What's new

The Mist (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I sure do have to disagree with your spoiler comment about Carmody.

I ascribe the tragic ending to the fact that sometimes, many times, life is not fair. I grew up on the monster flicks in the 50's when the scientists always figured it out in the end and everybody lived happily ever after, so the ending was hard to accept.

I've just watched the movie and liked it a lot, but Mrs. Carmody really got on my nerves, a lot. I find the tale it told to be very topical and relevant to today. Won't say more to stay within the rules.

Well guess it's open for interpretation, but I think I do recall Darabont addressing the assessment I provided (kind of coyly said something like "was she right?")

As far as you're other thoughts, I do believe you can talk about political themes strictly as they pertain to the film. But if you intend to comment on a certain prominent political figure, as I suspect, I would agree there's no way that's not a powderkeg.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well guess it's open for interpretation, but I think I do recall Darabont addressing the assessment I provided (kind of coyly said something like "was she right?")

As far as you're other thoughts, I do believe you can talk about political themes strictly as they pertain to the film. But if you intend to comment on a certain prominent political figure, as I suspect, I would agree there's no way that's not a powderkeg.
One thing to keep in mind is that even before Thomas Jane's character does what he does, the miliatary is already advancing. It was timing, tragic timing, that's all it was. IMHO, of course.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
One thing to keep in mind is that even before Thomas Jane's character does what he does, the miliatary is already advancing. It was timing, tragic timing, that's all it was. IMHO, of course.

Yes, yes. But you're thinking of it logically. If the twist I proposed is to be accepted, it means other forces are at play.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I picked up The Mist on the two-disk Blu set from Big Lots about 6-7 years ago (for a decent price) - but initially only watched the color version. Excellent film.

And, I recently watched the b&w version for the first time. Wow. You wouldn't think the film would really "work" in b&w due to the sci-fi/horror element(s) & the effects, etc. However, I find this particular version to be extremely effective. Seeing this film without color really adds to the creepy ambience & gives the movie a neo-noir vibe/tone that the color version doesn't have....as much. I don't think b&w would really work for a lot of other modern sci-fi/horror films, but it definitely worked extremely well re: TM.

Re: the film itself, excellent story-line & casting. I found the division between the store customers/staff (when they slowly realized that the monsters/creatures were trapping them in the store) to be extremely realistic & probably mirrors what would happen IRL - if something like this were to actually occur. I.e., I suspect many people out there are relatively "civilized" & will abide/follow the rules of society, etc. - in most cases. However, under extremely stressful situations people's true personalities & feelings come out.

Even though I read the SK short story that this film is based on & understand the criticism re: the change in the storyline - I do find the ending appropriately nihilistic....especially considering what the characters thought was going to happen to them. And, IMHO the fact that it appeared they would have been saved minutes later doesn't change that.

Not for the first time, I noticed that The Mist featured a good # of cast members that later were seen in the iconic The Walking Dead TV series. Obviously, this wasn't coincidental:

Last edited:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
And, I recently watched the b&w version for the first time. Wow. You wouldn't think the film would really "work" in b&w due to the sci-fi/horror element(s) & the effects, etc. However, I find this particular version to be extremely effective. Seeing this film without color really adds to the creepy ambience & gives the movie a neo-noir vibe/tone that the color version doesn't have....as much. I don't think b&w would really work for a lot of other modern sci-fi/horror films, but it definitely worked extremely well re: TM.

Even though I read the SK short story that this film is based on & understand the criticism re: the change in the storyline - I do find the ending appropriately nihilistic....especially considering what the characters thought was going to happen to them. And, IMHO the fact that it appeared they would have been saved minutes later doesn't change that.

I think the B&W version makes some of the weaker CGI moments (for example the tentacle monster) easier to swallow.

as for the ending, I’m always surprised almost everyone thinks the twist is “If he just waited 2 mins longer………..” I think the real twist is that Mrs. Carmody was right, as soon as the child and the “whore“ was ”sacrificed” that what lifted the mist.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Frank Darabont's third (and least) Stephen King adaptation (SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, GREEN MILE). A very simple premise where a bunch of small town folks get trapped in a grocery store as an ominous mist engulfs the area. Taking place in King's favorite mythical locale, Castle Rock, Maine, it's sort of the author's take on John Carpenter's The Fog except with primordial beasts instead of ghosts (there are also nods to the original ALIEN and Carpenter's THE THING).
The townsfolk immediately break into factions which displays King and Darabont's dim view of humanity, all the while laying waste to the old axiom that tragedy brings out the best in people. The main characters are David (Thomas Jane) and son (Nathan Gamble), his neighbor (Andre Braugher), a store clerk (Toby Jones), and a friendly schoolteacher named Amanda (Laurie Holden).
The early scenes where the terror is revealed are the best. The mechanical and visual effects work fine. The gore and grue are suitably icky. Cinematographer Rohn Schmidt captures it with lots of hand-held to put the viewer in the scene and Mark Ishams's score is effective. As long as it remains a creature feature it's fine. Unfortunately, the screenplay puts far too much emphasis on Marcia Gay Harden's Mrs. Carmody: a hecktoring zealous Christian stereotype. Harden's performance is fully committed, but Darabond's script and direction allows the character to bellow and scream so much as to become cartoonish. A little subtely would have gone a long way not only in making Mrs. Carmody less annoying, but also allowing for some extra story layers where the characters weren't simply all black or white.
The biggest change from King's novella is the ending. It does have some impact even if the film itself doesn't truly earn it. THE MIST is a mixed bag in the end.

The way the film plays out allows one to argue that the remaining followers of Mrs. Carmody quite possibly survived at the end -- making the finale that much more darkly ironic. The only thing that could have make it bleaker would have for those survivors to have been in one of the jeeps driving by at the fadeout. I don't think that Darabont had that in mind when he wrote and directed -- thoughts?

THE MIST is currently available to stream on Peacock and Fubu and for rental. It's on DVD, Blu Ray and 4K UHD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks