The middle of the end for The West Wing

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Lee Jamilkowski, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Lee Jamilkowski

Lee Jamilkowski Stunt Coordinator

2. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I'm kind of glad. Last season was a bore.

3. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

Sigh. A once great show fades away, and I don't really care. I still watch it, but I usually sit there and wonder why.

4. ToddF

ToddF Agent

Todd Fredericks
    I find it's almost impossible to watch West Wing because NBC keeps pushing Law & Order episodes in it's time slot. Whatever happened to the days of one show, one time slot, 'nuff said??

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Bummer. I'd hoped to see it through Bartlett's full two terms. [​IMG]

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, it's not like you're missing new West Wings for that; just chooses not to repeat it.

As to why - serialized shows repeat badly. This year, NBC is actually planning to yank The West Wing off the air mid-season and run another show between February and May sweeps.

7. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

Story-wise, are they necessarily going to truncate Bartlet's term? One season doesn't have to match with one year in TV-time, so they might just be less season(weather)-specific and accelerate the last two years of his term; or end it just shy of the end, perhaps with anointing the new Democratic candidate.

I was wondering, if they do show the end of his term, how? Inauguration of his successor? Would his successor be Dem or Rep? If Dem, his VP? (Is there one now? I've only watched up to S4. If Hoynes were still Veep it'd be a nice touch.)

8. Tim Gerdes

Tim Gerdes Second Unit

I think perhaps that the Washington Post misinterpreted the original quote and drew some wild conclusions from there.

A few months ago I remember reading that John Wells was looking at different ways to shift the timelines for upcoming seasons of the show, so that it could conceivably run for more than eight years, with the idea that one season wouldn't need to represent one year of the Bartlet administration.

The actual quote from NBC in the Post doesn't necessarily dispute this:

"Not business as usual" could mean that they're going to show more stories that take place as flashback, in Bartlet's first year, or as President Elect or as a candidate.

The fifth season was a shell of its former self without Sorkin. I can't imagine that it would be anything but terrible if they eliminated Bartlet and his staff and gave us a new administration.

It would certainly destroy any remaining reason for this viewer to keep watching.

No Sorkin + No Bartlet = No West Wing

9. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

Yeah, that makes sense. But, the show has been historically expensive to produce, and has slipped in the ratings. We might be running into an Angel type situation where it's not that the show isn't performing well enogh, it's that it's not performing well enough with relation to its cost.

The only reprieve it may receive is if it picks up another Emmy for best Drama which it is still a front-runner for. NBC would be crazy to let go the reigning Emmy champ.

10. Tim Gerdes

Tim Gerdes Second Unit

Clarifying his origin statement about the end of Bartlet's administration, Reilly was further quoted at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:

Here's the relevant part from the article:

I tried to link the url in the message but it didn't work. Full story is here:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/ent...st+Wing,%22+it's+not+the+economy,+stupid%3B+it's+the+rati

11. Ben Silva

Ben Silva Stunt Coordinator

I don't understand why everyone is carping about how bad West Wing was last season. Sure some of Sorkin's witty banter and irreverence was gone but West Wing is still a powerful engaging drama. It's worst episode is still better than most shows best.

12. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate

Won't happen. With all the talk about how much the show fell off last season, it won't have much momentum for best drama -- that honor will go to the Sopranos, which had a very strong year.

Replacing the cast of the WW won't do anything but alienate the viewers that are remaining. Same goes with stunts and action-adventure stories. The viewers who made that show a success tuned in to see extraordinary writing and acting, not exploding helicopters and kidnappings.