What's new

The missing connector (1 Viewer)

DennisF

Grip
I have an ancient CRT TV, and I've been playing it cagey with the HDTV offerings. My LW and I dropped into CC the other day and like many other were blown away by the Sony 2nd gen WEGA RP LCDs. WE WANT ONE.

So I started doing research, like reading the manual. Amidst the forest of connectors on the back of this unit, I noticed that something is missing.

There is no Video Out.

In fact, they brag on the DVI connector that "prevents piracy".

What gives? (Analog) Video Out has been around forever. And as for preventing piracy, so long as I use some source that is switched by the pre/pro, I can get a digital or analog video signal to record. (Can you spell that instrument of crime, "TIVO"?)

How common is this lack of a Video Out among HD sets nowadays, and what are the corresponding issues with HD receivers, which I haven't researched yet?

DennisF

Grip
It's for the VCR, in the case of my existing TV. Two sets of yellow/red/white output connectors. The idea is to provide the output of the TV tuner - one with fixed audio level, the other that tracks the TV volume - to a recording device. Yes there is a tuner in my VCR, but the TV one is better, and I don't have to split the RF or cable box signal.
Consequentially, I can record from DVD to VCR since the TV spits out what the DVD puts in.

I take it then, that no one has Video Outs from the monitor?

Neil White

Supporting Actor
My KDP-57WS550 has 'monitor out' in addition to the audio outs as does another TV of mine I believe. I've never used it but it is there.

N

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks