What's new

The Metaphysics of HT (1 Viewer)

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
You are doing the right thing!

I have just set up my lowly InFocus X1. The greatest feature is the fact that my screen size is limited only by the actual installed screen in the room. My poor neighbor spent $2500+ on his 57" set 6 months ago, and it's as big as it will ever be.

Honestly - if you have the room for it, go FP.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
tom -

on another side-note, how has your experience been with the magnolia hi-fi guys? i've been in the roseville store a few times and was not too impressed with them...

ted

Tom Logan

Second Unit
Thanks guys. I did go into Magnolia this morning and cancel the Samsung DLP 61--they had it on display...man it looked good! But...the FPs they had in operation looked even better :)

Ted, I've only gone to the Magnolia HiFi at Arden Fair (I live in Natomas Park). The main benefit now I see to them is the 30-day return policy, no questions asked. (Btw, 10 days, not 30 days, is the policy is written on their receipts, but the salesguy gave me 30, writing it on the receipt itself. Don't know if that was because of the $5K purchase amount or my ingratiating manner. But I'll require it for future big $ purchases there.)

Even with my modicum of burgeoning knowledge, I've gotten minor misinformation from the Magnolia salespeople, but you can't beat the store's home theater displays and studios. As I see it, though, that 30-day policy is the reason to buy there. I'll get my expert advice here. :)

Is there a place in the Sac area that you trust for your HT needs?

- Tom

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator

Definately. Of course, on good transfers of scope movies I'm sitting about 8-9' from a 87x49" wide screen and achieving the same subtended field of vision I get at the local multiplex. For movies at aspect ratios

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey tom -

sac is a tough place to find good ht stores.

the only place i kinda like is paradyme over by arden. i received pretty good c/s there and the guy i spoke with (can't remember his name) was cool and knowledgeable.

i tried the paradyme in roseville - those guys are goofballs with attitude.

i still haven't been to audio fx (on howe) so i can't comment there.

good to know magnolia is giving you some flex - i'll be sure to push that if i go back.

let me know when you're setup...i'll bring the pizza! ;)

Tom Logan

Second Unit
Hi Ted,

I'll definitely announce when I'm finished...or least ready to view...is any HT ever truly "finished"?

I haven't been to Paradyme recently. Do you happen to know what their return policy is?

And what kind of set-up did you go with?

- Tom

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
sounds good tom.

i don't exactly remember paradyme's policy, but it was brutal. i think it was something like only a few days (cash back) or a week or two (store credit) -- i remember being turned off by it. but don't quote me. ;)

i haven't picked up anything yet. i'm looking at some denon/paradigm gear, but nothing is really floating my boat yet - plus i just bought a home so i'm pretty much cash poor... :angry:

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
And just to bring this 'round to my original thread post, I should think this FP system in the dedicated room would have a better shot at achieving the immersion that is my HT goal.
I think that you are doing the right thing Tom. I don’t have front projection myself, although if I were able to go to a dedicated room, I’d make the switch in a heartbeat.

I will state that my theatre-going experiences are much more positive than some of those posting on this thread. That may be due to (by now) only attending theaters that have adequate sound and projection systems.

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,

Sounds like your plan has made a change for the better:emoji_thumbsup:
By moving your HT project to a "bonus" room...now you can make that room simply dedicated to the home cinema experience. The room dimensions look fine, and being located away from the other rooms will help with not disturbing others. As for the room being located above the garage, this is an advantage for a couple reasons. First, no one to disturb downstairs. Second, you can route wiring and cables through the floor if necessary to hide them or make long runs.:emoji_thumbsup:

Tom Logan

Second Unit
Thanks again, guys. Nice to know I'm making the right choice by going with FP.

Darren, since yours is an exemplary HT, I'm wondering: did you have design and/or construction help or was it all DIY?

I ask because I see that there are experts (some here at HTF, in fact) that you can pay to design and (if you choose) build the HT.

I guess I'm wondering if it's possible to do it truly well (as you have with yours, Darren) and DIY. I'm not at ALL what you'd call a handyman, but I think I'll have some handy help from capable friends if I decide to build this without professional help.

Thanks for any info!

- Tom

Geno

Supporting Actor
Tom, I have claimed over and over again that I will never go to another theater again. when ppl ask why, I say well ive spent $3000 on my front projector and i cannot afford to go to theaters anymore. now ok i have gone and seen the "big movies" that have come out at the theaters lately, like Lord of the rings, the Two Towers, Matrix Reloaded and Attack of the Clones. One thing I have noticed though while I am at the theater, I am always critiqing it. Not that my HT is in anyway close to the quality of what theaters are, its just that i am so accustomed to my HT and comfortable at my apartment that anything else FEELS inferior. and also, how many times have you asked the movieplex to pause the movie whilst you piss?

PS Darren you have a nice setup. Ive broken into your home many of times just to watch a movie, im surprised that the bass doesnt wake you up :)

Tom if you want to do yor room DIY style, make a list of items or objectives and prioritize them post them online and im sure you will get loads of feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks