"The Mission" in R2? Plus R1 Rehash

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Overduin, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

It seems from this link that The Mission (DeNiro) is released in R2. Anybody comment on this?
    http://us.imdb.com/DVD?0091530
    This link to a previously posted thread updates the obvious: It didn't get a 2001 release as planned, after a planned 2000 release also fell through.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...+Robert+DeNiro
    The last WB chat did not reveal anything new, so I am curious if anyone has anything more on this title.

2. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

The mission has also been released on DVD in Scandinavia. I doubt this is the same transfer as the Scandinavian DVD has been released by a company that specializes in releasing titles for which the video distributon rights has expired, but in any case, stay away from the Scandinavian DVD, it is one of the absolutely worst DVD's I own in terms of video and sound quality.

3. Peter Overduin

Thanks, Bjorn. Well, that confirms an R2 release, however, your comments are not very heartening. This is a tremendous film with an awe-inspiring score; both deserve the best in a DVD.

It would appear that WB has not made any determination yet in regards to this film; perhaps I'll take the direct approach and wirte them a snail-mail to inquire!

4. Matt_Wizall

Matt_Wizall Agent

Any news on this yet? I'd really like to add this to my collection. I have the sound track and listen to it frequently. Aweinspiring is a good adjective.

5. Peter Overduin

This was one of the movies that finally provoked me to go out and get a LD player. This film has tremendous potential for a DVD release; not only for the film itself, but also the score. Absolutely beautiful.

6. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Roland Joffe mentioned in an interview (I forget where I read it) that he had already recorded a commentary track for this, in tandem with the one for KILLING FIELDS. Whenh Warner finally gets around to releasing THE MISSION it should therefore have the commentary, if nothing else.

7. Steven Good

Steven Good Second Unit

Steven
    i picked up a "region 0" up from an auction site that shall remain nameless. the disc seems sourced from the last widescreen laserdisc version. 2.35:1 aspect ratio, non-anamorphic obviously. so, if you see it listed, don't get your hopes up--it's not legit, though passable in quality.

i know, i know..not boot discussion. i simply want people to know that it's out there and not to get it without knowing what it really is.

the day Warner puts one out with isolated score and director's commentary (Irons and DeNiro commentary would be gret, too) i'm buying it.

8. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham
    There's a German R2 release, but it appears to be dubbed with no english audio track.

9. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I recoreded this off of Showtime HD a couple of weeks ago. It was an upconvert but at least anamorphic 16:9. Picture quality was not that good. Its on five more times this month, the next is June 12th at 2pm EST on SHO-HD and probably the regular Showtime channel.