The Michael Jackson music-only thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher P, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

All this talk about Jackson and hardly anyone is discussing what he is famous for (other than weirdness): his music. I am wondering what music fans here think of his contributions to the world of music.

I've never been a Jackson fan. I'm 26, so I was growing up during the decade of the 80's and the over-indulgent video production. Obviously I wasn't around during his Jackson 5 days, but remember the days of Bad, Thriller, and the like. In the 90's I sort of tuned out to music of the day, so I'm not too familiar with any of his more recent works.

What do you all think of his musical talents? I personally don't tend to give him much credit. He doesn't play an instrument, his singing voice is fine I guess, but I don't like his music anyway. He can dance I suppose, but does that validate him as a musician? I've never seen a live show, so I don't know how well of an entertainer he is. So talk to me, discuss what your opinions are on Jackson's musical history.

Chris

2. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

All of the Jacksons play music instruments - they were a band as the Jackson 5 that played alot of nightclub gigs as youngsters. That's how they got their start. I think everyone knows this except you. Be careful Christopher, you're showing your age.[​IMG]

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

when mj was in his heydey i hated him. but i attribute that more to my narrow mind than anything else. at the time i was a fiendish alternative snob.

anyway, now i really like his older stuff. off the wall, beat it, billie jean, the way you make me feel, etc...they're all really good songs. they have a good beat and are very listenable. i often find myself boppin' my head and foot. [​IMG]

plus, the guy definitely has star power.

yes, he may have some personal issues, but i think his talent as a musician/singer/performer is right up there.

4. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Cinematographer

Josh Dial
    MJ does damn fine vocal persussion. If you listen in Billie Jean, most of the synth-sounding music is actually Jackson using his voice to make those sounds.

cheers!

Josh

5. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

I suppose answering this question really depends on one's definition of "musician." As we've seen time and time again, one's musical ability (e.g. playing an instrument well) has nothing to do with success as a musician in the pop music world. I think of Michael Jackson as a pop star/performer first, a producer/marketer second, and a musician third. He is extraordinarily talented as a performer and a singer, and his talents were evident at a very young age. Unfortunately, he never had the musical talent of someone like Stevie Wonder who is deservedly well respected for his vocal, musical, and composition talents even though he started early. Jackson's talents as a performer and a marketer kept him in the limelight for a long, long time. I have to wonder if the recent publicity we're seeing is just a continuation of a marketing strategy. His music continues to sell strongly, stronger after the docu-drama, even though he hasn't put out a well-reviewed CD in years. I'm not a big fan because his music never fit with my taste, but he sure is entertaining--I didn't know Bubbles knew how to use and flush. I'm not sure it's even relevant to question his talents as a musician. After all, by the same standards, Elvis wasn't really a great musician and the Fab Four (with the exception of Ringo) weren't all that gifted as musicians (in the instrument playing sense) either. Their main talents also lay elsewhere.

6. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

I was a Michael Jackson fan back in the day starting with him in the JACKSON 5. If there are anythings about Michael's talent that is indisputable is that the man can sing and dance! He has a lethal amount of talent. Michael invented moves that are still being copied today. Michael CAN sing!! If you really take the time to listen to him it's obvious his singing talent! Definitely can sing if you compare him to the other Jacksons.

I've always looked upon Michael as a consumate performer! Excitement if the word to use! As far as a songwriter goes...maybe a little suspect in that category. Don't know that he's a musician at all?

I must admit I haven't listen to Michael in years now and the last song of his I liked was REMEMBER THE TIME. My not following him is his personal life. He's weird, actually beyond that but that's another thread! However, there's no denying that man's talent!

David

7. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

dupe

8. Brian Perry

Billie Jean: Pure genius, one of the best songs ever written

Beat It: Listenable

Everything else: Forget about it

To this day, I maintain that Billie Jean was responsible for 80% of Thriller's success (though impossible to prove). The other 20% was due to it being one of the last big albums released prior to the advent of CD, and many sales were repeat buyers who had worn through their vinyl. [​IMG]

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

10. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Billie Jean was also on Thriller, which brought MTV videos into the limelight for the first time. There was a lot of revolution occuring in the music industry during the early 80's. "Music" was no longer mere audio, but slick video appearence as well. MJ was positioned to take full advantage of the "style" component in this new music scene. The Thriller video was incredible for it's day, and still holds up pretty well in Y2k+3.

No doubt he is a great performer and singer, but is he a musician/composer ? I'm not a fan, but I'm not being facetious - just asking. Does he compose any lyrics or music to his songs ? I thought Quincy Jones was the main musician/composer for his work, but could be wrong.

11. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

12. Kevin Alexander

13. Piers C

Piers C Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone have Thriller on SACD? How's this release?

14. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Kevin, that's not fair. One doesn't need to be a platinum-level recording artist in order to write or post good criticism of said artist's work.

15. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

16. Kevin Alexander

17. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I really like Michael Jackson's music. The majority of his success, and my favorite tunes come from three albums. OFF THE WALL, THRILLER, and BAD. Whe I was a wee lad, the first song I claimed as a favorite was "Beat It."

The movie MOONWALKER is great retrospective that captures MJ at the height of his fame, and if you ever forgot why he was so famous, check it out. My fav MJ tunes, in no particular order, are

Dont Stop Until You get Enough
    State of Shock
    Thriller
    Speed Demon
    Just Leave Me Alone
    Beat It
    Billie Jean

18. Brian Perry

19. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

Off the Wall, Thriller, were both brilliant pop albums. Bad had it's moments, but I think it was a bit off. Michael's biggest mistake musically was leaving Quincy Jones as a producer. Quincy produces for the long term, not flavor of the month. And I think that Bruce Swedien is possibly one of the greatest engineers alive. His sound is impeccable.

Michael, who sadly is having a really rough time of it these days, is an incredible singer, performer, musician, and especially dancer! There are very few people who can sing with his range, timing, rhythm, and vibe.

20. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor