What's new

The Mist: A Quickie Review - Warning: several spoilers! (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I Mist this in the Theaters:D So I wanted to pick this up when it came out on DVD. Although I'm sure a Blu of this will be coming in the Future. I had read Mixed Reviews of this movie that mostly dealt with the Revised Ending of the Novel. I won't Spoil it here but this is definately a unsettling Ending, I read one review that called it Horrific, well duh this is a Horror Movie, and the ending is no more bleak than say the ending of Clovefield with one Notable Exception. Still I thought this the best Horror film is ages and one of the Better King Adaptions. In fact this was a better "Monster" movie than cloverfield. And that Ending Makes you think a bit more than King's Novella Ending, King himself has said it was a better ending. But Today's Audience made the movie a Flop by spreading the Word of Mouth that the ending was Bleak. I have a feeling today's Audience would Have Serling's "The Monsters are Due on Maple Street" end with the neighboorhood holding hands and singing Kumbeyah.

The Point of that piece is similar with King's in that the disraveling of Society is often at our hands and not the monsters.

This is one of the Rare Occasions where you'll definately want the 2 Disk Version of the Film. Darabont the film's director wanted to shoot the film in Black & White, to own back to the 60's classics like Night of the Living Dead. Of Course the Studio would have none of that. But on Disk two is the film properly Balanced in B&W, so it's more than just a "Color Turned Off" version. And thou I watched the theatrical, I sampled the Black & White, and boy it feels like an entirely different film, with a much more unreal, otherworldly atmosphere. So Check out the version Darabont wanted and the Studio was afraid to release because Youngin's won't watch no stinking B&W.

The Mist is a good old fashion Monster and Morality tale, give it a spin.

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
To be honest the reason I didn't like the ending wasn't because it was bleak, it was because It felt created for shock value and wasn't believable in my opinion. As for replay value I just can't imagine watching it more than once and I love these type of movies. I will say the first couple hours were great but the created ending not so much. Mr. King isn't exactly known for his great story endings so his opinion really doesn't sway me on endings...though in this case I would have prefered the book ending...bleak but open ended, some things are better left to our imagination.

I just didn't believe they would go through all that just to give up because they ran out of gas...it made no sense in that they knew it was coming but made no effort to find shelter or even try to find another car with gas or anything. I'm telling you most people would not just say...oh well we ran out of gas let's give up and die now, you would do everything you could to survive. It would have made more sense if it was just the boy and the father but it wasn't. Why bother even going for the truck then...the boy could have just as easily been picked off then so I don't want to hear any excuses about the son.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

It was shown in the movie that these things outside (Not all of which they even say) killed them pretty quick, the exception being when they walked into the pharmacy, but then they were walking into danger. One Bite from those insects look how quickly it killed, and then there was the acid shooters, would've you stopped when you can't see what's in front of you?

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

There are two things that help mitigate the ending in my eyes:

1. Billy Drayton made his dad promise that he would not let the monsters eat him.

2. When the car stopped, the monsters could be heard nearby. They would not have made it very far.

I think the film and it's maker have balls little seen in this day and age. For me, it is just like the Coen's NCFOM.

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott

Spoilers***********************************
1. He didn't seem to mind risking his son when they ran for the truck outside the store...could have just as easily gotten him then(besides the worst monsters were in the store). Like I said before, I maybe could have bought the ending that way if it was the two of them and one bullet. That would have been a little more believable...but shoot all of them? they all give up? I bet you wouldn't like that unless you have a death wish. It seems they did all they could do to survive but at the end they just go ..oops out of gas. Just not buying it or the bad planning and poor effort once they had the truck, they wouldn't just drive until out of gas. Besides..how many parents make that promise to a scared kid. All of them...how many mean it...not many if any.

2. If seems they made it quite a while without even a peep from the monsters while riding in the truck..heck the huge one just walked past them and didn't do a thing. I would take all that as a sign to at least try. They made that choice way to quick for my taste. At least wait a while and see if you don't even want to try and go for it.

3. Maybe some balls but it still has to make more sense in the story or it's just shock value stuff. I'll take the open ended bleak ending any day. I was so pissed after loving the rest to see that ending. Glad you liked it but for me..ugh!

Christopher*KH

Stunt Coordinator
I had a question regarding the movement of the camera...such as the sudden Zoom In's and Pan Out's in the super-market when David and Brent first arrive and alittle later as well...

Are these movements supposed to be there? Was it like this in the theater version?...It just seemed odd seeing it happen, and at times it looked like the image in film wasn't center...like something was off...

IF this has been addressed elsewhere I am sorry.. I looked PLEASE direct me to the correct URL for the information is it was...

IF this is te correct way the film was intended to look then like Gilda Radner said "Nevermind :) "

thanx Chris 3.31.08

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I also didn't like the ending, and not because it was "bleak". NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD has a "bleak" ending, and it works perfectly. I just didn't buy that a father would kill his own son unless he was absolutely, positively sure that it was truly "the end". Had the car been overrun with those awful spider monsters and the dad killed the others to "put them out of their misery", okay I could buy that, but not him killing them all when he wasn't 100% sure. Also, I agree with Van re: it being created simply for "shock value". The shot of the little boy waking up just before his dad kills him was completely gratuitous IMO.
Like I said, I'm not against bleak endings, I like plenty of movies that have bleak endings, but in those films the endings are dramatically sound. I didn't feel that way about THE MIST. I thought it was bleak for the sake of being bleak, and the actions of the father were
dramatically unbelievable.

Being that, I found much of the dialogue to be overwrought. I don't know how close Darabount kept to the dialogue in the novella, but my impression watching the movie was that a lot of what the characters said might have read well in the pages of the novella, but spoken out loud by actors it rang untrue.

Vincent

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
A long, annoying and boring movie, IMO.

Much preferred P2 and its unbelievability.

The special feature on the artist who makes movie posters was more interesting than the movie.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Thats one about a woman being chased through a parking garage. It lasted a week in the theater. The reviews are horrid for it, and the director a first time hack. Guess we know how Yumbo feels about Frank Darabont. :)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Oh, I actually remember seeing a trailer for that movie now that you mention it. I assumed P2 stood for something, and I couldn't figure out what.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
The parking garage psycho-thriller with Wes Bentley and the upcoming Rachel Nichols (cross between Sarah Polley and Jodie Foster), produced by Aja who is talented.

I like Shawshank Redemption! A lot.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Just to quickly, eh, return to The Mist...must say I thought it was one of the best horror pictures I've seen in ages. Seeing it on dvd in b&w is terrific, and the extras were quite interesting.

I hope all this debate about the ending (rather prevalent for films from 2007, right?) doesn't discourage anyone from checking this out. A strong adaptation of a chilling story, well shot, with really good performances from a solid cast. (Andre Braugher, Toby Jones, Marcia Gay Harden, and especially Tom "I just want my children back!" Jane)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks