The misinformation of the low-fat high carb diet

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chet_F, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Here is an interesting, all encompassing article on the misinformation givin to the public in the early 80's in reference to the low fat high carb diet. Read what you will into the article. It has some very interesting info I have been trying to infrom people about for a few years.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/ma...l?pagewanted=1

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Yep, great article! I posted a link to it in the weight support group threads too.

I'm still amazed that the food pyramid scheme was adopted by the US government (and Canada 20 years ago too, I think). My personal experiences with gaining weight is completely consistent with the high-carb-low-fat methodology.

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I began a diet back in April to lose weight. I have normal cholesterol levels and no indication of heart disease, though I do have a strong family history.

So, I wasn't worried too much about my fat intake, though I'm careful to get my cholesterol/blood pressure checked at least twice a year (and I didn't fail to notice that Dr. Atkins now suffers from heart disease).

For my diet, I cut out as many carbs as possible, which for me primarily took the form of pastas, rice, potatos, and breads of all types (you know, the "foundation" of the food pyramid), as well as a slight reduction in sugar intake (never was much on sweets, but I do take sugar in my coffee).

I eat mostly chicken, turkey, fish, lean beef and raw or slightly cooked green vegetables and lots of tomatoes, with the occasional pasta and baguette splurge - and I'm now 18-lbs lighter!

4. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I guess if you follow the food pyramid you end up looking like a pyramid. [​IMG]
    Great article. When will the medical community see the "lite." [​IMG]

5. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Great article. [​IMG]
    My experiences match the common experiences - I put on weight easily with bread, potatoes, and pasta. I did the whole low-fat, high-carb food pyramid thing for a while. I felt absolutely miserable, had no energy, and put on weight. Near the end, I felt like I was living in a fog.
    I now eat a low-carb diet and don't worry about fat at all. I've never felt better. There's nothing that would entice me to ever eat that other type of diet again. (But I do wish my "potato-tooth" could be turned off like my sweet-tooth and "bread-tooth" seem to have been. [​IMG] )
    Folks who are interested might wish to read either "Protein Power" or "Protein Power Lifeplan" by Dr. Dan and Mary Eades. They propose pretty much the same diet as Atkins, but they come across a lot better than Atkins and they go into much more detail about how and why biologically this is the type of diet we should all eat.

6. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

I'm starting a no carb diet. My father is a diabetic and has to watch his carbs as they break down into sugar thus not being good for him. He told me if I cut out most of my carbs and ate more things with a high protein content that I would be okay. (I'm hypoglycemic) opposite end of the board from him but I still have to watch what I eat and my sugar as eating bad things can make it actually not rise but lower and crash. (I test my blood sugar daily) So I'm hoping that this diet will work. I'm not heavy by any means but would like to drop about 5 pounds and tone up. I'll let you guys know if it worked. I'm also drinking lots of water. I found out good news today, cheese has NO carbs in it. It does however have a high amount of fat content so I'll still have to take it easy on the cheese....and darn I love cheese. [​IMG]

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Considering how many people seem to have had success with no-carb diets, I'm surprising that the medical community haven't really validated it until now.

I lost 40 lbs by eating less of everything, but mostly eating low-fat and low-cal foods. I ate quite a bit of high-carb foods (I love potatoes and bread). So I guess the "traditiona;" diets work too. I just couldn't follow a diet that prohibits me from eating certain kinds of foods, like a no-carb diet.

/Mike

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

9. Mark Schermerhorn

Mark Schermerhorn Second Unit

Personally I lost 50 lbs by dropping the fat in my diet to a very minimal amount, and increasing the carbs and protein. I will admit that initially, this diet made me want to eat more (with an initial spike in weight, just a few pounds), but as my body became used to it, I ate less. I'm a carb addict and can't see living on a low carb diet. I feel balanced nutritionally and physically.

However, the key to losing weight for me wasn't the shift in the type of calories I take in, it's the fact that I started EATING LESS and WORKING OUT a lot more.

I'm sure the low carb diet works fine for some people, but the Atkins diet scares me for other reasons. Remember, there is a lot more to your health than just your weight. At the same time, I don't deny that excess carb intake will make you fat as well. I think one of America's big diet problems is all the freakin' soda we drink. All those cans of pop add tons of calories that you tend to not think twice about. I cut soda way back in my diet as well. It's too bad our society has become so polarized on this issue, to the point of little meaningful debate, at least in the public forum.

Whatever happened to "burn more calories than you eat" ??

10. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

11. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

12. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Julie:

Yes, I read the article in the Magazine on Sunday.

What bothers me, and I think Mark as well, is that everyone wants to talk about the perfect diet, while no one wants to talk about the fact that they're not losing weight when not exercising.

I hear comments like, "I'm eating better, but I'm still fat!" from people who haven't stepped outside in months. And it just makes me wish that people would be willing to talk about their lifestyle rather than the fact that it's suddenly "okay" to eat a cheeseburger without bread.

13. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

14. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

15. Chris Lock

Chris Lock Second Unit

> Whatever happened to "burn more calories than you eat" ??

That went out with "eating eggs gives you high cholesterol".

If only it were that simple, a lot of us would be thinner. If the calorie theory were correct, I should be burning about 2500/day sitting still. So I should be able to lose a lb a week by eating 2000/day. Doesn't work.

Exercise has very little to do with it if you take the theory at face value, because the amount of calories burned by typical exercise is pretty low. Go look up how much you have to do to burn an extra 500 calories- you might be surprised.

Just about everyone I've ever heard who makes statements like "Just eat less" has turned out to be someone who never tried to lose weight.

I know thin people who eat & eat (& don't exercise a lot) who can't gain weight, & fat people who eat much less than you'd expect & cannot lose weight.

I think the truth is this is way more complicated than people think & that it varies from person to person. Some people have great success with certain diets, while others get no results. For some, the pills that are supposed to boost your metabolism work, but for others, they don't.

16. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

For those who like to drink diet coke, etc. please remember that the effect of diet drinks are the same on your body as sugared drinks. Your body releases insulin regardless. In other words, either quit drinking diet soda or drink it with your lunch or dinner.

17. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

18. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

19. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

20. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Burning calories while exercising to lose weight is just one part of the reason to exercise. Many don't understand that weight training, besides improving muscle, also increases metabolism.