What's new

"The Mexican" dvd = My review. (1 Viewer)

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Since we own and love a New Beetle (same color too) we had to rent "The Mexican" today. The cast in this film is quite impressive with Pitt, Roberts, Gandolfini, and Hackman. I was quite surprised to find that the disc featured dts sound and the soundtrack was very defined such as the case during the gunshot scenes in the movie, and their are many. The transfer seemed to be very clean and crisp. Colors were vibrant, I did not check to see if their were any special features on the disc but I am sure someone will chime in on this. All in all kind of a surprise, I enjoyed the movie although a little dark at times, kind of an odd ball comedy, luv story, shoot em up, sort of, kind of. A weird movie but I think worth a rental none the less. I don't think I would buy this though, IMHO
Anyone else watch this?
popcorn.gif

------------------
Regards,
Todd

My HT

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The DTS track is not surprising IMHO. It was released by DreamWorks.
Will rent it soon.
Some people say its DD EX and DTS-ES matrix, but from what I've been able to find is that there is no official word that it really was mixed with 6.1 in mind.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Um, I think you might be mistaking Bob Balaban for Gene Hackman. Hackman wasn't in The Mexican.
-Tom

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Spoiler:Hackman is indeed in The Mexican.
The disc has (good quality) Deleted Scenes, a making of documentary, Production Notes, Cast Bio's, and more. The excellent thing for me is the Deleted Scenes and documentary are both Closed Captioned. EXCELLENT!
[Edited last by Mikah Cerucco on August 07, 2001 at 11:34 PM]

Paul Chi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Is the mexican worth buying? The story is so unusual and I am not sure if its worth buying but I really like Brad and julia.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was worth buying. The dvd is excellent both audio and video. Decent quality extras.
Although the movie is a bit weird I think most people would enjoy it.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I loved the movie, and the DVD is excellent (but hey, it's DREAMWORKS -- go figure). It is also one of the only times you'll hear me say this: EVERY DELETED SCENE SHOULD HAVE BEEN LEFT IN.
The drag queen scene was funnier than anything they left in the movie!

jez

Stunt Coordinator
Its pants and to long
frown.gif

------------------
wallsmallbladerunner5.jpg

"You've done a man's job sir. I guess you're through"

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
I rented this last night and was very surprised by it.
Watched it and thought it was going to be a serious drama, but it's really a comedy which was a surprise.
I thought Pitt was great in his dumb surfer boy gone gangster character ... finally he lightens up in a role. James Gandolfini ... well ... there is a surprise that his character has ... Tony Soprano he aint!!!!
Julia was her own charming self ... but also neurotic, which was a change. I actually enjoyed her performance.
The film had a "different" story than most Hollywood pics, and I can see it as a low budget indie John Dahl type of movie with big name actors.
The DTS soundtrack was quite effective with the muscle cars and the gun play and the picture was flawless ... made me want to go to California!
Over all a big surprise for me ... EL CAMINOhh!!!
------------------
RIGHT ... CHEERS!
The Hole

Gary Kellerman

Stunt Coordinator
This is neither the worst or best film I have ever scene. It is a sort of oddball film; almost in a sense a screwball "dark comedy. I though the best part of the plot was at the end about the true story of this pistol which was placed back with its rightful owner. I also liked Gene Hackman's character and his presentation that tied up the movie ending in an interesting manner.
I thought the DTS soundtrack was quite pleasant, particualaly when the brass mexican music soundtrack was playing. There were two prominent surround scenes that I liked. One was the hail of bullets that hit the roof of Pitt's Camino. The other was when Robert's said another word and Pitt drove his truck rather wildly when I think it was a tanker truck almost hits them. You could hear that truck go right over your head. While I am not going to go into the theories of EX sound, both tracks in my opinion with the above scenes mentioned had incredible center back and across the rear surrounds imaging with the DTS reproduction sounding "larger" in scale than the D.D. track.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
For being a star vehicle, The Mexican was also fairly intelligent and well acted. There were also some suprises that you just cannot see coming and they hit you right between the eyes. And there were some comical moments as well, but nothing that would have you rolling on the floor. All in all, a fun, light film that has enough up its sleeve to keep you interested.
The disc is pretty standard stuff. Video, audio are top-notch and the extras are basic-some deleted scenes and fluff featurettes. I don't know about rewatchability on this, but it's worth checking out once.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I finally rented The Mexican after hearing countless (good-natured) jokes about it from my co-workers. Hey, they made a movie about you! Anyway, I liked the offbeat story - kind of a neo-Sam Peckinpah movie. Unfortunately, Julia Roberts' histrionics seriously detracted from my enjoyment of the film. The part probably would have been played better by say, Janeane Garofalo, who would have been a better foil to Brad Pitt's character. As it was, Miss Roberts was just annoying - I was hoping that gun would blow up in her face! I'm not big on Brad Pitt, but I'll give him credit for doing a variety of films and not just Hollywood fluff. One thing though, I know different actors have different mannerisms, but does Pitt really have to wave his arms around all the damn time? It looks like he's being attacked by bees!
I'll agree with the other posters in this thread that the dvd is a nice one - Dreamworks puts out some quality discs.
IMO, The Mexican is worth a look, but it's not a keeper...
------------------
sgon.jpg

"Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
"Mind if I use that line in my next Western?"

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed this film overall and wanted to see watch was going to happen next. but, I found myself trying to "categorize" this film as it never found any genre to fit into. Some movies, such as Ghost or Frequency, often have many elements to it, but at least a central core. I found The Mexican to be confusing in this respect and didn't altogether understand what point it was trying to make. All in all - enjoyable story and good performances, but no distinct direction, IMHO
Elbert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks