What's new

The Mentalist - season 3 thread (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Originally Posted by RichM

I would also think that the whole encounter was probably caught on at least 1 security camera. I would think that will come into play as well as they recreate the crime scene.

Probably on many, but absent sound those could be bad for Jane.

All anybody would see was Jane and the CBI chief sitting at one table while RJ sits at another minding his own business. Then Jane dismisses the CBI boss while talking on the phone to Lisbon. A few minutes later he hangs up with her, walks over to RJ, engages him in conversation for awhile and watches him start walking away. Finally Jane says something that makes RJ stop and turn back, catches up to him and shoots him three times with no obvious threat or provacation from RJ.

Not saying that is an insuperable problem, but it certainly doesn't sound good for Jane.

Regards,

Joe

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by David_Jr

Any chance that the CBI boss is also a mole? Conspiracy deeper than first thought?

He did quote William Blake in an earlier episode, which may have been a red herring. But making it any more convoluted strikes me as being OTT.

I do have to wonder, just what is the hold Red John has on his 'disciples'? He can turn an FBI agent into a cold-blooded murderer, and a cold-blooded assassin kills herself rather than be taken alive to avoid any risk of giving him up.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I've been wondering about that guy at the cash place - the one that Jane locked in the safe. His name was Drake Vermilion. I don't know if it means anything or nothing. Just a thought.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My comments on the season finale:

As it moved to a close, I was starting to think a regular or simi-regular cast member would be killed. I was favoring La Roche as the mole. However, I did think it highly inappropriate for Grace to reveal so much info to her fiance (O'Laughlin?). The first glimpse I got of the guy at another table, I knew he wasn't just an extra. When I saw it was Bradley Whitford, my first thought was RJ was now going to be a recurring on camera character.

I found it reasonable that Jane set up the meeting there in the mall. He thought the CBI boss was the mole and RJ would be there. He probably didn't think anything bad would go down there. The gun was a precaution. If it comes out in court what RJ has done, the jury will not convict Jane regardless. He did not think he was placing Hightower and Lisbon in danger.

When O'Laughlin took the locket from Grace was it an act of kindness? Was he saying he wasn't worthy of her? Or was it just him saying he never loved her at all?

Was RJ sincere about retiring or was he just screwing with Jane? Would he really give up his life's work which he so clearly enjoys?

I have one big problem with Jane killing RJ. If RJ is such an great, evil, genius, why didn't he notice Jane with his hand in his pocket, with a bulge in it pointed at him. I noticed it, but wasn't sure what it was. It seemed to me RJ was too easy to kill.

As for continuing the series:

If RJ is really dead and he really has many, many followers in high places, what becomes of them? Is there a number two in command who is now number one? That could be a subject of many episodes. Something to keep Jane interested. I also find it reasonable for Jane to realize that now that the thing that had been driving him is done, he enjoys working with the CBI and maybe he'll start letting himself to have more feelings for Lisbon.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Steve_Pannell

I've been wondering about that guy at the cash place - the one that Jane locked in the safe. His name was Drake Vermilion. I don't know if it means anything or nothing. Just a thought.

Hmmm. Interesting. But he was such a putz.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Finally saw the episode today.

Originally Posted by Yee-Ming

He did quote William Blake in an earlier episode, which may have been a red herring. But making it any more convoluted strikes me as being OTT.

I do have to wonder, just what is the hold Red John has on his 'disciples'? He can turn an FBI agent into a cold-blooded murderer, and a cold-blooded assassin kills herself rather than be taken alive to avoid any risk of giving him up.
That got me fooled. That William Blake quote made me think that the writers were letting us in on the secret. I thought Lisbon was there at the time and would remember the quote. The actor plays a guy we love to hate so many times (e.g. Gray Anderson in Jericho), that I was sure there was something wrong with him.

We still don't know how many followers Red John had and how he earned such a devoted following.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks