The Michael Jackson interview thread.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    What did everyone think of it?

Personally, he came off to me the same way he did the interviewer, honest about most things, evasive and dishonest about the rest. Not surprisingly, the most disturbing was his relationship with the children who stayed at his Neverland property.

Just as was said, he can't seem to grasp the concept that he is in fact an adult, and that behaviour of that type is not appropriate for a man his age. His relationship with the cancer survivor was extremly disturbing to me, particularly when he was holding the boys hand and he had his head resting on Michael's shoulder, that just struck me to be very strange.

Well, i'll let you guys and gals take it from here.

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I thought most of the coverage of his infatuation with children to be quite disturbing. On the other hand, I found the footage of his suite in Vegas to be profoundly comical. I especially loved how the camera moved around the room showing all these oddities and ending up fixated on a maid's dress hanging on a rack...and with no verbal commentary, leaving you to draw your own conclusions. [​IMG]

3. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Yeah, that "maid uniform" shot had me rolling.

That was quite bizarre. It was fascinating and uncomfortable from start to finish. The Vegas shopping section was one of the more bizarre form of excess I've ever seen. It looked like it was out of a bad Hollywood focused movie.

The worst of the entire interview had to be him with his baby on his knee. Cringeworthy, and I was sort of rooting for the interviewer to take the baby away from him before he shook her to injury.

4. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I enjoyed the ABC documentary.

Very entertaining, but parts (of course) disturbing as well.

Yeah, the "baby being shaken incessantly on the knee" scene was a bit unsettling. But, after the child "grabbed hold", he seemed quite content.

Didn't everybody want to be in Jackson's shoes on that amazing Shopping Mall excursion?? (Only I wouldn't give three cents for most of the "priceless" and rare items Michael was feverishly snapping up.)

I envisioned myself being in his shoes (and, of course, with the $6-Million check in my pocket [​IMG]), but inside of a Best Buy, instead of "Upper Crust Trinkets For Millionaires R Us". [​IMG]

I wouldn't mind having that nice $89,000 chess set though. [​IMG]

Just think of the HT gear that could be had for 6-mill.!!

What did you think of Michael's Home Theater? Not too shabby. Though hard to see the details in the darkened shots provided. (He's probably got two or three of those Theaters.)

Bottom line on Jackson (IMO) would = It's NOBODY'S business what he does with his life. It's his to lead as he sees fit.

Having uttered the above sentence, I'll feel the need to qualify it with: As long as he poses NO harm whatsoever to anyone else! Quite naturally, IF he's not being forthright and honest about there being no hanky-panky with children EVER, then obviously the rights and well-being of other human beings enter the equation.

But, apart from the "children" angle of his story, he should be able to do what he wants and not be undermined for it. If he chooses to act like a child again, so be it. It's HIS life.

The only part I hated was the filmmaker's totally unnecessary "personal" comments attacking Jackson during ABC's "Prime Time" program (after the actual documentary).
    "[Michael] should grow up", chimes filmmaker Martin Bashir. Sure, he's entitled to his opinion, as is everyone. But I thought it would have been MUCH more appropriate for him to have kept his trap shut on the personal comments, and simply let his excellent film do the talking. Let the viewers draw their own conclusions.
    But, like I say (and is quite rightly so), he IS entitled to his own opinions on Mr. Jackson. I just disliked hearing them from the filmmaker's own lips so soon after digesting his fine documentary.

There's no question, Mr. Jackson is quite "different" from your average Joe Schmoe on the street. But, so what? I have to admire his courage to put up with Bashir's cameras for 8 months, and for the courage to have his entire guts spilled before an International audience.

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

6. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Jackson's had his own 35mm theater since at least the early 80s. Given his germ phobia, I'm sure he purchases prints rather than taking his children to a theater

8. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I couldn't agree more, I shudder to imagine what may be going on in that place when nobody's watching. A place like that, with a man who lives on secrecy, somethings fishy about the whole deal to me.

Michael's heart is definitly in the right place, lord knows we need more love in the world, however his mind is stunted and his actions and views are thus distorted. I believe the interviewer was right on with voicing his concerns after the special, you have to remember that we weren't their, we didn't see everything he saw, if he lived wth Michael for 8 month and saw and heard things that were alarming to him I would have to listen and take very seriously what he has to say about the man.

Besides, it was his job to report his findings to the world, he didn't do all that just to keep everything he saw and heard to himself. I actually never realized just how deeply troubled the king of pop, the man I idolized as a kid having grown up when Thriller was such a smash, really was until tonight.

It just goes to show you that money cannot buy happiness.

9. StevenW

StevenW Second Unit

That scene of him feeding the baby with the vail was extremely uneasy for me to watch.

10. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Michael Jackson is a freak and his children growing up in isolation from the real world with such a freaky father are destined to become freaks too.

11. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

I got the impression that Michael was nervous about the camera ZOOMING IN on his baby's face (which it did do at one point, rather clearly revealing what it looked like) as he was trying to feed it. The filmmaker wasn't helping things, trying to pull the veil out of its face. Obviously Michael was uncomfortable having his kids in front of the camera in the first place (they didn't get much on-camera time), and here the guy is questioning Michael's parenting skills AND trying to pull the veil up off the baby's face while a camera is focusing in? Of course Michael is going to exhibit some nerves. He didn't have enough hands to hold the baby, feed the baby, keep the veil down, and answer questions...

12. andrew markworthy

The documentary was on Brit TV earlier this week (it's the same interviewer who did the famous Princess Diana interview). Our papers and TV news have been full of the possible child abuse angle ever since. I knew it was coming on American TV a few days later - I did think of starting a thread saying 'watch this!' but guessed it would be well-publicised.

Interestingly, it was reported a couple of days ago that (UK) sales of Jackson's albums showed a significant increase following the broadcast of the programme.

13. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

To be honest, I think I view Michael as being "less weird" after seeing the documentary program than I did before viewing its contents.

Although, the doc. did contain some weird stuff. Like the mannequin-filled Las Vegas hotel suite. WTF?? [​IMG]

Why on Earth would somebody place a mannequin of the Jolly Green Giant in their hotel room? (A constant reminder to eat his spinach perhaps? [​IMG])

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Keeping his kids masked in public probably has more to do with concerns of them being potential kidnapping victims.

I still had to laugh when the interviewer asked Jackson how much he was worth, squeezed out a number (over a $billion) out of Jackson, and then Babwa Wah-wah then volunteers that he can't be worth no more than $200-$300 million. Classic yellow journalism.

15. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

I thought the most surreal moment for me was when Michael got upset toward the very end of the interview about the current state of children. "The family bond has been broken in the world. Parents don't even talk to their kids today."

Of course these comments came on the heals of Jackson basically explaining that his children's mothers were simply surrogate hosts that were paid to give birth and will never have a role in the lives of those kids.

Gimme a break! This guy has no grasp on reality!

Peace,

DM

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

He can afford to not have a grasp on reality. What he's been doing has been very very selfish (kids not seeing their birth mother).

17. Bryce Miner

Bryce Miner Stunt Coordinator

That's right. Isn't "Mother" part of the family unit? I was taken back by thinking wow, this guy is 44 years old and acts like he's 10. I guess that's part of the Peter Pan thing he had going on.

18. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

This whole thing made me so sad.

Michael is a real victim, a victim of selfish parents, of a culture that eagerly ingests celebrities and then spits them out, and of his own huge talent, which brought him enormous fame and money and then punished him for having them.

He clearly is still a child, in his heart and mind, and his obvious lies seem the lies of a child, trying hard (against all evidence) to cover up his follies. His cosmetic appearance would be heartbreaking if he would own up to it. Instead, it's just horrifying.

I don't know if he's really doing anything to children, except being a big, weird friend. I hope he doesn't adopt all those international children, because he really isn't a good father, at all. He's no more than a fun, but useless older brother.

But his example (like Elvis and O.J. and Phil Spector, among others) shows what happens to humans with money and power but no real career or family -- they're bored beyond belief, and their minds turn inward, finally succumbing to schizophrenia, paranoia, and death. I'm not surprised about Phil and I wouldn't be surprised if Michael had a violent or shocking end to his story. And Prince and Janet and Madonna and Eminem and P.Diddy and Ben and JLo better watch out. Work and family are the only things that hold someone together.

Michael obviously wants a family, but not as a Dad, but as some kind of weird babysitter. Prince seems to working hard, and Madonna is having her own family -- so I would say they are protecting themselves against the onslaught of old age and mental instability better than Michael.

19. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Is Michael kinda weird? Of course. Did he stumble with his kids? You betcha. I'm sure they have their own personal attendants to see to their every need. If you don't deal with your kids every day and then try to go on tv as a regular dad you're bound to screw up.

But people, don't be so damn gullible! WE SAW 1.5 HOURS OF FOOTAGE FROM 8 MONTHS OF WORK! We're in the reality TV era folks, only the controversial stuff makes it to the final cutting room. I always apply some skepticism to the media.

20. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

While I was somewhat disturbed by MJ's "parenting skills", I came away feeling sorry for the guy. He's obviously trying to get his childhood back by acting the way he does.