What's new

The “missing” Doris Day movie! (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I do! It's not currently hooked up, but I keep it pretty close by so that I can press it into service if necessary.

Come to think of it, my sister has one of those DVD/VHS combo players (which she rarely uses and has no intention of upgrading to blu). I usually bring some movies up to watch for Christmas (I live in L.A., she lives in the San Francisco area) but for some reason, the machine will not play Warners MOD discs or region free DVDs. Go figure!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Come to think of it, my sister has one of those DVD/VHS combo players (which she rarely uses and has no intention of upgrading to blu). I usually bring some movies up to watch for Christmas (I live in L.A., she lives in the San Francisco area) but for some reason, the machine will not play Warners MOD discs or region free DVDs. Go figure!

Warner Archive actually does warn on their website - or at least they used to - that MOD discs may not play on certain DVD recorders. I think it has something to do with the copy protection utilized. For not playing region free discs, that's a little surprising, it could be that the discs have an improper flag somewhere in the authoring that is confusing the player.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Do people still have VHS players? :) Anyway, I don't have one and even my laser disc player has gone to laser heaven (though I suppose it's still repairable).

I have several working VHS players and I use one of them quite often. I have tons of things I want to see that I only have on VHS. And many are not available in any other format.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have two working VHS players. All of the stage shows that I appeared in during the 1980s and 1990s were videotaped, and I have never bothered to have them transferred to DVD. I also have a few videotapes of Deanna Durbin movies, a homemade copy of Lady in the Dark with Ginger Rogers, and other unreleased on disc items that I find the VHS players useful for.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I have two VHS players, one hooked up and stored away. I use it also for movies and shows that are only released on VHS back in the day.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Heavens, I still have about 500 vhs tapes. They include a lot of old off-air tapings of movies that remain extremely uncommon, like "Security Risk" (1954), "The Man is Armed" (1956), "The Cruel Tower" (1956), or some old tv-series that still never made it to dvd, like "Empire" (1962-63) or "The Dick Powell Show" (1961-63). Plus, there are just so many movies I obtained on tape which not only have never been released, but likely haven't even aired anywhere in well over 30 years... films like "Lady Bodyguard" (1941), "Her Adventurous Night" (1946), "Florida Special" (1936), "Killer at Large" (1947), "No More Women" (1934), "Yellow Fin" (1951), and so many, many others.

True, the quality of those old tapes now looks pretty lamentable on these new hi-def sets. But I still need a VCR to access all that stuff.

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
I have about 1800 VHS and Betamax tapes and for a smallish number of titles on them, that is my only source to see obscure, unreleased films. Better on a DVD or a BluRay? Absolutely, but beggars can't be choosers!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I have two working VHS players. All of the stage shows that I appeared in during the 1980s and 1990s were videotaped, and I have never bothered to have them transferred to DVD.

I have several tapes on VHS that I really should get transferred to DVD as I have no way of playing them. They include my first professional job (a local commercial), the first movie where I had lines and a videotape of a stage production of Twelfth Night where I played Sir Andrew Aguecheek, my favorite part.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I have about 1800 VHS and Betamax tapes and for a smallish number of titles on them, that is my only source to see obscure, unreleased films. Better on a DVD or a BluRay? Absolutely, but beggars can't be choosers!

Oh I absolutely hear you! I have many P&S and public domain DVDs (scratches, poor color, soft transfers etc.) in my collection because as you say, it's the only source to see certain films. Sure, I'd like spiffed up restored versions in their original aspect ratio but until that happens, they'll have to do. For me, it's always about the movie rather than the demand for perfection. When I see a remark (like I've actually read on the HTF) like "Oh, after blu rays, I simply cannot watch DVDs anymore!", I have to scratch my head. To me, that is not a true film lover who will enjoy watching a favorite film on a P&S VHS or mediocre transfer on DVD if that's the only way.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Oh I absolutely hear you! I have many P&S and public domain DVDs (scratches, poor color, soft transfers etc.) in my collection because as you say, it's the only source to see certain films. Sure, I'd like spiffed up restored versions in their original aspect ratio but until that happens, they'll have to do. For me, it's always about the movie rather than the demand for perfection. When I see a remark (like I've actually read on the HTF) like "Oh, after blu rays, I simply cannot watch DVDs anymore!", I have to scratch my head. To me, that is not a true film lover who will enjoy watching a favorite film on a P&S VHS or mediocre transfer on DVD if that's the only way.
Well said, Thomas. The only way I can get to see The Hell With Heroes is by playing a DVD-R I made by transferring a VHS off-air TV recording to disc.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I remember when we had to use "rabbit ears" to get the best reception, which was none too good for certain channels, and then watch the movie pan-and-scanned with commercials and cut to fit a two-hour time slot. That was how I first saw CITY FOR CONQUEST (1940) and it remains one of my favorite movies. (Although I have it on DVD now.)

pebro

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Brogan
I saw it with my family at Radio City Music Hall in August, 1968, during its first week. It broke all records and even as a barely teen, I laughed. I thought the sleeping potion scene was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen and the 6,000 people in the audience, seemed to agree. I also remember that at the beginning of the film when the credits were shown (The principals were seen with their name), the entire theater burst into applause when Doris was shown.

Attachments

• lightswentoutfacebook.jpg
    lightswentoutfacebook.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 133

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I have one video machine tucked away, just in case I ever find a special VHS tape which I've mislaid somehow. Then of course I'll dup it to DVD straight away.
The tape (which I've never seen in any other format) is of the great baritone Ruggero Raimondi is of a TV special he made entitled 'Six Characters in Search of a Singer' . This twist on Pirandello has Raimondi singing famous arias in totally splendid settings and stagings. Vocal and visual bliss.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
What is that? ^^

Is that running time accurate because that's too short even for a PAL speed up. Is it a bootleg?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks