What's new

The Mindy Project (Fox) - season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Mindy Kailing's new show premieres on Fox tonight at 9:30p.m. EDT. Not sure if I'll be able to take a half-hour of Mindy, but we shall see...

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Curious how this will turn out. Didn't watch it, but saw the final scene. I didn't think she was significant enough in The Office to warrant her own show.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Paul D G /t/324018/the-mindy-project-series-premiere-9-25-2012#post_3980197
Curious how this will turn out. Didn't watch it, but saw the final scene. I didn't think she was significant enough in The Office to warrant her own show.
From what I read, she was more than just an actor on The Office as she was a producer and writer on the show. Even this show, she is a producer and writer on it too so she probably has a pretty good relationship with network suits and was able to sell her series idea to them.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Robert Crawford said:
 From what I read, she was more than just an actor on The Office as she was a producer and writer on the show.  Even this show, she is a producer and writer on it too so she probably has a pretty good relationship with network suits and was able to sell her series idea to them.
She actually wrote a handful of good episodes of The Office.
I never really liked her character on The Office.
I was thought she was better utilized as a writer.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Meh.
It was cute. I'll give it another go.
And yes, Mindy was much more talented as writer and producer than her character led us to believe on the office.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I thought it was average at best.
I kept having Bridget Jone's Diary in my mind while watching this.
For right now I'll keep this show on the back burner, and if it becomes successful and I have time to watch it I'll revisit it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I saw the last bit of the show. From the ads I expected a sketch comedy show. But it was a middling drama, with the lead badly cast as a doctor? A little Ally McBeal without the spark to make it work?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The plot was very shaggy dog story, but there was a sharply funny line every time I started to doubt if the show had any merit. The clockwork nature of the lines made it feel like they went back through the pilot and punched up the episode with a joke every time it started flagging.

It was one of the better pilots this season. Considering the shaky nature of pilots in general, it was overall very good.

I will say -- couldn't Kelly have found a better date than Andy Bernard? That was kind of distracting.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think I find Mindy's acting annoying, maybe it's this character, as well as her character Kelly on "The Office" being too "one-note", but maybe the writing will be better on this show for her.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by JohnS /t/324018/the-mindy-project-series-premiere-9-25-2012#post_3980211
She actually wrote a handful of good episodes of The Office.
I never really liked her character on The Office.
I was thought she was better utilized as a writer.

Exactly. She might be a good writer, but as an actress/character on the show she didn't seem, to me, to stand out enough to warrant her own show. And title comes off as a space filler until a proper name could be found... and they forgot about it.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Usually with these kinds of characters there has to be something likable or endearing amid their various neuroses and flaws. I didn't really see anything that stood out, that said I should stick around to see how things develop. I'll probably give it one more viewing, but if it manages to stick around maybe I'll revisit down the road.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I found the second episode to be much better than the first episode/pilot. It was not as obnoxious, and there were more funny moments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks