What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

“The Millionaire” With a Laugh Track? (1 Viewer)

TheLogoGuy94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joshua
During today's episode of “The Millionaire” titled ‘Millionaire Harvey Blake’, I noticed something strange: this episode had a laugh track. Why would a drama series like this have a laugh track? Also, I hear that there is another episode with a laugh track. Why do you suppose CBS put a laugh track on a few episodes?

EDIT: OK, this question was a little “dumb”. The fact that an episode of a drama series having a laugh track confused me for some reason at first.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
This reminds me of the episode of The Twilight Zone that had a laugh track. It was the Carol Burnett episode, "Cavendar is Coming.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Neil Brock said:
Because they were comedic?
How can this be the Best Answer when it's a question?

However, knowing whose it is, the question mark doesn't denote that it's a guess, but rather -- well, you know.

TheLogoGuy94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joshua
Joe Lugoff said:
How can this be the Best Answer when it's a question?

However, knowing whose it is, the question mark doesn't denote that it's a guess, but rather -- well, you know.
Well, my question seems stupid. So I thought I'd just mark this as “solved” just to stop replies saying that it's comedic(!) Any other questions?

Mitchell Hadley

Auditioning
Not a stupid question at all, and I think it deserves a serious answer! I don't claim this to be definitive, just a hypothesis, but Ron referred to The Twilight Zone episode "Cavender is Coming" also having a laugh track - likely, this is because it was a pilot for a proposed sitcom. It didn't succeed, and Serling hated the laugh track, but as a pilot it's understandable why the network would try something like that. (Previously, Serling had another idea for a comedy series that he tried out on Zone without a laugh track, to no avail, so the network might have felt the laugh track would help.) Although inserting a laugh track might be somewhat unusual, we know that existing series were often used as proving grounds for possible new series, so based on that, my guess (and it's only a guess) is that this was the case here as well - the network using The Millionaire as a test for a pilot or proposed idea for a sitcom, and insisting on a laugh track to measure the idea's potential.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Almost all drama shows in that era felt the need from time to time to do comedic episodes. I find it to be annoying but there were comedic Defenders, Combat, Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, etc. Not all of them went as far as having a laugh track though.

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
Which I still find very refreshing and makes those series much less one dimensional, in my view. Of course, many of the westerns did so too. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not -The Route 66 series ending two parter was a famous disaster, but their Buster Keaton episode was great, for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale