What's new

The Monkees TV Series & 33⅓ Revolutions per Monkee + "Head" (1968) movie, coming to Blu (1 Viewer)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
davidmatychuk said:
It looks like the main attraction of the Blu-Ray set will be the quality of the restoration, but the other little improvements, additions, and alterations (if any) will be the true indication of the value of this Monkees box. Do they mean to offer the definitive TV series package, or is this just one more kick at the can? Expert opinions will be the key, I think.
The end result remains to be seen, but based on a couple posts Andrew Sandoval made on Facebook, they are doing new transfers from the original 35mm negatives for the first time ever -- according to Andrew, the previous DVD sets used the same masters as the VHS box from the 1990s (although there were a few discrepancies like an episode or two with Kellogg's cereal boxes in the closing credits of one version but not the other). It also sounds like he's financing this out of his own pocket, just so it gets done. He did mention they are still looking for things like commercials the Monkees did, from film sources (as opposed to video dubs). So anyone out there who has anything, they are looking. It sounds like he wants to use the redubbed songs from the summer 1967 and 1969-70 Saturday morning reruns as alternate audio tracks as well, again depending on what they can get their hands on.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Mark Y said:
The end result remains to be seen, but based on a couple posts Andrew Sandoval made on Facebook, they are doing new transfers from the original 35mm negatives for the first time ever -- according to Andrew, the previous DVD sets used the same masters as the VHS box from the 1990s (although there were a few discrepancies like an episode or two with Kellogg's cereal boxes in the closing credits of one version but not the other). It also sounds like he's financing this out of his own pocket, just so it gets done. He did mention they are still looking for things like commercials the Monkees did, from film sources (as opposed to video dubs). So anyone out there who has anything, they are looking. It sounds like he wants to use the redubbed songs from the summer 1967 and 1969-70 Saturday morning reruns as alternate audio tracks as well, again depending on what they can get their hands on.
Hi Mark!

That's a rather massive undertaking! I don't get the feeling this will be out anytime too soon.

By the way, do you know whether Andrew Sandoval has a better source Video/Film Print to work with for 33 1/3 REVOLUTIONS PER MONKEE, as the version on the Season 2 DVD Set is rather awful, visually?

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Mark Y

Screenwriter
33 1/3 was shot on video, and as far as I know there are two versions available, one in "broadcast order" (where a couple segments were switched and aired in the wrong sequence) and the other as it was intended to be shown. Neither is first generation. One has better picture and the other has better sound. No HD here.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Mark Y said:
33 1/3 was shot on video, and as far as I know there are two versions available, one in "broadcast order" (where a couple segments were switched and aired in the wrong sequence) and the other as it was intended to be shown. Neither is first generation. One has better picture and the other has better sound. No HD here.
Hi Mark!

It appears that what I suggested in another Monkees related Topic regarding marrying the better visual source with the best audio would indeed apply, keeping in mind the need to carefully make readjustments according to the differing order of sequence!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
moviebuff75 said:
I would like to see the original screen Gems logo back.
Hi Eric!

So would I, actually! Though I only recall viewing THE MONKEES in syndication, I do recall the old Screen Gems Logo that appeared at the end of each Episode! THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY had it. also.

Tony

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Mark Y said:

I've got an ok dub of a B&W kinescope of the unaired version I turned up 26 years ago (on BETA!) - wonder if Screen Gems...er Sony still has a 16mm negative on that - would make a nice extra.

Sure it's B&W, and a kinescope, but it's the novelty of the thing.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Well, that's odd. I just wonder if something was unaired, why would there be a kinescope of it. Those dubs that used to circulate of B&W 16mm film prints of shows I know were originally in color -- what the heck are those anyway? Why were they created? For the military or something?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Just a few random thoughts:

1, I agree with David Matychuk that a January 2016 release seems a bit optimistic, given that Andrew Sandoval is apparently still on the hunt for extra materials! That said, if he's able pull everything off (Especially in regards to including the alternate syndicated soundtracks!), it will be well worth it, in my opinion!

2. For those who have never seen the March 1969 special, 33 1/3 REVOLUTIONS PER MONKEE, this is a truly the most bizarre project The Monkees were ever involved with! It almost makes HEAD look conventional! Nevertheless, it would be nice to see this in it's best possible Audio/Visual presentation!

3. Although this ties in with #1, it would be fantastic to see The Monkees Kellogg's/Yardley's Of London Commercial spots in a better presentation than what is offered on the DVD Season Sets!

That's all for now.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
I pre-ordered this set yesterday. I don't find it particularly expensive for over 30 hours of restored programming. To me the Monkees were a TV show about musicians, not musicians with a TV show. So having the best versions of the shows appeals to me. Plus I don't have any of the shows on VHS or DVD and I've only seen them sporadically on TV now and then. So I'm in.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
As fellow Canucks on here have stated, the price is just way too steep with the exchange rate. $200 + tax + shipping, converted to U.S. funds is just WAY too much to even consider a purchase. As much as I love "The Monkees", I'm thinking I'll hold on to my existing DVD sets.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Dee Zee said:
I pre-ordered this set yesterday. I don't find it particularly expensive for over 30 hours of restored programming. To me the Monkees were a TV show about musicians, not musicians with a TV show. So having the best versions of the shows appeals to me. Plus I don't have any of the shows on VHS or DVD and I've only seen them sporadically on TV now and then. So I'm in.
"The best versions of the shows". That's what it's all about, right? To me, the Blu-Rays are worth getting if the versions of the shows are a significant advance over the DVD's. Two hundred American dollars for that would not be out of line for this Canadian. If the versions on the Blu-Rays are only a modest improvement over the DVD's, then I'd need to think about it, even if some additional extras were to surface for this release. But the Last Train To Blu-Raysville isn't until January, so I'm thinking that an informed decision about pre-ordering may yet be possible.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Based on the source being the original 35mm negatives, I suspect these could be of similar quality to the BATMAN '66 Blu-ray Series sets, which would be stellar!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Since it looks like they dont charge the card upon placing the order, only when it ships - I might go place a preorder and decide if I'll pull the plug as the ship date gets closer and once we get more reviews and news in.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Add me to the list of Canadians suffering from the exchange rate ha ha. I'll have to see what the Christmas bonus situation is this year to see if I can swing it or not.

My guess is, this limited "Fan" edition will include "Head" and that 7 single with a more standard edition featuring just the episodes and 33 Revolutions sold on amazon and what not coming out later.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Not Sure if people here seen this, but the Monkee's podcast "Zilch" had some info on the upcoming blu.

http://zilchmonkeescast.blogspot.ca/2015/11/zilch-42-monkees-on-blu-ray-andrew.html

Some high lights (from my crap memory):

Complete camera reels from the 33/3rd shoot have been found, including a complete performance of Listen To the Band (the last time the Monkees performed as a band before the reunion). Not the complete set of reels though, from the sounds of it. Sounds like it will look better than ever regardless

HEAD will feature many outtakes that were deemed too costly to include in the Criterion set.

The uncensored version of the episode "Too Many Girls" has been found and will be included as an alternate

Most episodes will feature the original broadcast songs with the option to listen to the alternate songs that were substituted from repeats.

Apparently the DVDs use masters created in 1995, this is the first time the film has been re-scanned since then. Also, Sony never provided them previously with all the material they said they had. They have now, so there should be some pretty cool additional things being added.

They are scrapping the fake 5.1 mix of the DVDs and concentrating on presenting the original mono. Reason to not do 5.1 is that the original stems for the episodes are not available and they want this to be definitive to 60's broadcasts.

Bonus disc will feature their complete appearance on the Johnny Cash show, an unseen since a one time airing of film shot for TOP OF THE POPS (BBC) and some other stuff I can't remember. This material will only be available on the limited edition due to licensing costs.

There will be a regular retail edition down the road, with out the bonus disc.

It will be packaged so that it will sit nicely on the shelf with the Super Deluxe versions of the music Rhino Handmade put out, so if you own those it's a bonus.

It will not feature the 1997 movie Hey Hey It's The Monkees. They wanted to keep the set concentrating on the 60's, and licensing on the 97 movie is a costly nightmare that would of meant leaving material off this set. They plan to hopefully do a second set which would feature the 80's & 90's videos, the 97 tv movie and some later concert material in the next couple years as a companion to this set.

It will not include a Monkee Mobile toy car. They looked into, but delivery time would of been 18 months and they didn't want to hold the set back for a toy car.

Is it worth the $200? I don't know. I'm leaning to ordering it despite getting pooched with my pants on with shipping and exchange rate to Canada. I never paid for any of my Monkees stuff, so I can't really complain about cost.... well, I can, but you know, it is what it is. The clips of the restoration look top notch, and these guys seem to know what they're doing.

So DON'T Listen to the podcast if you are trying to avoid ordering the set... :P

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After complaining about the jacked up price of Batman '66 because of the Box'o'Junk with the toy car, I certainly shouldn't want a toy Monkeemobile.

...yet I do.

It is nice to know that the series itself will be coming in a non-LE, cheaper set later on down the line for those who can't or don't want to pay the price for the LE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks