"The Miles Davis Story" on BravoTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

not sure if anyone caught this last night, but it was a wonderful documentary on the man.

what i really liked was how the documentary was moved forward by people who knew him. the narrator didn't really have much to say.

it did a great job showing both the high-points and low-points in his life.

check it out if you can.

http://schedule.bravotv.com/sched/daily

2. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

I saw this last night and thought it was pretty well done. Two full hours on Miles' life with some very inciteful interviews. [​IMG]

3. Ian Lascell

Ian Lascell Agent

What a rotten guy! I always hate it when somebody I look up to for their music or acting turns out to be a real jerk. The guy from Radiohead was a big disappointment to me to. I guess genius doesn't always spread into all parts of a person.

That being said, it was a good show. I especially liked the focus on Miles recruiting young musicians to always keep on the cutting edge. The show seemed to indicate these relationships as symbiotic. The young musicians get to work with Miles--their big break. They also learned quite a bit. But the show also inferred that much of his success as a trailblazer could be attributed to these amazing young musicians who mostly went on to have great careers on their own. His relationship early on with Coltrane was also very interesting.

I'm glad I caught it. I would love to see similar specials on other jazz musicians. One thing is for sure, they didn't sugar-coat anything and I appreciate that.

4. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Caught it, and thought it was really well done. I, as always, would have liked a greater focus on the music, but I guess that was not the point. For someone like myself who only has a few Davis albums, I would have liked to hear in-depth articulation on some of the major and minor works of his prolific career.