What's new

The Monkees TV Series & 33⅓ Revolutions per Monkee + "Head" (1968) movie, coming to Blu (1 Viewer)

John Houston

Agent
Real Name
John
Well, just watched the first two episodes. I haven't seen these since 1966. And I probably saw them in black and white back them. WOW. Incredible Picture. So happy these were shot on film. The opticals (dissolves, special effects) are a bit soft which is normal but great restoration all away around.

Back in the days when they didn't diffuse and soft-filter anything the way they do now. Plus, you're seeing it 100x better than the original audience did with their old cathode-ray tubed NTSC TV's.

moviefanatic1979

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Even
Hi!

I've, finallly, received the box set today.
To get it to Norway I had to pay USD 225.47 (=NOK 1934,33)
+ customs and norwegian mva at NOK 621
That brings the total to NOK 2555,33!

A very expensive set!
It may be overpriced, but we get a lot of film + music & in a very high quality. (At least it looks like it, I haven't watched any of the discs yet).

We'll see if I'm glad to own it.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
I hope you will, I love it. It's a major restoration effort IMHO and would love to know the specifics of the restoration effort. So far I've watched 9 episode in chronological order, the first time I'm watching them since the 60s on black and white TV. Very nostalgic and great fun. So happy these were filmed and not taped.

Last edited:

moviefanatic1979

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Even
So far I'm glad I own this set.
The TV series' PQ is marvellous & the SQ is great!

The cardboard on the inside had long tears in 3 corners.
Apart from that it is perfect!
No discs are missing. (That's nice, since I live in Norway :)

The number of my set is #10026

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Didn't I read somewhere (probably on the HTF) that there was one episode in the series that was missing its tag scene? I think it was missing on Columbia House VHS and on DVD and TV versions. Does anyone remember this, and has the episode been restored on the Blu-ray?

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Didn't I read somewhere (probably on the HTF) that there was one episode in the series that was missing its tag scene? I think it was missing on Columbia House VHS and on DVD and TV versions. Does anyone remember this, and has the episode been restored on the Blu-ray?

There was one episode where that was talked about, but nothing definitive about a tag scene having been in the episode in the first place. They all seem pretty much the same length, so it could be nothing is really missing.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well look on the bright side. At least America Lost and Found is still in print.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The sad part of this is that after the long delay in getting this set issued, early reports of the PQ and SQ were quite glowing; and now it's been pulled due to failed packaging - UGH! :P

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
This limited edition set seems cursed. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if every time you select an episode, instead all you get is The New Monkees.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
This limited edition set seems cursed. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if every time you select an episode, instead all you get is The New Monkees.
Either that, or that inserted brief clip of a Lizard that kept popping up in the 1997 Monkees reunion special as a running gag. ;)

On a much more serious note, while I don't doubt that a ton of effort was put into this set, what a shame the ball got dropped with the packaging! While this is hardly a new problem with deluxe sets, I think this is very bad for a long awaited limited edition release that had already been beset by repeated delays, and has a very hefty price tag ($199 U.S.), that even fewer consumers may now want to pay for than previous!

I'm just spit-balling here, but perhaps going to a streamlined set with simple but durable packaging might be the way to go as a "cutting our losses" measure? Hopefully, whatever financial losses are bound to be sustained won't prevent subsequent streamlined "unlimited edition" releases in any case, but I guess time will tell regarding this!

CHEERS! :)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Either that, or that inserted brief clip of a Lizard that kept popping up in the 1997 Monkees reunion special as a running gag. ;)

On a much more serious note, while I don't doubt that a ton of effort was put into this set, what a shame the ball got dropped with the packaging! While this is hardly a new problem with deluxe sets, I think this is very bad for a long awaited limited edition release that had already been beset by repeated delays, and has a very hefty price tag ($199 U.S.), that even fewer consumers may now want to pay for than previous!

I'm just spit-balling here, but perhaps going to a streamlined set with simple but durable packaging might be the way to go as a "cutting our losses" measure? Hopefully, whatever financial losses are bound to be sustained won't prevent subsequent streamlined "unlimited edition" releases in any case, but I guess time will tell regarding this!

I don't know about "durable" but the Rhino set packaging left something to be desired ...
the-monkees-dvd-seasons-one-and-two-1-2-rhino-retro-vision-e8d3e816fee8e488a303e78b4d23aa34.jpg

Definitely NOT American Tourister ;)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
While the negatives of home video packaging aren't an aspect that I like to dwell on or carp about, sadly, one commonality regarding THE MONKEES post VHS series releases seems to have been the problematic packaging! Even the 2011 DVD reissues fall short in failing to include an outside protective covering for the fold open cardboard season sets. In my opinion, having to use rubber bands to prevent these from flying open is not acceptable, but so it goes!

Hopefully, the issues with the Blu-ray Limited Edition packaging can be properly dealt with?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I doubt the problem is as much the packaging as it is the shipping packaging. Simply using a heavier card stock (similar to what Arrow use on their boxsets) will solve the problem. It's hardly a cursed release. Two release date pushes that only amounted to not even 6 months and now this isn't really a disaster on such a set. As far as using a cheaper card stock for the packaging, you can't really blame them with the amount of bitching over the price they already had. They obviously hoped to cut some corners anyway they could without losing content.

Unless their are reports about the transfers being botched. I don't recall any, but I'm not following a bunch of sites to find out either.

I'm still hoping for our Canadian dollar to get better to justify the purchase.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I doubt the problem is as much the packaging as it is the shipping packaging. Simply using a heavier card stock (similar to what Arrow use on their boxsets) will solve the problem. It's hardly a cursed release. Two release date pushes that only amounted to not even 6 months and now this isn't really a disaster on such a set. As far as using a cheaper card stock for the packaging, you can't really blame them with the amount of bitching over the price they already had. They obviously hoped to cut some corners anyway they could without losing content.

Unless their are reports about the transfers being botched. I don't recall any, but I'm not following a bunch of sites to find out either.

I'm still hoping for our Canadian dollar to get better to justify the purchase.
Hi Russell!

You do raise some valid points relating to the packaging, although if the packaging used for the shipping is the main issue, then in my opinion, this does remain an issue from the corporate end, so to speak.

Insofar as the transfers, I've only seen glowingly positive, albeit limited feedback regarding that.

As for our lousy Canadian / U.S. exchange rate bettering somewhat in our favor, perhaps after the U.S. Presidential Election in November? :P

Frankly, I'd be happy to be back above 90 cents U.S, but I have serious doubts that we'll reach that anytime soon, as I fear our 8 (or so!) year period of enjoying a $.90 / $1.10 exchange rate may well have been a lengthy anomaly, with the last 2 years largely a correction, if that makes any sense! I'd rather it didn't! :P

But we can always hope!

Tony

moviefanatic1979

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Even
One episode I particularly enjoyed was Monkees in the Ring (1967).

I've just read a little about the movie The Kid From Brooklyn (1946) and I thought that this episode must've been inspired by that movie.

The movie was based on a Harold Lloyd movie: The Milky Way (1936) which was based upon a play from 1934.

Am I right?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
One episode I particularly enjoyed was Monkees in the Ring (1967).

I've just read a little about the movie The Kid From Brooklyn (1946) and I thought that this episode must've been inspired by that movie.

The movie was based on a Harold Lloyd movie: The Milky Way (1936) which was based upon a play from 1934.

Am I right?
That is definitely correct regarding THE KID FROM BROOKLYN (1946) having been based on THE MILKY WAY (1936), which I believe was indeed, based on a play. The 1936 Harold Lloyd version is generally considered to be the superior one, although many also like the1946 Danny Kaye version.

I'm thinking MONKEES IN THE RING (1967) in turn, inspired the Boxing scene from HEAD (1968).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks