What's new

The Mist - Spike TV (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Anyone else watch the first episode of what appears to be a very loose adaptation of King's "The Mist"? I thought it was pretty much a trainwreck, but will probably watch another episode to see if they've made any course corrections from the pilot episode.

Full of unlikeable characters making moronic decisions every step of the way. I think I'm rooting for the mist.

Interesting choice to
kill off Mrs. Carmody
in the first episode. That would seem to signal a different direction from King's story and the Darabont film.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Not impressed so far, but I like the source material too much to give up Will give it at least one or two more episodes.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Didn't they already try making this once and it was a bomb, why try it again?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Didn't they already try making this once and it was a bomb, why try it again?

You must be one of those "glass half empty" guys! :laugh:

Hope springs eternal, my friend!

It's a great premise. I see it as an updated 1950s sci-fi type of story...but execution is everything.

Full disclosure: I didn't watch and don't intend to. 1950s sci-fi isn't a big draw for me. But, also, I remember thinking how cool I thought Under The Dome was going to be. Great premise--intriguing--but lousy execution.

But I'll defend to the death their right to try! :D

sonomatom1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Martin
Have you guys forgotten Frank Darabont's excellent 2007 film? Unfortunately, not a box-office success, it was well-acted and well produced. Unfortunately, Darabont, with King's permission, changed the ended that was very jarring and, frankly (no pun), inexplicable. Still worth watching, I think.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I love the original short story, and the 2007 film. But trainwreck is the best way to describe this new "interpretation".
Had no idea this was another "interpretation". Thought it was a repeat of the Marcia Gay Harden version.

Missed episode one, but I'm set for the rest. I found the original ending very depressing, never read the story, but looking forward this version.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I -LOVED- the Darabont film. Bold choices that REALLY mess with audience expectations. =)
Especially that last scene with Thomas Jane, really caught me off guard.

Definitely one of the better "Stephen King" novels filmed. Sometimes they're awful, other times they can be perfect. Many flaws, yet I still love "The Stand" 23 years later.

Spike showed "It" a few days ago, not my favorite, but on the DVR ready to go.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Two complete episodes and they still haven't shown us anything in the mist. It's almost like in this interpretation there is nothing actually contained within the mist. It's just the presence of the mist itself driving people to crazy extremes, not knowing what's out there, if anything, or where it came from.

This show is moving at a glacial pace. I give it one more episode. If nothing happens, then I'm done.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Anyone else watch the first episode of what appears to be a very loose adaptation of King's "The Mist"? I thought it was pretty much a trainwreck, but will probably watch another episode to see if they've made any course corrections from the pilot episode.

Full of unlikeable characters making moronic decisions every step of the way. I think I'm rooting for the mist.

Interesting choice to
kill off Mrs. Carmody
in the first episode. That would seem to signal a different direction from King's story and the Darabont film.
Just watched the first episode on Netflix. Not impressed but I did like what happened in your spoiler. In the movie, the first time I watched it I almost stood up and cheered when the spoiler event ocuredl.

I’ve never seen so many characters not to root for. Since this show was one and done, I’m done at one episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks