most is they even charged for shipping... you'd think at that price it'd be free.

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
I agree about free shipping.I doubt tho it will ever be discounted.I bought the set earlier this year.I think a more reasonable price in 100 dollars for it. I am happy with it tho its great.I just checked current princes on ebay for the boxed set.
lowest price is 349 plus shipping.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It's from Rhino - no, it will likely never be discounted. And I fully agree that it's very overpriced - but, again, it's from Rhino who always places a very high value on anything they release. I gave up holding out for Rhino music releases to drop in price years ago as they rarely go on sale and frequently go OOP quickly to never resurface in the same form (putting highly desired bonus tracks into release limbo).

I purchased a copy as I love the series and re-watch my DVDs, which were also somewhat overpriced (I have the "Record Box" releases - horrible but neat packaging), fairly regularly. Considering how media's priced these days, $100 would be a fair price, though, IMHO, still on the high side of fair but not out-of-line. $200 feels like I'm being gouged. That's ~$4/episode - the high side of what I'd pay for hour length episodes of a highly desired series (basically in the new release Star Trek series range). Even Batman was less expensive on an episode basis when it finally came out (and is now at "bargain level" pricing).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Not bad, but points out just how right they were with mix on the release version.

I likely have that version in my collection - just because - but like all remixes I rarely listen to those tracks, typically vastly preferring the versions on the 45s/33s.

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
I disagree,I believe thats a previous vocal take so its not perfected by Micky.But the mix is much clearer the stereo more open,and its fun to hear other takes.So I like both versions:))

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I disagree,I believe thats a previous vocal take so its not perfected by Micky.But the mix is much clearer the stereo more open,and its fun to hear other takes.So I like both versions:))
I generally like hearing alternate takes of classic songs, and so long as the originals remain available, I have no real issue, either way. You do also make a good point about it being a previous not perfected vocal take by Micky. Aside from that, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
Mike Nesmith praised Mickys singing and said he was a huge factor for the Monkees early success.Ofc having very good songs to record helps.Last Train to Clarksville also has a great vocal.And catchy guitar riff.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Mike Nesmith praised Mickys singing and said he was a huge factor for the Monkees early success.Ofc having very good songs to record helps.Last Train to Clarksville also has a great vocal.And catchy guitar riff.
Micky's singing was, and is fantastic!! He's no slouch as a drummer, either!

Alternate versions are great to have available in large part as a means to be able to hear the building blocks under construction that ultimate led to the classics we and so many others love!

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
Exactly,Mike as u know wrote 'The Girl I knew Somewhere' and recorded it but his vocal was not as good as Mickys which was the released version.I love the harpsichord on that song played by Peter.,

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I caved and ordered a copy...

Enjoy Howie!

I, too, have those "Record Box" releases, too. I went for the Blu-Ray set earlier this year. I enjoyed revisiting all the episodes, they look so good. I enjoyed the new commentaries that were not on the Record Box set. I really enjoyed listening to the commentary on the film Head. It made me appreciate the film all the more. I also loved the disc of special features. I did not watch them all at once, but spread them out intermittently.

I think The Monkees releases have always been expensive because of the music rights.

Another thing I liked--you know how whenever you put one of the Record Box discs into your player The Monkees theme music plays. I don't think any TV releases should ever put the series theme on the menus. We can hear it on every episode. There is NO sound of any kind on The Monkees Blu-Ray menu. The silence is golden!

If I were you I'd first watch the Christmas episode! I have memories of watching that episode the first night it aired, Monday, December 25, 1967! My sister bought me an Official Monkees Shirt as a present. It was olive green. I still have it, along with the cardboard Monkees tags that were affixed to it when new. (Wish I could wear it now, though!) When I was watching the series again earlier this year I kept looking for a scene when they wore that color Monkees shirt. They never did wear that color! They wore the red ones, gold, blue, dark blue, black, orange...there may have been a tan/beige color, too, but never that olive green color. I just did a picture search on Google and did not find them wearing that color in any photos. Curious!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks