What's new

The MGM "please re-issue these DVDs" thread. Post your lists! (1 Viewer)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Here's my basic wishlist for Special Editions/Upgrades/Revisions/First Releases and the lot:
(I just enjoy making lists.);)

Hackers
Raising Arizona
Rob Roy
RONIN - Region 1 Special Edition 2-Disc!
Tank Girl

I'll keep on updating this list...

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
You know, I'm not going to ask for much MGM. In fact, I'm not going to ask you for anything that costs either much money or effort. All I ask is that discs you've already done a great job on in other countries be released here. That's not to much to ask, is it? We need R1 one releases of the following exisiting 2 disc SEs:
* Rollerball
* Misery
* Ronin
* Fistful of Dollars
* For a Few Dollars More
* Fistful of Dynamite
* Fish Called Wanda
* Terminator: Ultimate Edition (with the new documentaries, HD master, and DTS-ES soundtrack)

Some other single disc releases that need releasing here:
* Robocop (available as a single disc with option to view both versions of the film)
* The Dark Half
* Manhunter (released as a glorious widescreen disc with DTS sound in Japan)

Again MGM, everything I've listed above you have already released elsewhere. It would take minimal effort and money to make it available here.

-Lyle J.P.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Lyle,

Terminator is one of the announced Blu-ray titles. So keep that in mind...I'd pass on any new DVD even if it were made available...go right to full 1080P HD with lossless audio!!!

dave :)

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Thanks Dave, but I won't be buying any Hi-Def discs until the following two things happen:

* The format war is over and there is a clear winner.
* The giant 65 inch CRT component-input-only white elephant in my living room is replaced.

Until then, no sale. :)

-Lyle J.P.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Without hijacking this thread into a flame-worthy HD debate :D allow me to suggest:
  1. Wait to buy any HD format until you feel the dust has settled enough to make you comfortable.
  2. keep in mind that even downconverted 480P or 540P analog from an HD-disc deck will TOTALLY SMOKE any DVD anywhere, anytime. This is because you'll be seeing a well-compressed image with virtually no pre-filtering, unlike the typical 480P DVD image which only provides about HALF of the full vertical resolution possible in the 720 x 480 format because of studio filtering prior to compression.

In fact, downconverted HD on your white-elephant HD set with only analog input will probably look better than most 1080I HD signals that impress you right now.
  3. Did I mention that the studio that owns Terminator (Sony/MGM) WILL NOT BE FORCING DOWNRESING ON COMPONENT OUTPUT??? Disney, Fox, and Sony/MGM will be providing FULL 1080I via component output on all their Blu-ray titles.

I shouldn't even have to tell you that even the legacy DTS bitstream off of an HD disc will *also* totally smoke any DD/DTS on any DVD that you own.

My viewpoint:

Build a library of movies that have better quality than your display gear so that as you upgrade your hardware, they look and sound better and better.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Ooops, time to add two more MGM discs available in many other countries, but not here.

Platoon 2-disc Ultimate Edition
In addition to all previously available extras (including the "Tour of the Inferno" documentary), this new UE also includes:
* New HD transfer
* DTS sound
* "One War, Many Stories" documentary (24:29)
* "Preparation For The Nam" featurette (6:20)

Silence of the Lambs 2-disc Ultimate Edition
In addition to all previously available extras (including the great "Inside the Labyrinth" documentary), this new UE also includes:
* New HD transfer
* DTS sound
* "The Silence of the Lambs: The Beginning" featurette with Jonathan Demme and Jodie Foster (15:31)
* "Jonathan Demme & Jodie Foster: Making The Silence of the Lambs" featurette (26:00)
* "Jonathan Demme & Jodie Foster: Breaking the Silence" featurette (8:49)
* "Scoring the Silence" featurette with Howard Shore (15:19)
* "A Wealth of Talent" featurette (18:51)
* "Preparetion and Authenticity" featurette (20:41)

Of course, it would be nice if MGM fixed the opening credits problem with this new UE before they released it here. But hey, who am I kidding, they'll never release it here.:frowning:

-Lyle J.P.

ted:r

Second Unit
Since I think "Chilly Scenes Of Winter" is owned ny MGM (having being released by UA)...I ask, most humbly, please...

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
How about some rerelease of the Midnight Movie classics? So many of the Corman/Poe/Price/Karloff collaborations are going to ludicrious prices on eBay.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
A rehash of what's already been said but can't be repeated enough because of the magnitude and importance of these films in the M-G-M library and their lackluster transfers on DVD:

Please re-issue ALL of the KUBRICK, BILLY WILDER & WOODY ALLEN titles along with Night Of The Hunter!

And please fix your garbage transfer of Midnight Cowboy because your "Special Edition" STINKS and is only a step above the sucky old non-anamorphic disc!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
New special editions of the Kubricks would be fine. The Killing needs to be 1.75:1 and Paths of Glory should be 1.85:1. Both anamorphic!

Woody Allen's Annie Hall could use a 16x9 remaster, too. Since he doesn't like extras or anything other than mono, how about PCM for the audio track?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
How so, since Return is released by Universal/Focus? My box set didn't come with Return, although I'm working on putting then all together in a custom set.

Roco

Agent
Real Name
Larry
the one I would like to see is exodus and excellent Paul Newman movie it needs to be enhanced for 16 x 9 tv's.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
UA has theatrical and certain music rights (as parts of the Return score are on MGM's compilation of Pink Panther music), but ITC/Granada holds other rights. Thus, it ended up as part of the package that Universal has DVD rights to.

Besides being bare-bones, at least Universal gave it an A+ remaster.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Some more to add to the list:

- Darling (1965)

- The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)

- The Knack... And How to Get It (1965)

- Girl With Green Eyes (1964)

- Look Back In Anger (1969)

- The Charge Of The Light Brigade (1968)

- Saturday Night And Sunday Morning (1961)

- How I Won The War (1967) - Re-issue!!! (Has this title been deleted or discontinued??)

- The Party (Special Edition, 1968) *exists in R2

- The World Of Henry Orient (1964)

- After The Fox (1966)

* Perhaps a Sellers box set with the newest issues of 'The Naked Truth', 'What's New Pussycat', 'The Blockhouse' and 'Never Let Go'...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks