What's new

The Monkees TV Series & 33⅓ Revolutions per Monkee + "Head" (1968) movie, coming to Blu (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Currently works out to just under $5.00 per title (58 episodes, the movie and the special for 60 titles, right?) in Canadian funds (including shipping.) Getting more tempted.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Sooooo, I sold some discs and got a little bonus money so I broke down and ordered this set. It arrived last week, and I have to admit, it's pretty! The updated packaging looks fine. It's a little tricky to get the discs out they way they are held in the box so as not to cause damage, but it's nothing to worry about since everything is so sturdy. Haven't had time to sit with the set and watch it much, I'll be lucky to squeeze in an episode a week at my rate. I did pop in the first disc to check out the quality and it can be summed up as "Gobsmacking". the colour is gorgeous on the first disc episode I skipped around on. Only complaint is there doesn't seem to be a proper list of features for the discs as far as what commentaries or alternate soundtracks can be found where. If anyone is interested in anything specific I'd be happy to have a look.

It's pricey, especially in Canada, but I'm pleased!

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'm almost through season 1 and the picture is indeed gorgeous. I checked out the Rhino/Eagle Media DVDs that I have and there is no comparison. The Blu-rays are beautiful. The episodes seem to be complete and uncut as they originally aired. Minus the commercial bumpers of course. The episodes on these discs are not the censored Saturday Morning versions.

The only real bummer is that Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On is missing from the 33 1/3 Monkees Per Revolution special. It was included in the Rhino/Eagle Media release on the 2nd season set. Blasted music licensing issues again. At least this is noted in the book included with the set so we are told up front.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Is there any word as to whether there might be a stripped down sans Bonus Disc edition coming anytime soon? :unsure:

That's too bad about the "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" portion of the 33 1/3 REVOLUTIONS PER MONKEE (1968) special being excised due to music rights issues, especially considering the PQ for the complete version on the Rhino DVD edition is abysmal! What a shame, not to mention a blow to mass preservation!

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've recently resumed viewing THE MONKEES Season 1 DVD set, having given up the ghost on there ever being a more affordable unlimited Blu-ray release in the offing! A quick check online just a few minutes ago didn't reveal anything new, other than a $999 USD price point for the limited edtion Blu-ray set on Amazon! :rolleyes:

Ah well, at least I have both seasons on DVD! However, I have to play them through my Acer PC Laptop, as all of the screens go pixelated when I play them on our Samsung Blu-ray player for some unknown reason.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've recently resumed viewing THE MONKEES Season 1 DVD set, having given up the ghost on there ever being a more affordable unlimited Blu-ray release in the offing! A quick check online just a few minutes ago didn't reveal anything new, other than a $999 USD price point for the limited edtion Blu-ray set on Amazon! :rolleyes:

Ah well, at least I have both seasons on DVD! However, I have to play them through my Acer PC Laptop, as all of the screens go pixelated when I play them on our Samsung Blu-ray player for some unknown reason.

It just went OOP this year, in the wake of Peter Tork's death.

So give it some time. If a bare bones release is coming, it'll likely be next year at the earliest.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I should have held on longer to my extra copy. Based on ebay pricing I sold it for $300 cdn. Basically got my money back.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I believe I was the canary that found out this was OOP.

I finally decided to pick it up this past March, and a comedy of errors meant all the official sources were out, and I missed quite a few ebay chances to get it for a decent price.

By the time reality set in, it was already over $600 on ebay, and it's just not worth that. I'll either wait for a wide release, or stick with the DVDs. But there's obviously still interest in it, so WB would be kinda stupid not to do a wide release, if only to online retailers.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The DVDs are not going to cut it anymore. The transfers are just so faded and worn. I can live without the non-disc tchotchkes just to get all the actual disc content.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The DVDs are not going to cut it anymore. The transfers are just so faded and worn. I can live without the non-disc tchotchkes just to get all the actual disc content.
I actually find the PQ on the DVDs OK, for the most part, but then I'm viewing the Episodes on a 32 Inch 720p Screen! For me, the translucent line (From over-scanning, perhaps?) on the left side of the screen, is the biggest annoyance. An example of this can be seen in the image, below.

From "The Audition" (Find The Monkees) (1/23/67):
vlcsnap-2019-11-09-20h27m02s721.png

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I actually find the PQ on the DVDs OK, for the most part, but then I'm viewing the Episodes on a 32 Inch 720p Screen! For me, the translucent line (From over-scanning, perhaps?) on the left side of the screen, is the biggest annoyance. An example of this can be seen in the image, below.

From "The Audition" (Find The Monkees) (1/23/67):
View attachment 64941

I tried to find the same frame for a screen grab from the blu ray set. There isn't any damage on the left side of the frame that I can see.
vlcsnap-2019-11-10-18h00m17s251.png

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
That's not damage. It looks like over scan from a video tape source. I don't recall seeing that on my DVD sets but it *has* been several years since I last watched The Monkees so...
Every episode of THE MONKEES that I've viewed recently has this, to some degree. Yet, I haven't spotted any other visual video tape anomalies, such as drop offs. Weird.

On my Season 2 DVD set of THE MUNSTERS, I did notice this over scan on the MUNSTER, GO HOME! (1966) theatrical release, which otherwise appears to be in it's proper Aspect Ratio.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
As an aside, just the other day, I noticed that THE MONKEES was airing on CHCH TV, Hamilton. I set up the PVR to record what are the final two series episodes (THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY begins airing in its 1:30PM weekday time slot, next week.). Upon briefly checking the penultimate "The Monkees Blow Their Minds" episode this morning, I saw that the image had been cropped (Rather badly, to my eyes!) to 16x9, and to make matters worse, the image didn't even look like HD to me, either! I do suspect that may be because CHCH still doesn't broadcast in true HD.

Some things are definitely worse than DVD quality! :P

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Yeah, I slept on the Blu-ray release too, thinking that it would eventually come down in price. A bare bones BD release would be a first day purchase for me!
I did the same hoping a price drop on Monkees.com would occur. Now I’ve put my email in for a “restocking” update if one ever occurs.
Slightly encouraged by the fact that NO sellout of all 10000 copies was announced. And if the site is accepting email addresses for future notification, then just maybe they didn’t sell the entire 10000 copy lot out yet.

Of course if I’m wrong, then hope someone on eBay is feeling generous.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I did the same hoping a price drop on Monkees.com would occur. Now I’ve put my email in for a “restocking” update if one ever occurs.
Slightly encouraged by the fact that NO sellout of all 10000 copies was announced. And if the site is accepting email addresses for future notification, then just maybe they didn’t sell the entire 10000 copy lot out yet.

Of course if I’m wrong, then hope someone on eBay is feeling generous.

Yeah, but it will be a year next month since the set went out of stock.

So unless those remaining copies are making their way to Rhino's distribution center via snail, I think the set is gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks