THE MISSING or OPEN RANGE- which is the better DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David_Blackwell, Feb 16, 2004.

1. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I have just reviewed THE MISSING and OPEN RANGE for my site:

http://enterline2.tripod.com/enterline/id121.html

I like both movies, but I have decided to start this thread in anticipation of THE MISSING coming out next week. Both DVDs have their pros and cons, and both are 2 dic releases. You can decide which one is the better DVD by reading my review of both movies (and/or compare them when THE MISSING is released next week). I was more impressed with the Menu deisgn of THE MISSING over OPEN RANGE while both movies have transfers that are soft in places. For thr rest, just read the reviews (and I also did a short review of BUFFALO SOLDIERS after those two Westerns).

Be Seeing You,
    David Blackwell

2. Frank@N

[email protected] Screenwriter

I'd like to resurrect this thread...(although I'm more interested in each film's content).

'The Missing' seems to be criminally underrated and many popular DVD sites didn't even bother to review it.

The suggestion that this film is dull, goes nowhere, or wastes the talent of it's actors is *completely* ridiculous.

This is a powerful and very effective, dark film.

I hesitate to say it's a 'thriller with supernatural elements' because that would lead people to assume that: 1) it doesn't contain fantastic acting, 2) incredible visuals, 3) or that such elemental can't be forged in the Western genre.

Do not 'miss' The Missing, it's every bit as good as Open Range (although a completely different experience).

3. Frank@N

I'd like to resurrect this thread...(although I'm more interested in each film's content).

'The Missing' seems to be criminally underrated and many popular DVD sites didn't even bother to review it.

The suggestion that this film is dull, goes nowhere, or wastes the talent of it's actors is *completely* ridiculous.

This is a powerful and very effective, dark film.

I hesitate to say it's a 'thriller with supernatural elements' because that would lead people to assume that: 1) it doesn't contain fantastic acting, 2) incredible visuals, 3) or that such elemental can't be forged in the Western genre.

Do not 'miss' The Missing, it's every bit as good as Open Range (although a completely different experience).

4. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Frank,

I'll have to respectfully disagree. I thought The Missing was pretty boring, and I never cared about the characters. Conversely I was drawn into Open Range and loved it all the way through.

It's a shame, because I like Tommy Lee Jones and Cate Blanchett a lot, but it just didn't work for me.

5. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Frank,

I'll have to respectfully disagree. I thought The Missing was pretty boring, and I never cared about the characters. Conversely I was drawn into Open Range and loved it all the way through.

It's a shame, because I like Tommy Lee Jones and Cate Blanchett a lot, but it just didn't work for me.

6. Sten F

Sten F Second Unit

You cannot campare those two movies in any way. It would the same if you compared Once Upon a Time in America against The Godfather or A Bug´s Life to Antz.

Just because they are both westerns does not mean you can compare them against each other. If you really want to compare two western movies, then Open Range are a lot more similar to Unforgiven than The Missing when it comes to theme.

However, each person get something different out of different movies. Just watch them both and make of it as you wish. All in all, it wouldn´t be fair to compare any movie with another.

7. Sten F

Sten F Second Unit

You cannot campare those two movies in any way. It would the same if you compared Once Upon a Time in America against The Godfather or A Bug´s Life to Antz.

Just because they are both westerns does not mean you can compare them against each other. If you really want to compare two western movies, then Open Range are a lot more similar to Unforgiven than The Missing when it comes to theme.

However, each person get something different out of different movies. Just watch them both and make of it as you wish. All in all, it wouldn´t be fair to compare any movie with another.

8. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Open Range is a fantastic film. One of the best of 2003. Easily the best Western since the brief Western renaissance of the early 90's (Dances With Wolves, Lonseome Dove, Unforgiven, Tombstone).

The Missing isn't awful - none of Ron Howard's films are awful - but it really isn't that good, either. It inspires no deep feelings one way or the other.

Advantage: the wonderful Open Range

9. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Open Range is a fantastic film. One of the best of 2003. Easily the best Western since the brief Western renaissance of the early 90's (Dances With Wolves, Lonseome Dove, Unforgiven, Tombstone).

The Missing isn't awful - none of Ron Howard's films are awful - but it really isn't that good, either. It inspires no deep feelings one way or the other.

Advantage: the wonderful Open Range

10. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    What Ernest said.

11. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    What Ernest said.

12. Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock Second Unit

Open Range, man oh man do I need to pick that up one of these days. I really enjoyed it.

13. Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock Second Unit

Open Range, man oh man do I need to pick that up one of these days. I really enjoyed it.

14. Sten F

Sten F Second Unit

Honestly, I enjoyed Open Range just as much as Unforgiven... might even a tiny bit more.

15. Sten F

Sten F Second Unit

Honestly, I enjoyed Open Range just as much as Unforgiven... might even a tiny bit more.

16. Frank@N

Wow...you must be one tough cookie.

There are some extremely current issues at work here (child abduction and the proliferation of the global sex trade).

The only character who's emotionally cutoff is Samuel (TLJ), but then this is a guy that abandoned his family.

The outtake where he asks about the son he never met is moving indeed.

And that's an outtake...

17. Frank@N

Wow...you must be one tough cookie.

There are some extremely current issues at work here (child abduction and the proliferation of the global sex trade).

The only character who's emotionally cutoff is Samuel (TLJ), but then this is a guy that abandoned his family.

The outtake where he asks about the son he never met is moving indeed.

And that's an outtake...

18. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

While I didn't think Open Range was fantastic (IMHO it was pretty good - I was expecting 'fantastic' but then again after all the hype I was looking forward to a western of Fordian proportions. Unrealistic really) I'll agree with the rest of what Ernest said. I was left fairly flat by The Missing. BTW, add Walter Hill's overlooked Wild Bill to the list of excellent westerns of the '90s - damn good.

19. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

While I didn't think Open Range was fantastic (IMHO it was pretty good - I was expecting 'fantastic' but then again after all the hype I was looking forward to a western of Fordian proportions. Unrealistic really) I'll agree with the rest of what Ernest said. I was left fairly flat by The Missing. BTW, add Walter Hill's overlooked Wild Bill to the list of excellent westerns of the '90s - damn good.

20. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I was extremely disappointed with The Missing. Open Range was not quite as good as I expected, based for the most part on what I had read here at HTF, but still a far superior film.

Tommy Lee Jones' character seemed both underwritten and inconsistently portrayed.