What's new

The Monkees TV Series & 33⅓ Revolutions per Monkee + "Head" (1968) movie, coming to Blu (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
While it's nice that they're trying to add more promo and performance footage from the 60s, I'd be happier if they could find some way to work out a deal to include the mid-90s ABC special as an extra. It was designed to be like a new episode of the series, and incorporated ABC-friendly versions of songs from the then-new "Justus" album. I taped it at the time, but that particular VHS tape died quite a while ago.
I've always enjoyed that special that I believe originally aired in the winter of '97! While I still have my recording (Which I eventually transferred to DVD-R), it would be nice to see an HD version included on the Blu-ray set, as I think it would make a nice bookend with the original pilot, with which it does share some of the story-line elements!

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
they're going to have to push back the price before this Canadian can afford it. Or our dollar has to get better. (I don't see either happening anytime soon :( )
You're preaching to the choir, regarding all of the above! :(

I wonder whether the holdup now, might be due in part to not enough pre-orders having yet been placed as $199 is an extremely high price point, exchange rate, or no?

In other Forum Topics, there are countless postings about video companies struggling to sell a few thousand units of individual titles, with price points far far below for what THE MONKEES Blu-ray set is priced at!

While I'm sure there are a lot of fans of THE MONKEES TV Series out there, I'll wager that most of them don't have a spare $200 for a single 2 season set (Especially with only 58 Episodes!), no matter how fantastic the extra goodies may be!

In my opinion, the Limited Collector's Edition set should have had a much lower number of units (10,000 is, in my opinion way too high a number, at the $200 price point, at least!) for the hardcore fans who can actually afford it (And be willing to pay for the many goodies!), AND a larger run for a serviceable stripped down version (IE. All 58 Episodes, with some of the disc based bonus content, but no other frills!), that won't break the bank for the more casual fans/less well to do folk!

Warner/Fox did get it right with the BATMAN '66 Season/Series sets in this respect, in offering many options for fans to choose from!

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I hope other stores will sell this and to see a price reduction from $200.
According to the Monkees.com website, it's exclusive to them, and limited to 10,000 copies.

I think the best that those of us of narrower wallets can hope for is an additional streamlined version which, going by the website's wording, WON'T include the 10th Bonus Blu-ray with such goodies as the 35 mm versions of the original commercials (Of which the crappy looking 16mm versions of appear on the DVD sets!) and Black & White screen tests. I'm especially bummed out over not being able to upgrade the commercials, which actually look better on the VHS version--OUCH!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The way I see it, there's good news, and potentially bad news (For Canadian Customers!), regarding this set's upcoming release:

- The good news is the July 8 release date for this set appears to be holding up with just 3 days left!
http://monkeesstore.warnermusic.com/the-monkees-complete-tv-series-blu-ray.html

- The bad news is, unfortunately for Canadian Customers, July 8 also represents the earliest date our lovely Canada Post Corporation may lock out all of our postal workers, which may or may not cause disruption in the delivery of this set, depending on whether Canada Post is/was to be the delivery method of choice?

While I'm not in for this set (Although I wish I were!), I do hope everyone who has preordered THE MONKEES - COMPLETE TV SERIES BLU-RAY set receives it in a timely fashion! It's certainly been a long enough wait, what with the seemingly endless release date postponements!

Here they come....Hopefully! ;)

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
Mine did as well. Haven't seen this show in a long, long time (the early 70s) so I'm looking forward to seeing it again - especially on blu-ray!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
- The bad news is, unfortunately for Canadian Customers, July 8 also represents the earliest date our lovely Canada Post Corporation may lock out all of our postal workers, which may or may not cause disruption in the delivery of this set, depending on whether Canada Post is/was to be the delivery method of choice?

I just read that Canada Post and the Postal Workers Union have agreed to a 30 day extension in which to negotiate a new contract. Thus, Canadian Customers should receive "The Monkees" Blu-ray set without any extra hitches! :)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I just read that Canada Post and the Postal Workers Union have agreed to a 30 day extension in which to negotiate a new contract. Thus, Canadian Customers should receive "The Monkees" Blu-ray set without any extra hitches! :)

Hopefully they've have the correct postage ;)
16507472-RWANDA-CIRCA-2003-stamp-printed-in-Rwanda-shows-the-Monkees-american-pop-rock-group-popular-in-1960t-Stock-Photo.jpg

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Got mine yesterday!
There you have it, the first HTF poster to announce having received "The Monkees TV Series & 33⅓ Revolutions per Monkee + "Head" (1968) movie" Blu-ray set!

With people now actually receiving these collector's sets, reviews shouldn't be too far behind! :)

If only I had $300 Canadian to spare! Ah, well! :rolleyes:

John Houston

Agent
Real Name
John
Watch out for this limited Blu-ray set!

Main details from monkees.com:

• All 58 episodes, newly remastered in stunning HD from the original negatives for the very first time, plus the 1969 TV Special “33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee”
• Bonus material featuring commentaries from all four Monkees, original Kellogg’s Monkees commercials, and more
• The 1968 Monkees film “HEAD” in HD with never-before-seen outtakes
• Unique packaging including a 7” of two previously unreleased TV mixes
• Strictly limited to 10,000 individually numbered sets
• Only available at Monkees.com

"Head" was truly one weird movie. Not only that, but it's very well-done and entertaining. Kind of like one of those things where you are flipping TV channels, come upon it, think you should turn the channel but you keep watching anyway.

I've pre-ordered mine.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Well, just watched the first two episodes. I haven't seen these since 1966. And I probably saw them in black and white back them. WOW. Incredible Picture. So happy these were shot on film. The opticals (dissolves, special effects) are a bit soft which is normal but great restoration all away around.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks