What's new

The Mod Squad (1 Viewer)

hypnohighball

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sayers
Got my season 3 sets yesterday. Popped disc 1 in to check the quality and was pretty disappointed after jumping around on the 1st 3 episodes. LOTS of grain - I think the episodes look better on MeTV! Not sure I'll be picking up the other seasons now. I'll watch an episode or two to see if I change my mind, but my first impression is NOT good.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
hypnohighball said:
Got my season 3 sets yesterday. Popped disc 1 in to check the quality and was pretty disappointed after jumping around on the 1st 3 episodes. LOTS of grain - I think the episodes look better on MeTV! Not sure I'll be picking up the other seasons now. I'll watch an episode or two to see if I change my mind, but my first impression is NOT good.
Are they clear/sharp and grainy or fuzzy/murky and grainy?

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
They're the Worldvision distribution transfers from 35mm prints. They are clean and sharp. Any complaints about image quality have a lot more to do with the displays people are using to view them than the quality of the DVD transfers.

Rob Mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
There are occasional shots that are grainy, but the source is that way. Shows from that era always had grain in opening and closing shots before and after commercial breaks and some post optical zoom shots. Season 3 looks sharp clean to me too. Considering it's a 1970 tv show, it looks good.

hypnohighball

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sayers
I totally take back my initial judgement on the picture quality of season 3. I just watched my favorite episode, "A Time For Hyacinths" with Vincent Price and it looked great. I'll pick up seasons 4 and 5 for sure!

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Amazon Canada has shipped me the final season 5 of Mod Squad, as well as the last two seasons of Diagnosis Murder. Thanks to VEI for bringing these two CBS shows back from the dead in 2013. It's been great to watch further seasons of these favorites. VEI is small and can't always meet their release dates, but I'm glad for what they have produced over the years.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Well, I did it.

Using an Amazon Gift Card I received from a very generous donator, I went ahead and ordered up The Mod Squad Deluxe Gift Set. Hopefully, it will arrive at my doorstep soon!!!!

Now I can look forward to viewing Kristie, the series' lone XMAS episode, on that very day in just a few weeks!!!!!

Halleluiah!!!! :D

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
According the tvshowsondvd, VEI is having a sale with a code for an extra discount for free shipping. I tried the code and it got rejected and I don't see anywhere on the site where you can request the free shipping.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Neil Brock said:
According the tvshowsondvd, VEI is having a sale with a code for an extra discount for free shipping. I tried the code and it got rejected and I don't see anywhere on the site where you can request the free shipping.
Neil, I tried to use the code, too, and got rejected. Apparently, the code is for boxed sets only--not season sets, hence the title, "Boxing Week Blowout."
I tried it on the complete series and it worked, but still costs too much for me. I think it came to $97 with the code, but amazon has it for 89.99 (as of this typing).
I think I will wait a few months, and buy the season sets when they are available on amazon. If the SRP is $19.99, I'm hoping they will get marked down to $15.00. Then, I can get all 5 seasons for around $75.00. Fingers crossed.

Rob Mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
I got them for $14 each but remember they are split seasons so 10 x $14 (plus tax) is 5 seasons. $89 for the box set is a good deal.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Neil Brock said:
The code "CHRISTMAS2" will give you 10% off and free shipping will show up as an option during checkout (at least if you order all five complete season sets it did). So the total comes to $89.87 for all five seasons. Since Amazon has raised their price this is probably the best deal currently available.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
hypnohighball said:
Does anyone know if these full season sets take up less shelf space than a pair of the half-season sets?
Since they were just announced a week ago I doubt anyone has received them yet. You could email them directly to find out.

Based on some other full season releases VEI has put out of hour long shows, they would appear to prefer double wide cases. And since this appears to be a repackage of the previous split sets with four disks each, I would say it is likely these will be double wide as well. I haven't seen any eight disk sets show up in standard width cases.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
hypnohighball said:
Does anyone know if these full season sets take up less shelf space than a pair of the half-season sets?
Fedex just delivered my complete series set. Each of the 5 seasons are cased in one double wide case (not split cases).
The double wide case is slightly under 1 inch wide while 2 split season cases are slightly over 1 inch wide, so, yes, the full season sets will take up less shelf space, but not by much.
Interestingly, 4 of my cases were black and one was clear. Naturally, I prefer the clear one so you can view the episode guide listing on the other side of the cover insert.
I guess that's why I got the set so cheap. I will probably scan the backside of the insert and make a copy so I won't have to keep pulling it out to view the list.
The outer box that holds the cases is made of very sturdy cardboard, so no problems there..

hypnohighball

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sayers
Ron Lee Green said:
Fedex just delivered my complete series set. Each of the 5 seasons are cased in one double wide case (not split cases).
The double wide case is slightly under 1 inch wide while 2 split season cases are slightly over 1 inch wide, so, yes, the full season sets will take up less shelf space, but not by much.
Interestingly, 4 of my cases were black and one was clear. Naturally, I prefer the clear one so you can view the episode guide listing on the other side of the cover insert.
I guess that's why I got the set so cheap. I will probably scan the backside of the insert and make a copy so I won't have to keep pulling it out to view the list.
The outer box that holds the cases is made of very sturdy cardboard, so no problems there..
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks