What's new

The Mist Blu-ray announced for Sept 16 (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I caved because the Two-Disc Collector's Edition contained the black-and-white version of the movie. Until I see that the forthcoming Blu-ray Disc includes both versions, I won't regret that choice. That said, I certainly hope it does, and I'll be buying this release regardless, as that is how much I enjoyed this film.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Yes, that is indeed excellent news! Murphy's Law dictates that the black-and-white version wouldn't have been included if I hadn't bought the Collector's Edition SD DVD though. :laugh: Oh, well, this film was that good, IMHO.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Weinstein HD-DVD releases:

Black Christmas (2006)
Harsh Times
Feast
Lucky Number Slevin
Pulse
The Matador
Scary Movie 4
Wolf Creek

Genius released

School for Scoundrels
Derailed

- Walter.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Good to see Weinstein finally getting back into the HD game... I just hope they release their Dragon Dynasty stuff this time around.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to vent, guys...
I don't mind dark endings or films but this was needless and pointless. I get that Darabont was going for the cynical "Night Of the Living Dead" ending, but that's not the way the original was. A cheap, manipulative way to wring emotion out of the audience that is neither telegraphed nor earned. A cop-out. Imagine if at the end of "The Shawshank Redemption" Morgan Freeman's character "Red" had been killed right before he meets up again with Tim Robbins's character? Would absolutely suck and pretty much negate the preceding 2 hours of movie, yes? Sure, it would have been HEAVY and SAD and TRAGIC but simply wrong for the film and story it was in. Well, as someone who has been a fan of the novella "The Mist" for years, I'm amazed that King let this kinda major story change fly. Maybe that van clipping him by the side of the road really did send him into the dark. A shame. Up until the ending I was absolutely loving it. I had heard that the ending was different but never imagined it would happen the way it did. As a recent new father, it pissed me off even more. Lazy, manipulative film-making 101. A cheap, tasteless ending for a good film and for a novella that deserved much better.

Thanks, Frank. From now on, I'll just re-read the story and not rewatch the film again. I'm GLAD the movie tanked at the box office. It deserved to IMHO...

On the plus side, the B+W version looked excellent.

htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

(Sorry, one of my all time fave stories by King ruined IMHO and me being a new father really being bothered by the ending....)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Psst...Dave...it made $53 million worldwide on an $18 million budget. Even if advertising was 1/2 of the budget (making the total cost $27 million), the movie still made money.

Source: Box Office Mojo

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Come on Dave, tell us how you really feel.

Having just watched this movie again last weekend, my opinion is the opposite of Dave's. I had no problem with it at all (granted, I'm not a father yet). I never read the novella either, but I believe that King went on record to say that he thinks Darabont's ending was, in his opinion, much better than his own. I just went on Wikipedia to check what the ending of the Novella was and I just don't think that would have worked for me in this film. Not only was the ending in the film appropiately brutal, but it gave a nice twist ending as well. like you're now "allowed" to do that.) I feel sometimes sentiments like that are the reason that Hollywood does not like to take risks and present daring story choices. You're obviously perfectly free to express your opinion, of course, but I must say, you're above comment seems a bit unwarranted to me.

I think "The Mist" was the best horror film to come out of Hollywood since 2004's "Dawn of the Dead"

MattFini

Supporting Actor
REALLY well said, Will, and I agree with you in all regards.

The Mist is my favorite horror movie in a very long time and having watched the Blu-Ray this past weekend, I was quite pleaed with the a/v quality.

I think it's a msterpiece through and through. LOVED the ending, it's appropriate for the movie--at least for my money. Very painful and bothersome.

I love that a horror film was able to provoke that rection in me again ... it's been far too long.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Funny about King's comment about Darabont's ending being better than his own. I'm a huge King fan and find little to complain about, but one of my dear friends from college used to say "Man, King can create a 98% compelling narrative but he needs to learn how to end his stories better." :D She'd be smiling now, I'm sure.

I haven't watched the film yet, and to be honest I don't remember the book all that well either, so I'm looking forward to screening this on Friday on BD and the re-reading the book (I have it somewhere) and posting my thoughts.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Gotcha Will,

and last nite I was pretty peeved. (also have been working 60-70 hour weeks for the last 6 weeks and am beat and was REALLY looking forward to finally watching this as because of our baby, we haven't been to the movies in forever)
It's also a story that I loved and reread many times over the years. I understand having a bit of a different ending but a completely opposite one?
Also when a fave story or book of yours is radically changed it can be very irritating, (hence the unusal venom from me late last nite)
For example, I saw Kubrick's The Shining when I was 12 having never read the book and loved it. I had a few friends (older) and relatives who had read the book first and HATED the film, I mean HATED it because of the change regarding Dick Hallorhan's fate. Later after reading the book, I saw their point even if I didn't have the same pissed reaction. With "The Mist", I did in regards to the fate of the people in the car.

Well, just IMHO, King made the wrong choice and should've kept the original ending or not one that was just so "Oooh, how IRONIC!"
Smacks of cheap manipulation and laziness IMHO.

JUST in my little opinion...

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I get what you're trying to say. You have all this affection for the book over the years and the film goes with a radically different ending (especially with you being a new father, something you could never want to imagine having to do.) But I guess one has to distance themselves from a book a bit while watching a film and judge what works within a film. Take "Jaws" for example. If you read that book and loved it should Spielberg have kept the ending of the book where the shark simply drowns at the end, or gone with the different but more exciting and theatrical ending that we all know now. Another example, say "Jurassic Park", would I have loved to see a film that followed closely to the book? sure, I love the book and have read it several times. The film ended up being radically different from the book in many ways. But the film worked fine for me anyway.

I guess the ending of "The Mist" did not work for you, and that's fine. For me, having seen it a couple of times, I can't imagine what would have been more effective for me given the situation that they were in.

I still think it was refreshing to see a film pull no punches like that. In most cases a film is altered from its source material to make it more upbeat, more crowd pleasing. In this case it was the opposite. I'm surprised the studio even allowed that ending to be used. Was that the reason, it didn't do better at the box office? possibly. I just happen to think the ending of King's story would likely have been a letdown after the horrific two hours that preceeded it.

I don't know if you watched the color or the B&W version. If you did watch it in color, I would suggest giving it another chance with the B&W version once the movie ending has "sunk in" for you a bit more, since you said you were pretty into it up until the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks